“Delicious, charming restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Seattle, Washington
“Delicious, charming restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'm writing this review almost a year after dining at this fantastic restaurant - I can't believe I forgot to review this place! We went for Sunday lunch and were blown away by the delicious dishes we got! I've spent a lot of time in France for work and one thing I've noticed about French restaurants is that if they have a million things on their menu, it's probably neither fresh nor home made. Here, the menu is limited and there are many of the same ingredients in the different plates, but they manage to have their own deliciously unique taste! It really gave me the feeling of a homemade local restaurant in a city that is full of tourist traps. I also must say the lady (I think the owner) was one of the nicest French people I have had the pleasure of meeting. My boyfriends says he would go back to Marseille just to eat at this restaurant!

A note on their opening hours (at least while we were there) - the lady said they were open Wed-Sat in the evenings and Sun for lunch. We were so sad we couldn't go back Monday and Tuesday! Also, we took one menu and one a la carte because we thought we didn't need all that food, but in the end I recommend taking 2 menus not only because it's a better deal but because the food is just that delicious!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Gordes
“Excellent restaurant - Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Wanted to meet some friends in Marseilles for dinner so as always checked Tripadvisor. Coté Rue is an excellent restaurant in every way. Great value for money, wonderful menu, well cooked food, fresh local seasonal ingredients great atmosphere. We were well looked after and nothing was too much trouble. I'm looking for an excuse to go there again very very soon. But at €24 for a 3 course dinner and a 1/2 litre carafe of the excellent local wine at €8 it can easily be justified. Thank you Coté Rue!

• Visited April 2012
Washington, DC
“Don't get me wrong - nice place, but in top 5??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

It is striking for this place to be anywhere in the top 5 Marseille restaurants. I simply don't have an explanation for it. If it was not for this fact, i would have probably given it 3 stars (average), however after the expectations were set this high - this was quite a letdown.
Again, let me reiterate - there is good and bad.
The good: very, very friendly service, ambiance is off the charts, too. The final bill was reasonable.
The bad: the food is average at best (e.g. cotelettes - which are basically lamb chops), while some dishes are not good at all (e.g. brandonere ? - not sure about the spelling, basically - a fish-based spread). Only one dish that we tried was to our liking - gambas (prawns).
I'd say a high TripAdvisor ranking is probably doing this place a disservice.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco Bay Area
“High-quality honest, local food - friendly staff - very reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

If you bother to just head a little bit off the beaten track, which most sadly don't, then you are in for a truly great evening at Côté Rue. The card is simple - opt for the menu. Any one of the combinations are great - although the mussels entrée was my favorite. Onglets were excellent. Best choc mousse I have ever tried. Enjoy. Relax. It is a small place, allowing for an intimate evening. Very friendly staff - always smiling and fast on the ball. Good wines too. And it all comes at a surprisingly reasonable price.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Good, honest Marseille food - not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My wife and I were in Marseille for just one night and wanted a good place to eat. We looked in TA and found Cote Rue. We phoned Cote Rue, booked a table for that night and had a really good, memorable meal. The owner met us and we had the choice of inside or out. As the evening was still warm, we ate outside. The owner took time to go through the menu and recommend dishes. She also recommended wine which complimented our food really well and was inexpensive. We had three courses and every dish was a delight to eat. We are so pleased we found Cote Rue. It’s a great husband and wife team serving good, honest Marseille food. We can fully recommend here and cannot wait to find an excuse to get back to Marseille to be there again!

By the way, we found the easiest way to get there on foot is to go along Quai du Port (right hand side as you face the sea) almost until the end where you will find the little Rue Henri Tasso on your right. Walk along this rue a little and you go up some steps, walk a little more and up the next steps. The restaurant is over to the right around your “2-o’clock” position and it’s in a narrow side street.

• Visited September 2011