“Great dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London
“Great dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have just discovered a new and very good restaurant in Salon-de-Provence during a recent trip to visit my mother.....and I am very pleased as, over the years, I often had to drive out of town to eat at my favorite places. Le Salon des Gourmets has opened fairly recently (18months ago I believe) in the City centre and has replaced what used to be a simple Pizzeria. And what adifference! Despite the last review which was very negative we decided to give it a try and we had one of the best lunches I have had in a long time, especially in Provence where restaurants are often over-priced and disappointing.

The interior decoration is sober; the service very friendly and efficient. It is not a cheap option for a quick lunch as the first menu starts at 31euro upwards but for the quality of the food and the welcome we received I would gladly pay this price all over again, and more. I cannot comment on the wine list as we did not have any but I certainly was impressed with the food. My fish soup was excellent and better than any I have tasted in my hometown of Marseilles in a long time. The assortment of three homemade terrines my mother chose as a starter was also apparently very good. As a main course she had some Pied Paquets ( another speciality from Marseilles made with tripe, an acquired taste I admit) served with tagliatelle. As for my Gambas cooked in Pastis served on a bed of parmesan risotto, well I thought this was one of the best risotto I ever had; I am very partial to Parmesan and it definitely was the real thing. The desserts did not disappoint either: an apple pie beautifully presented and a praliné millefeuille light and crunchy which would not be out of place in a top patisserie. And they were definitely homemade which is more than can be said for a lot of restaurants these days. The only thing I would say is that there were only two options to choose from on the 31euro menu and if you did not like seafood or offal you would have had to go for the menu. Having said that a main dish and a dessert would probably have been sufficient and still reasonably priced.
Adding to this complimentary 'mise en bouches' to start the meal and 'mignardises' (petit fours) with coffee, lovely warm bread rolls, attention to detail in the presentation and decent size portions for food of this quality and you have two very happy customers. And the very talented young chef even took the trouble to come and see us at the end of the meal to ask if everything went well. I am going back to France soon and I know what one of my first visits will be!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Terrible...1st time that this happened in France...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

In all these years we visited France we never experienced anything culinary worse than this one... We are from the Netherlands so we know our stay-aways when it comes to lunch quality. But never we have been more disappointed in the French food than today. Once this restaurant was probably a big hit somewhere ten years ago when the Haut-Cuisine introduced herself beyond the streets of Paris & Lyon. But then it stopped in this kitchen. The plates look old fashioned and ' campy' (in dutch we call it 'kitsch'), we had a mille-feuille with crab, but the smell coming from our plates was not nice at all. Thank God we are still alive, but let's hope we will survive the night. Then the main 'plat': coquilles saint jacques with risotto and parmasan cheese. The coquilles were not bad, but not nicely cut from their shell. Both my fishy friends had hard pieces on their sides. The risotto was too hard, too heavy, too porridge-like. Meanwhile I noticed that other people on the terrace were not happy at all, because the service was too slow. They left and they were right! We did not order desert. Not only because the waitress was not paying any attention to our eye-contacts and arm-movements, but simply because we were afraid of what was about to come. Finaly we stood up, walked over to the counter inside and asked if we could pay our bill. The lady asked if everything was allright. We tried to explain to her what we thought about the dishes, but I don't think she got it. Instead we were presented a 75 euro total for the two entrees, 2 plats and 2 wine. The last was not bad at all, but overall we were not satisfied at all with this restaurant. Maybe a bad day for the kitchen, but I rather doubt it.

Visited August 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Un Repas De Roi.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This Restaurant has a very good menu for a reasonable price.Our meal was excellent cook to perfection and their choice of wine was the right one for what we ate.

Visited July 2013
munich
“Overpriced and my wife was sick afterwards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were there on a Friday evening and only saw about four other guests. The young waitress tried really hard to be helpful. The food and wine are overpriced. The first course was actually quite good, but so large that we were no longer hungry. The main course and dessert were not so interesting. Had a small bottle of Leffe beer for 6 Euros and a small glass of wine for 8.50 Euros and a bottle of water for 9 Euros, which is expensive. Unfortunately my wife was sick immediately afterwards, so it's not a restaurant that we will be going back to.

• Visited May 2013