“Not a 5-star hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugues & Spa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugues & Spa to your Saves list
Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugues & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Chemin Canto-Cigalo, 13210 Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France   |
Zurich, Switzerland
“Not a 5-star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have spend one week in this hotel at the end of July 2012 - beginning of August. We spend one night in a loggia room with balcony because no junior suite was available for the first night. The room was extremely small. We have been upgraded in a suite with terrasse for the rest of the week. The room was ok but not very large as well. Do not expect to have suite of the size that match a suite in a 5-star hotel in a big city. Furthermore the room is not well insulated, you can hear what your neighbour is doing in the room next to yours.

The car park is relatively small but free of charge which is a plus. If you get back to the hotel a dinner time, you may not find any places left because of the guests which come to dine in the restaurant. The quality of the food is excellent in both the gastronomic restaurant and the bistrot for lunch and dinner. The breakfast does not meet the standard for a 5-star hotel and surely not worth the 23 euros/pers. You have very limited choices: e.g only one type of fresh bread, no margarine or light butter and so on. Don't come to late to the buffet because not everything is being replaced. The service at the breakfast is slow, and plates are accumulating on your table.

As it was high season there weren't enough sunbeds around the pool so people get up early in order to reserve their sunbeds which is ridiculous for a 5 star hotel. The fitness is ok (no free weights). The indoor and outdoor pool are large and clean.

Overall the hotel lacks spaces (except for the gastronomic restaurant). A good 4-star hotel but definitely not a 5-star. Try to avoid high season, not worth the price at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I just returned from St Remy -de-Provence and was so looking forward to staying at this 5* property and unwinding a bit...I must say that I was sadly disappointed...the hotel reminds me of a great lady who is aging...the rooms are clean and fairly large, the amenities in the bathroom and the bedroom are fine, but...there are stains and scratches all over the tub (so many that at first I thought the tub hadn't been cleaned)..there were power outages repeatedly (enough so that you didn't want to ride in the elevator), wi-fi reception was great in the hall outside the room (not in it)..and the breakfast had the runniest eggs (almost liquid) and least- cooked bacon of any hotel I've ever been to... the pool was lovely, but there was no attendant, so that when later in the day, the towels had run out, you had to go into the hotel and go to reception to get someone to replenish them...some of the staff behaved as if they would have rather been somewhere else..I hate to write a review that isn't positive, but if the hotel wants to maintain it's 5* rating, they have some work to do.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the gardens, not over the Bistro restaurant..
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel was lovely, but overpriced for what it was. We spent 2 days relaxing in St Remy by the pool of Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugeues. The hotel was clean and comfortable. I had a great night sleep in a comfortable bed, with a nice bathroom. I looked out my window onto a scraggly view (and though maybe the time of year - I didn't see any lovely views out windows.) Housekeeping was very attentive. On the whole though it was a bit stuffier than charming, mostly because the staff as a whole was not particularly warm or helpful. We were greeted warmly at the front desk, however each time I went back for help people at the desk took phone calls and did paperwork before helping me. It was close enough to town to go out for dinners, though we did eat lunch at the hotel. The wait staff was polished, but not exceptionally helpful when I would make a request. I felt gouged by the breakfast price - there is no way to walk out and grab coffee and a croissant next door - or as a breakfast option in the hotel. Instead I was way overcharged for a breakfast that I didn't need. (They are famous for a gastronomique kitchen which we did not try.) Overall, the hotel was nice, comfortable, clean but nothing exceptional for a 5 star hotel with an expensive bill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I hesitate to say exactly how wonderful this hotel is, I am tempted to keep it to myself as my secret piece of heaven.

This was our second visit, two years ago for 5 nights, and we're now at the end of a 13 night stay.       We already plan to return.

Situated about a 7 minute stroll outside St Remy de Provence, this 5 star hotel goes the extra mile to make your stay enjoyable, relaxed, cosseted and pampered.

The hotel boasts two restaurants for evening meals, a bistro which was enjoyable but we were a little disappointed and the Michelin starred gastronomic slice of perfection where we dined twice, and every mouthful was a treat for the senses.

