“Older hotel making for thin walls but overall very nice and pleasant.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Splendid Hotel

You added Splendid Hotel to your Saves list
Splendid Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4, quai Eustache Chappuis, 74000 Annecy, France   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Annecy
chicago, il
“Older hotel making for thin walls but overall very nice and pleasant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located right on the lake in the old part of town, making it a good tourist spot. The rooms are clean, spacious, and well-equipped. I did not like the fact that the walls were fairly thin as I frequently heard people talking outside in the halls, moving around in the room above me, and one morning was awoken by hammering at 5:30AM. The staff are friendly and helpful and the free Buffett breakfast is very nice with a good spread. Free Internet is available, but weak wifi connections.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After reading through the Tripadvisor reviews I decided to give the Splendid a try. It turned out to be one of my all time favourite hotels. I regret I could only spend 2 nights!

The hotel is an easy walk from the train station. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful and I was in my room in no time. It was unexpectedly large, separated into a vestibule, the room itself and a big en suite. I had booked a room at the front and I was glad I did as there was a very nice view out towards the lake. There was a lot of cupboard space, an easy to use safe, a bed I slept really well in and tea and coffee making facilities. The decor was not flash but nice all the same. Although on a fairly busy road I was not disturbed by any noise. Wi fi is available although I used the free computer on the 1st floor.

Very minor adverse comments are that the lights were a little too dim and I needed the assistance of the diagram to get the shower working! There is a spa bath.

Maybe breakfasting at the hotel is a little more expensive than going to one of the many nearby places, but it is served in a spectacular breakfast room, has an excellent selection and of course allows you to eat as much as you like. The woman serving breakfast was delightful and helpful. Overall I think the Splendid hotel is good value for money. It certainly didn't break the bank to stay there.

Annecy is a pretty place. The hotel is in an excellent location. Turn right out the front door and you are virtually in the old town. Go left and you are in the shopping district. Out the front is the beautiful lake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front with a view toward the lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

That is a pretty hotel in front of the lake and very near the old center. Our room was large, confortable and with lake's view. The breakfast was good but not included in the rate, this is the normal in French hotels.

Room Tip: rooms face the lake are more pleasant
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St Cloud, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of european hotels and this one ranks high on the list. The location was near everything, the room was large, the bed and pillows were very satisfactory and the bath was a nice size with a tub and shower. The staff was friendly. Nothing negative to say about this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Trento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hotel Splendid is a nice hotel situated in a strategic position. It is on the lake and 2 minutes - walking distance- from the centre. Close by there is a parking, the hotel usually pay the night rate.
The room are nice, clean, comfortable, nothing of stunning, but for a 3 star is ok. the breakfast is a little bit expensive - 13euros- so I suggest you to go in a good coffee shop and to have a wonderful croissant!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We arrived very early at the hotel. Although it was the 1st of October, I was very impressed that we were able to get into our room at 11 in the morning. Front desk clerk was pleasant and after I asked her in French if she could understand English, she accommodated me which I really appreciated. I asked to change my room, not because it was a bad room but we wanted a view of the street and lake. Without hesitation, Amil gave me two keys and said, "see which one you like and then let me know which one you prefer". The room was super clean. We were happy for the coffee pot and the great candy supplied every day!!!!

I disagree with the other reviews about the noise. The windows had double glass shutters which held out all of the street noise. A very good night's rest. I bugged the front desk for information constantly the first day. However, they were always willing to help me without hesitation or irritation.

Perfect location for old town. Right around the corner to the grocery store, so be sure to frequent it. Also, the park and canals are right across the street as well as the tourist office. I could not think of a better hotel in Annecy. Plus, they helped out with parking in the evening, which is also right across the street from the hotel.

The gentlemen on the afternoon/evening shift gave me great directions to the airport in Geneva which saved our butt due to an accident we hit the day we left. Also, I think her name was Amil, who had the morning shift , was always accommodating and kind.

Honestly, we have traveled all over the world and I can't really say anything but "Thank you for the perfect stay in Annecy France". When we come back, Hotel Splendid will be our choice...,.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Lake. Don't be concerned about the noise. Really not an issu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in May 2012 with a friend. The staff is very friendly, the hotel very clean (and I'm a clean freak, so this says a lot) and the location was perfect. It was very close to downtown Annecy and directly across from the lake, however yes, it can be a bit noisy as it is on the main road. We are not talking highway here, I'm from the Philadelphia / NYC area of U.S., so certainly not too noisy for me. Annecy is a beautiful town and certainly worth the visit. The lake is beautiful and if you like biking, kayaking and roller blading it is a dream. I could have bike for hours as the weather and scenery was beautiful...May was a great time to go, not too busy. I imagine the summer can be quite crazy. Overall great stay, in a very nice hotel and beautiful little French town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends