“First class hotel, friendly staff, immaculate.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 123 Hotels in Marseille
Norway
“First class hotel, friendly staff, immaculate.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in an Executive King room with my wife and 3yr old son. From the grand entrance, efficient valet service and friendly & fast check-in through to spotless very well appointed room, I was really impressed with this hotel. I have stayed in many 5* hotels for business and leisure and this is one of the best. I was 100% happy with my stay. Good breakfast al fresco with quite a view. Highly recommend this hotel. Only negative was not with the hotel but with IHG customer support in US who were awful in helping with my booking. Luckily the hotel sorted it out.

• Stayed July 2013
François P, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are proud of being named one the best hotel experienced by yourself and glad to hear that everything went really well during your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back here very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited the property in late June. Check in was well executed. We engaged the concierge for recommendations and learned she was four generation from the city.

The room was very well appointed The view from the oversized terrace was breathtskingn and well worth the price. Room size was very comfortable and the stand alone tub is a nice feature.

Food and drinks were of course not cheap but both resturants overlook the water so the worth paying just for the views. While the property is brand new hotel with a few growing pains, it was worth the price. On our way to breakfast we were surprised to see a host of fire trucks driving up to the hotel- seems that someone was trapped in the elevator.

Not sure how much time I would soend in the town but as hotels go, this one is worth staying at.

Stayed June 2013
Celine R, Directeur général at InterContinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Ahg2,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel. We were very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. There are many things to see and do in the city and the Provence, please contact Audrey, our Chef Concierge, whenever you are planning on coming back so we can put together an interesting and worthwhile experience!

Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently experienced the restaurant of this new hotel. Design is ok nothing outstanding but elegant and respecting the soul of the place...some material are not really 5star but the overall feeling make it the best place in town. The original building and the restaurant terrace are amazing with unique view on the famous Marseille's church "Notre Dame de la Garde"! We were expecting elegant service ... but during our lunch we faced dirty shirts, bad make up unclean hair...I'm talking about the people serving food!! we identified a lady as a general manager, same as the rest of staff she was not clean, not properly hair dressed and really casual....So how to expect elegance from the service when the raw model is not a raw model? The worst was a waiter delivering dishes who dropped some food (petits farcis) on the floor and didn't pay attention (didn't apology or change the plate).. other waiters walked on it and spread it other the terrace... whereas we told them to clean...
Anyway, food was great (petits farcis were not for us...)!! We really enjoyed the creative cuisine mixing Provence dishes and some twist from the Mediterranean costs. A must try... without service expectation...

Room Tip: Best rooms are facing the church, and best tables are by the terrace without an umbrella hiding part...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DubaiHiggins,

Thank you for your post. I have waited a few days before answering as
my first reaction was one of total indignation. In over 25 years of
international hotel career, I have never been told that I was dirty,
badly hair dressed and casually clothed. I have taken this as a
personal insult as well as the opinion expressed in the same matter
about our staff. I think it is important to take feedback and do
something with it, as long as it is valuable feedback. After a couple
of days of reflection, my indignation has not changed for
understanding and I do not feel I can do anything with a personal
attack about my cleanliness. I also find it very difficult to believe
that a platter that fell on the ground was served to a guest, I have
personally looked at the video surveillance and not been able to see
anything remotely resembling. I will therefore ask TripAdvisor to
remove your comment from our site.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was there the weekend of the 20, 21 July 2013, beautiful hotel, real luxury. Staff friendly and VERY presentable to say the least, great Spa, Gym, the food was exquisite, the service could not be any better, the room cleaned to the Hilt, the hotel is conveniently set in the centre, the live music is amazing, yes it was hot in Marseille, but that was not a problem, a fascinating experience , will be in extant for years to come, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Mine was 214, great room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Alex J,

Thank you for your post. We are proud of being named the best hotel ever by yourself! We all look forward to welcoming you back here very soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The building is magnificient and very impressive when you arrive. The hotel is brand new and the design is a perfect balance between modernity and comfort. Our room was beautiful and the service we received was very professional. A special mention to 1of their staff Arnaud at the reception was most welcoming and attentive to our request. He is a true asset to this hotel.
We cannot imagine to stay at another hotel, we highly recommend the intercontinental in Marseille.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter Y

We are very honoured with your recommendation! We will extend a special thanks to Arnaud at the Front Office and we all look forward to welcoming you back here very soon!

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference in Marseilles. The hotel is housed in a former hospital which has been wonderfully remade into an iconic and stunning looking hotel overlooking the old port. It looks especially stunning at night when it is lit up and can be seen from across Marseilles.

My room was equally as nice. Spacious and tastefully decorated with a large bath and shower room, comfortable bed and everything you would expect of a 5 star hotel. The room also had free wifi.

There were a few problems however, for the price of the hotel my view of a hotel courtyard (still being remodelled) was a big disappointment. Another issue was when I went to use the pool and was kindly taken poolside where there were no changing facilities. You have to go back up to another floor to change which would have been useful to mention when you arrive at the health centre.

On the second day while working from my room I was repeatedly interrupted by the housekeeping staff despite having the 'do not disturb' sign on. If they were not knocking on the door they were calling the room to ask if I wanted my room cleaned. My fourth and final problem was on the final day when I was woken by the noise of a hotel door opening and slamming shut repeatedly, it was extremely loud and annoying. After 25 mins I went out to see what was going on, the maintenance man looked a touch shocked when I asked him to please stop it. To their credit the hotel apologised and offered me a complimentary breakfast.

I have no doubt that with better staff training and when the hotel has fully completed its restoration this hotel will be worthy of its full 5 stars, but not quite yet. For the price I would expect the best of the best and this was not it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the inner courtyards.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Scott C

Thank you for your valuable feedback which will help us get better and improve our service. It is true that the access and changing facilities of the swimming pool are confusing as unfortunately we had to build within existing spaces and walls. But you are absolutely correct in saying that we have to explain how the access works. We have also shared your feedback with our maintenance and housekeeping departments as these are obviously not are regular standards of service. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally prior to your next visit to Marseille - we will be pleased to offer you an upgrade to a Harbor View room.

With kind regards,

New Hope, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Awesome hotel with awesome service. The rooms are beautiful and we hated to check out. Our room had a huge balcony with a great view of the harbor. All of the staff are super nice and extremely helpful. This is without a doubt THE place to stay in Marseilles. Steps to the port and all of the action. You are making a mistake if you stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear PA_Razorback

Thank you for sharing your outstanding post! We were very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kind regards

Madelijn.vervoord@ihg.com

Been to InterContinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu? Share your experiences!