“really good use of time” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: A new way to explore Marseille !Greeters are local volunteers from Marseille who accompany you on your walk, unveil their secret places and top addresses and regale you with fun little stories about the enigmatic Marseille-Provence area.
London, United Kingdom
“really good use of time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Really recommended.. Catherine showed us around, took us to some really interesting spots, showed us where the local market was where we could pick up what we wanted inexpensively. We met local artists & craftsmen around the Cours Julien area. We could ask her questions about anything, which was really helpful.. My son really enjoyed it too and we got some souvenirs of our visits. We made a small donation, which was more than reasonable..

Visited April 2014

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

marseillegreeters, Gérant at Marseille Provence Greeters - Private Tours, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your review about our association. We're really glad that you enjoyed your stroll with Catherine.
We hope Marseille pleased you as well.

• Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
20 attraction reviews
“Don't miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I don’t know how to rate our trip with Marseille Provence Greeters. In other countries they have fixed hours. “Look for the yellow umbrella at 10 o’clock in front of X basilica etc”. Then the tour starts about 2-3 hours. If you like it you give a tip, if not you leave. This time it was a bit different. I had to make a reservation via mail. I received in short time an offer that a greeter named Ugo would show us Marseille that we could tailor it according to our preferences. I thought how will be this possible? There will be other people as well and how do they gather people together with the same preferences? We stayed at Hotel Peron and Ugo offered to meet in front of it since he was close to the hotel. He came at 9 o’clock as planned. Finally I realized that there would be no one else! How great! He showed us so many places. We walked along the Corniche, we went to Notr Dame De La Garde, we saw Le Panier, the ancient bakery selling navettes, Mucem, some parks, even Novailles the district which was described as a bit different (actually we felt perfectly safe nothing dangerous according to our perception). We had lunch together and it was a place preferred by locals which I liked. Ugo told us so much about the city and all of a sudden I realized that it was 4 pm! At the end of our trip we wanted to give him a tip. He told us that he can take it as a donation to Marseille Provence Greeters and that I would receive 2 e-mails. One to rate about the tour and the other one related to the donation. I have received the first e-mail but I was asked whether I would like to donate because of the services I have received. I informed them that we made a donation at the end of the tour but I haven’t received any reply so far. This is the only vague thing. Other than this little issue it is perfect!

I haven’t met other greeters but I am sure they are pretty much like him, devoted to Marseille. I think if you plan a trip to Marseille don’t miss this walking tour! It was a great experience to stroll around with a local, to see the city through their eyes and hear about so many interesting stories.

I also would like to add that we were 2 girls on trip. We had no safety concern at all in Marseille. Local people like the lady at the hotel in which we stayed and policemen in La Panier were more concerned. Of course they know better since they live there but if you act cautiously like in other places in the world it is just a normal city. At least this was our experience. I hope this will contribute to your decision whether to pay a visit to Marseille and that you do opt for this walking tour. It was beyond our expectations. Great job!

Visited March 2014
marseillegreeters, Gérant at Marseille Provence Greeters - Private Tours, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for your review about Marseille Provence Greeters. We're very glad you both enjoyed your walk with Ugo and saw the real face of Marseille.

We noticed in your review that you didn't received the email to thank you for your donation. We're very sorry about that ! We're gonna make a search and will send you the email as Ugo told you would.

Thanks again for the great review !

New Albany, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
“We will use the greeters always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We found a really good deal on a train from and back to Paris and tried to make it a one day quick tour of Marseille. I travel a lot and am quite independent (I usually rent a car and book direct for most of the attractions we go to). Since we were only going to be there about 10 hours I thought I might need some help so we could see more. I read tripadvisor quite completely before a trip and thought I knew what to do and where to go but decided to try this group. Isabelle showed us around (even a boat trip out to an island on a warm day in early March) and she became a friend for life. I had told her that I had been pickpocketed two days before in Paris and was wary because of what I was told in Paris about this area but Isabelle stayed with us the whole time and changed her normal stroll to do anything we thought we wanted to do. We could not have seen Marseille the way we did without her and it was beautiful day we will not forget. Thank you Greeters; Isabelle told us about Greeters in other cities and we will look for them everywhere we go.

Visited March 2014
marseillegreeters, Gérant at Marseille Provence Greeters - Private Tours, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your review, we're really happy to see you enjoyed the city and you made friend with Isabelle.
And also that you want to use Greeters everywhere you go :).

The MPG Team
Central Illinois
9 attraction reviews
“Marseille Highlights!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had a wonderful walking tour set up with Isabelle.
She met us at the City Hall in Marseille and took us to
as many highlights of the city as she could in our 6 hour
port call.

We visited the Panier (Old City), which was so quaint with the narrow streets, quaint shops and cafes, and the historical ambience throughout. A walk through Passage de Lorette made us feel as though we'd stepped back in time.

We were taken to Cathedrale de la Major, where we were allowed plenty of time to view the beauty inside. We saw the Porte d'Aix, which is Marseille's answer to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. We watched travelers in St. Charles train station,and had a wonderful Tunisian meal in one of Isabelle's favorite restaurants. She told us it was very inexpensive and very good.......she was correct on both!

Isabelle pointed out so many landmarks and buildings to us, and let me stop to take pictures along the way, as we finally made our way UP the hill to Notre Dame de la Garde, which was worth EVERY huff and puff!

We also walked through the open-air market, inhaling aromas of fruits, vegetables, spices, and olives. We felt less tourist and more local with this tour.

The Marseille Provence Greeters are able to stay in business through donations, and the greeters are volunteers, who you may tip at your discretion.

We found our tour with Isabelle to be very energetic, educational and a great way to see such a beautiful Mediterranean city in a short 6 hours!

Visited February 2014
marseillegreeters, Gérant at Marseille Provence Greeters - Private Tours, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for this great review ! We're happy to see you enjoyed completely your walked with Isabelle and glad that you liked the restaurant ;)
We like to think we make discover different places than tourists ones to our visitors.

We hope you'll be back in Marseille soon ^^

The Marseille Provence Greeters Team
“I ll never visit such amazing local places without our greeter Stephan!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Wonderful walking! Thank you so much! I ve discovered a lot of local neibourhoods and picturesque places!

Visited January 2014