The staff are almost without exception - exceptional.  From Penelope and Caroline on reception, to all the restaurant staff, each breakfast, comment or query was dealt with quickly, with a smile and always politely.  The poolside staff kept towels, umbrellas and the pool itself spotless and inviting.

Special mention to the housekeeping staff.  Wonderful, efficient and as invisible as ghosts, and yet - twice a day, clean towels, turn down service, cleanliness to commend and a generosity to note with regard to the bathroom products - something that other 5 star hotels could learn to copy.

Sheer heaven and it made for the most wonderful holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is not in the city. It is 10 mins walk in the quaint country road to get to the city. It is very cold and impersonal in the lobby. The dinner was excellent. The service in the restaurant was equally excellent. If you are driving, this is a place to stay as they have parking spaces. From this spot we visited Mont Ste Victoire, the medieval center of lovely Aix en Provence. You could see the provencal landscapes that inspired Van Gogh everywhere. There were cypress trees, flowers and olive groves in every directions to greet us. From this hotel, we also went to the Pont du Guard, an ingenious 2000 years old Roman aqueduct spanning the River Gardon. We also visited the award winning olive oil producerMaussane les Alpilles. Next day, we went to Medieval Wall city of Avignon, where popes reigned from 1309to 1376. A visit ito the Palais des Papes revealed its Gothic glories with which thepopes of Avignon surrounded themselves. What I am saying is this hotel is a pleasure to return to at the end of the day even if the frontdesk staff was cold.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Damien_Gallon, General Manager at Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugues & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Mr YKNIP,

We would like to thank you for letting us know about your stay with us and we do apologize if you have felt our reception team somehow not welcoming. We assure you that we are doing our best to make our guest stay unforgettable. We also thank you for explaining so well what we can visit or discover in Provence such as Van Gogh museum, Aix en Provence, Palais des Papes in Avignon… we are hoping to see you again in the nearest future.
Best regards,
General manager
Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Vallon de Valrugues is a bit vulgar - the natural home of the perma-tanned rich and the c list celebrity. We last stayed here 10 years ago when it was a somewhat simpler affair. We fetched up here again on a very wet Sunday at the start of a camping holiday when the extent of the deluge dissuaded us from putting up the tent. We paid 340 euros for a 'standard room'. As it was, I rather wished we had forked out the extra 30 euros for a junior suite as both the room and the bathroom were quite small though both were nicely appointed. Staff were reasonably helpful though there was a rather impersonal feel to it all. It was comfortable but overall the place lacks charm. Be aware too that it is not in the centre of town, and takes a good ten minutes on foot, on a very small road that nonetheless can feel at times like a race track for the hotel clientele. The swimming pool was nice and warm though, even at 6 o'clock on a rather dull Monday morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs Cajwatson,
We would like to thank you for your comment and kindly inform you that our outdoor swimming pool is heated during our middle and high season. We do apologize for the lack of friendliness at our restaurant, we are going to work on it and we are hoping to see you again in our hotel in the nearest future.
Best regards,
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I do a fair amount of traveling because of work, so I am used to many hotel chains in many World cities. Some are good, some are just ok, some are really refreshing, but then there's Le Vallon de Valrugues. I rarely write a review unless the experience is atrocious. In this case, it was the total opposite. It made my business trip even more pleasurable than vacation. Service was highly efficient and professional. Staff was courteous and dynamic. Room was exceptionally comfortable. It looked as if I had been the first guest in it. The services offered are of excellent value for the quality you are provided. They have outstanding supervision of parking lot. I had a rental car with insurance anyway, but I believe this would make a difference for anyone driving his or her own vehicle. I truly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling on business to have a refreshing time and for families looking for a truly beautiful and peaceful place to wind down. I might even make this my next vacation spot with family next year. I am extremely pleased with the whole experience.
PS: I am not rating breakfast because I did not eat one both days I stayed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugues & Spa? Share your experiences!