“good service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 124 Hotels in Marseille
Bandung, Indonesia
“good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

this is a tipical novotel with good rate and good service,.
breakfast is really a good one, with scramble eggs, fresh pastries, good coffee etc.
Recommand to spend a bit of time on terrace after breakfast as it is certainly the best view of the old port in town, fantastic.

Room Tip: try to get port view but maybe a bit more expensive, I have no idea.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Some of the staff are the main reason for an average rating, the hotel is very modern very clean with good sized rooms and on a good bus route for train station /city ect, from t/station buss 82s.
We stayed two nights breakfast on first day very good quantity and quality with only a few guests, but on second day a group of some 40/50 people where using breakfast that should be fine in a large hotel but the staff seemed only to have time for cleaning tables so no scrambled eggs for us and at the end of our breakfast say 30 mins still no scrambled eggs refreshed, also on first day reported to reception that toaster at b/fast did not work on second day still same broken toaster.
We had booked an upgrade to executive room but on reading some reviews cancelled, on arrival booked in other than asking for my credit card and giving us the key nothing said by receptionist, room very clean both days good white linen on beds and towels in b/room.
only problem with room was that your view was blighted by air conditioning ducts on roof outside window.
The room had a Nespresso coffee maker and a fridge with drinks neither used.
On booking out we find we have been charged for an executive room some 90 Euros I try to explain my cancelation but to no avail, I point out that as an Accor club member I had used some 10000 points to pay for this room and as a gold card member at time of booking I would expect a FREE upgrade to a better room than I had especialy as the hotel was under occupied but had a plane to catch so just paid,
Also asked did they have an outside area to drink "no" I ask what about the pool area one of the reasons we booked this hotel, "closed it is not the season" this is April in the South of France the temperature was at midday around 24 degrees and forcast was to stay the same ???????, but again no interest shown by staff did not wish to swim just sit outside.
Have emailed Accor 3 days ago but no reply to date.
we have two more hotels booked this year through Accor, the Winter Palace and the Cataract both in Egypt where fortunately I know service will be much better, also our last hotel with Accor was in February in Wetherby Yorkshire the service knocked spots off the Novotel Marseille for a third of the cost, Just very disapointed

Room Tip: above 4th floor if wanting a port view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
NovotelVieuxPort, Responsable réception at Novotel Marseille Vieux Port, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your comments and we apologize ourselves for encountered problems.
You had booked an Executive room via Internet by asking for an upgrade. Via Internet the banking transactions are made safe and transit via the website OGONE. The flow of the credit cards is automatic. The Hotel does not have banking access neither to the flows nor with the card numbers. The sum output on your credit card was thus the rising one for which you had booked.

At Novotel, Upgrade is not automatic for Le Club Accor Membership however we do it with pleasure as soon as we can.

A credit card is always requested at arrival.

Our outdoor areas were closed because our terrace was in work. We’re legally not allowed to open the terrace with the customers for this period (order of the commission of security). We are pleased now to announce to you that our new terrace and our swimming pool are open since April 12th.

Do not hesitate, sir, to contact me directly at the hotel. It is with pleasure that I will offer you some points Le club in order to compensate you.

Hoping to again accommodate you in Novotel Vieux Port
Grenoble
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Family stay, 2 adults and 2 young children (i am in a wheelchair). Called for an adapted room for wheelchair users. Told me to take a 180 euro room per night that will be ok. When i entered the room, i could not enter the toilet room and could not access the shower which was narrow and with a big step. Called the reception who told me i had booked this room so they could not do anything for me. I told them that the woman from the call center made me book it, but they did not want to take their responsabilities. Another very nice surprise: when i tried to access the outside pool the elevator was broken. The technical service lazy employee told me that it had never worked: then why don t you have it repaired? The
Customer service is terrible and not in phase at all with the high prices of the room

• Stayed October 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I didn't find the rooms to be shabby, but they weren't anything to get excited about. Typical miniscule TV (for Italy) and average furnishings. Mostly though, there are two concerns. Service staff at the front desk were accommodating, but when you go to check out or check in, allow yourself plenty of time. They just don't seem to have a system in place to handle this basic service and with large groups coming and going you could spend a LONG time waiting. As for the food, the restaurant experience downstairs was the worst I had in 3 weeks of European travel. Staff was nonchalant. The steaks were the worst pieces of meat I've ever had, anywhere, any time. The food was truly horrible. All this for 110 euro for two. Eat in town.

I didn't realize that the Sofitel hotel was essentially in the same building and I walked into their lobby by mistake. Nothing but regret for having chosen the poor cousin.

The location is very close to the Pharo Park and the hotel is a 15 minute walk to the further inland part of the Old Port.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Reception good, position of hotel good.
No smoking room stank of smoke.
Hotel generally in need of physical make-over.
Evening restaurant staff are the most rude and arrogant I have ever met.
I do not expect a lecture and a finger wagged in my face because I asked for help with the menu. The restaurant had 3 customers, but the staff had perfected the art of looking busy while not serving the guests.
The breakfast was fine, but this hotel needs a lot of work in order to meet the expectation of customers who regularly use the Novotel brand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelVieuxPort, Responsable réception at Novotel Marseille Vieux Port, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear,

We are absolutly sorry and desapointed about your experience in our restaurant, as if i'm sure that nobody really wag a finger in your face. Our team always try to do the best for each guest we welcome. We miss something with you when you came. Accept our appologize for this. Next time you come don't hesitate to inform us (the duty manager for exemple) directly at the hotel if you had a problem. It's with pleasure and profesionalism that we can help you and applicated our quality promise YOU! I think that you don't sleep in our hotel but in the neighbour hotel because he had already transmited your complain. If you come another time in Marseille don't hesitate to contact me directly,

The Front office Manager
Manizales, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We just visited this Novotel, and find the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel itself was a bit rundown, but no major complaints. Location great, just nextdoor to Pharo gardens, and a easy walk to the old port quartier. Parking lot: not convenient at all, very reduced spaces! Otherwise, a good affordable option to discover Marseilles...

Stayed October 2013

Been to Novotel Marseille Vieux Port? Share your experiences!