“Quirky and characterful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Annecy
West Sussex, England
“Quirky and characterful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very well situated between the station, the lake and the beautiful old town this is a quirky, colourful, good value b&b hotel in a period town house building. Our en suite room was very clean with all the necessary facilities and our bed, comfortable. It was okay for size but there was not enough room for any chairs or many flat surfaces to put stuff down. The breakfast was just basic continental but nice all the same. The owner and staff were very friendly, helpful and spoke very good English. There are no lifts so guests need to climb stairs. This was okay for us but wouldn't suit everyone. We enjoyed our four night stay, loved Annecy and would stay at this hotel again if we returned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for a 1 night stop over in Annecy to catch up with some friends. It is in a great central location near the bus and train station and only a 5 minute walk from the old town, 10 minutes from the lake.

The aquatic themed room was quite cute in a bohemian way, however there was some unnecessary stuff like a second headboard! It had a sweet little balcony but due to its' location was very noisy (you have to have the balcony doors open to keep cool at night). This didn't bother me as I used earplugs but my fiancée had a bad night's sleep because if that and the lack of air-con. The only real negative was the lack of en-suite toilet, this is shared down the hall. If you want a quiet night this is not the place for you, but if you don't mind the hustle and bustle it is cheap for such a convenient location.
The Spanish receptionist was friendly and helpful. We did not take breakfast there based on previous reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My lovely stay in Hotel Central was ruined at the last moment. I'd had such a perfect time: the décor of the hotel was wonderful, the breakfast was perfect, interactions with the hostess had been pleasant. But then returning in the afternoon to collect my suitcases, I mixed up the times the reception desk was available. French is not my first language, so when the hostess said AFTER 5pm, I heard UNTIL 5pm. I misunderstood. The hostess was EXTREMELY rude to me for what was a very genuine mistake. She shouted at me in French, even though I apologised and offered to return at 5pm. She was very unpleasant, and made a show of letting me get my suitcase, even though it inconvenienced her. I left the hotel feeling quite awful. What WAS a positive experience quickly turned quite terrible.

I understand irritation at having your schedule misunderstood, but this mistake could have been dealt with in a far more professional way. To treat a guest like this is so beyond out of line. So disappointing for what is otherwise a very nice establishment. I had plans to return to the hotel with friends and family, but now I will not be staying at Hotel Central again. I recommend a nice B&B with a similar ambiance, but better customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Castelfranco Emilia, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Central about a week ago for 6 nights. It had kind of a hippy vibe, which we kind of liked, and the price was very low. We later discovered that there was a reason for such a low price. We stayed the first 2 nights in one room and then moved to another room with a bathroom in it, but instead of giving us fresh towels and linens they moved the old ones from our room into the new room! We stayed 6 nights without a change of bed linens and using the same towels. We also paid 6 euros each for breakfast, and the breakfast never changed. Every day we had 1 croissant each, a baguette, little jam packets, and juice and hot tea. For that amount of money go out and have pastries at the tea house down the street. Also, I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you've had a recent injury, have arthritis, or a heart condition. To reach our room we had to go up 3 flights of stairs. It wasn't a problem for us but I can see how it might be for some people.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, choose the 'blue' room on the canal. If you want a bathroom, choose t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. The location is perfect. Had a small balcony, and a double bed. No bathroom in the room, but a toilet on the floor and a shower on the main floor. The room was pointed against a small canal, with a nice view. The hotel is in a "apartment" building so it is really like living in the real Annecy. The room was 45 euro pr. night, and you can pay 6 euro pr day for breakfast if you like. The staff is so friendly and helpful, and it is very clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
varies
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

A few weeks back I'd made a reservation to stay at Hotel Central via email. I'd exchanged a variety of emails with the host to ensure our reservation. However, when we arrived, our reservation was no where to be found and the host immediately wanted to know with who I'd had these email conversations - presumably so she could speak with whoever had made the mistake. So, although we'd already mentioned that we were short on time due to another engagement that afternoon, we were asked to pull up the email conversation regarding our reservation. And as it turned out, she was the one I'd conversed with.

Then, even before being shown the room we were to stay in (thankfully they weren't fully booked) she wrote us up a receipt and demanded we pay the two nights ahead. We explained to the host that we'd prefer to see the room before paying as she'd never before mentioned we'd have to pay ahead. We realize it is a small place but don't feel it's unreasonable to ask to see what we're paying for before we pay. She agreed to show us the room, however by this point we were really running out of time to make it to our other appointment so we asked to simply return to the hotel later in the afternoon. The host made it clear there would be no guarantee the reservation would be held until later in the afternoon and we agreed. However, when she realized this meant we were leaving without depositing our things or the money (with the possibility that we'd not return) the initial disorganization and chaos with the reservation issue turned into a very uncomfortable situation. She proceeded to shout at us and slam the door in our face.

Needless to say, I'd not recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

A nice old lady receveid me, i stayed there with 3 friends on friday.. A room for 4 was 19€ per person, perfect! The room was clean, but the bathroom was a little small, but fine for the price i payed. Near all the things you have to see in Annecy, and also near good restaurants. I loved it!
Recommended 100%