“Lucky to find this hotel in a very busy week” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel des Alpes
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Rue de la Poste, 74000 Annecy, France   |
Ranked #3 of 45 hotels in Annecy
Phuket, Thailand
“Lucky to find this hotel in a very busy week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel because the previous I booked was only available for a night. And it was the relight choice. Nice local hotel and good location. Staff very friendly. But be careful, no elevator. Our room was on the 4 floor but we are young :) so it didn't give us any trouble. Even though the room was a bit small, the hotel have a certain charm that erase everything else. Oh, for the parking, they have an agreement with the Parking de la poste. They offer you the parking fee from 19h to 8h.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Lochcarron, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This two-star hotel is very centrally located, just across from the railway station, and thus very convenient if you are arriving by train; and the attractive old town area is only a few minutes away. The welcome was friendly. There is no lift, but the Manager and (English-speaking) reception staff were helpful in schlepping our luggage up to the second floor.

Modestly priced, rooms are on the small side, as is to be expected in a town centre hotel of this nature, but are attractively furnished, clean, and comfortable enough. Free WiFi is available.

The breakfast buffet is fairly basic but adequate enough, although – given the abundance of lovely fresh fruit and berries on offer on market stalls in the old part of the town – tinned fruit salad was a bit of a turn off.

Tip: for those keen on Japanese food, there is a good Sushi Bar just opposite the hotel, and which also does take-aways, including baguettes, drinks, etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nyon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed one night in Annecy recently and chose the Hotel des Alpes based on reviews here. It was just a few hundred meters from the Railway station and Bus station which was really handy.(you can see the hotel across the road on your left as you go out of the station) The reception is on the first floor and there is no lift but the stairs are OK (first flight concrete then squeaky floorboards :) We got one of the smaller rooms which was OK for one night. I did go around with the receptionist and had a look at some of the other rooms the next day as they were vacant - and they were bigger. Very clean and the bed was surprisingly comfortable, albeit a bit small as we are used to bigger beds. The shower was nice with a good flow, they offer soap and shower gel/ shampoo in the bathrooms, but I did not try these. I did not see a hairdryer - but then again I did not need one so I might have overlooked it. The staff was very helpful and talkative.
Even though the hotel is very close to the station- It was surprisingly quiet at night - we could even have the window open.
From the hotel we went walking around first in the more shopping area on the same side of the lake and then over to the tourist bit in the old town. It was all very beautiful - with cobbled stone streets everywhere - I recommend flat shoes!! Check out was 11.00 which suited me fine. I was allowed to leave my bag at the reception whilst I did some more sight seeing on the last day. So if you need a cheap place to stay in Annecy - this should be your first point of call - definitely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife & I stayed for 2-nights in Annecy and selected Hotel des Alpes based on travel book & Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. The hotel location (close to old city, restaurants, cafes & shopping), our room, the buffet breakfast, and our hosts were all to our liking. Our room (326), even though street-side & facing the train station was very quiet. I do not speak French and our hosts would always try to teach me how to say our room number in French and heartily congratulate me when I got it right - they were lots of fun.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so this could prove to be an issue for anyone with a disability.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

good value. very clean, nice rooms. location is very convenient walk from old town - service very friendly plus hotel pays for over night car parking in local car park.

only downside really is that the breakfast was too expensive

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Fantastic value hotel in a great location for the centre of the lovely town of Annecy, would definitely recommend.
Family of 4, 2 kids under 10. We stayed in a family room with 2 nice, comfy beds pushed together as a double and 2 other single beds, clean, good bathroom and plenty of space. They speak a fair bit of English and there's free wifi. Breakfast was plentiful, varied and good value, my only minor gripe being coffee from a machine and no fresh milk (just my pet hate with France...), but I've had that same gripe at hotels twice the price!
No evening restaurant, I'd recommend the short walk down to the old town for choice as it's a little limited immediately around the hotel.
Things to bear in mind, there's steep stairs and no lift and although it's fantastic if you're coming by train, if you come by car (as we did) Annecy's one way system isn't the most logical! There's a drop off parking spot right outside though and free overnight underground car parking only a block away (2m height restriction), but that car park's pricey during the day, the manager kindly directed us to cheaper nearby alternatives for the day, but not a problem if you're going out to the many great places nearby!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Wow - what a great little hotel! Fantastic value for money in what is a very expensive town. We went to Annecy to watch the Tour De France in July and chose this hotel based on TA reviews. This was not our main holiday this year, so we were doing our TDF trip on the cheap, so to speak. The Hotel Des Alpes fitted the bill perfectly. The building itself was bigger than I expected and the décor was gorgeous. Reception was on the first floor but with no lift and numerous steps, this hotel is not the friend of the less mobile or those with prams.
My partner was a little uneasy about the security of the building as there was no safe in the room and the hotel requested you leave your keys with reception on your way out. Having said that, we experienced no problems in this regard during our stay.
Our room was small but perfectly formed, again with lovely décor. We missed not having a kettle (why no kettle?!) but only missed the absence of air con on one particularly hot night. Do try the 8 Euro breakfast, it was better than some brekkies I've had in 4 star hotels and what a lovely room it's served in. There seemed to be a different receptionist every day we were there (4 nights) and they were all helpful, friendly and spoke great English, unlike everyone else in Annecy! The lack of English both written and spoken in Annecy is staggering. My partner and I both spoke some French but struggled with menu's in particular. When we sought help from the waiters, we found them to be largely rude, unhelpful and in some cases, obnoxious. What a shame. Also to be avoided was the female assistant in the bus depot part of the main station. I approached said woman to enquire about a bus to Geneva. When I asked if she spoke English, she practically spat "no" in my face and that was the end of that! Even one of the receptionists at the hotel expressed her amazement at the lack of English spoken at the main train/bus station in Annecy. I suggest that you direct any questions regarding your stay in Annecy to the lovely receptionists in this hotel.
Despite this, we loved Annecy, how could you not? With a view to rival the Italian Lakes, a multitude of activities on offer and all that fabulous cuisine. We hired bikes for an afternoon and cycled around part of the lake which was fabulous. What a wonderful way to see the glorious lake and the surrounding mountains. The cycle paths are well marked and safe and with no hills to contend with, ideal for everyone.
All in all, this hotel is a great find. Good value for money, central location and English speaking staff. Just a word of advice, if you arrive into Annecy via the main station, just look left as you stand outside the main building and you will see the hotel immediately.

Room Tip: All the rooms look pretty good to be honest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel des Alpes? Share your experiences!