“A hidden gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 124 Hotels in Marseille
New York
“A hidden gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This hotel does not look much from the outside, and the surrounding don't look that great but behind the fence is a great hotel! We loved it, even though it was not that central. Fortunately we had a car to get around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Daniel_Fontana, Director at New Hotel Bompard, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
We thank you for your comment and are very glad you had a pleasant stay. We will be pleased to welcome you again during your next stay in Marseille. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
birmingham england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

this hotel offers a green oasis outside of the centre of marseille. It is located high overlooking the corniche and is well linked to the city by buses and steps down to the coast. The rooms with balconies overlook grass, trees and a swimming pool. There are rooms available in a small house which are smaller and stuffier as well as small family suites in small bungalows in the grounds. We enjoy taking our selection from the excellent buffet breakfast outside when the weather permits. At night returning from the centre the hotel offers the perfect spot for winding down with a quiet nightcap. This is part of a hotel chain that is used by a mix of business events as well as tourists the service is adequate it's the location and garden that makes it so special.

Room Tip: top floor of the main building looking down onto the trees and central garden.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for over a week - have a good view of its strengths and weaknesses.
Let me start with its strengths. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, the elevator worked. Breakfast was OK, dinner was good but the alternatives were few. It was quite, no street noises. The price was right.
Some of the issues. The hotel is located next to nothing, and I mean nothing -- expect to take a bus (not convenient) or a cab (minimum of about 10 euros each way) to go anywhere. The staff support is thin at best. If you sit in the lounge and expect someone to serve you you can weight forever. When asking for help, the information is not always top notch. I asked where I could find a little store nearby to purchase soda, etc. I was told go out take a left and then a right and you will find such a store on the top of the hill -- there was no store. I asked directions to a nearby pizza/italian sitdown restaurant. I was told to go out, take a right, followed by a left and walk down the hill a little bit. We did it and instead of a restaurant we found a takeout pizza place. The day before I left I went to the desk to setle up the account for the group I brought to the hotel. I spent several hours going over things. First I could not get a list by person of ther nights -- eventually I did get it. Then one person was charged for two nights prior to her coming -- she had reserved the rooms for those nights but she maintained they had been cancelled. The desk staff person (the only one in attendance at the hotel) said no, that was not the case. I asked to speak with the manager, but there was no manager on site -- that person would come in the next day after I left. There was no way I could speak with the person. When I came back later I was told that my request to not pay for those two days had been denied -- no recourse to speaking with a human being. So I paid for the group bill and my personal bill. But then when I came to check out the next morning (at 4 am) I was told that I had not paid for two meals and then we went round and round about this as well - a real bother as the cab sat outside with the meter running.
Oh my God -- while their heart might be in the right place, their performance leaves much to be desired.

Room Tip: Expect a good price in an inconvenient location -- remember Marseilles is hilly and you are high up...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Quiet location, away from it all - don't book it if you need to be central. Rooms are nicely done, beds fantastic, garden view / balcony rooms the best. Breakfast is mediocre for the price though. Service and evening meals are functional. Worth paying the premium for the peace and comfort but the hotel could be a lot more 'rounded' with minimal effort. I arrived too early for check in and waited three hours but still had no bath robe and the coffee machine had not been renewed

• Stayed November 2011
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

For me was verry difficult to find a nice 3* hotel at Marseille, at the time I would be in town, so we decided to stay at the Bompard. It was a pleasant surprise, the external area is adorable, feels like a "Villa", good restaurant, good team.
Room was confortable, and big, good bathroom (renovanetd), but realy has a ugly painting at the rooms (not a problem).
Not close to the port or the city, will need a car.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Booked this hotel for a stay of a week at the start of December for a football fixture and a weeks rest. I can not believe some of the reviews on here. Yes the nearest buses stop by 8.30pm but less than half a mile away is a night bus ? The rooms are very good the staff very helpfull. We did not take breakfast as at 12 euro that was too expensive - Top tip take a five minute stroll to the bakers and spar and make your own ! All in all a well run hotel clean and with large rooms. The coffee machine in the room is charged at 2 euro per cup (thimble size) Take your own or buy it at the spar why waste money ? All in all I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again and it has free internet too.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Seems to be great, but the rooms (at least our one) are not. There are diferent nice buildings and the swiming pool is very nice, but our room didn´t smell clean, specially the bathroom and was no renovated. Dirty painting, damage walls and furniture, dirty lamp (see picture)...
The staff was not very nice and the hotel is very bad located. It is in a top area of the city with no restaurants at all, there are only houses around and it takes almost one hour to get the centre walking. The only good thing is that the parking is included.
Apart from that, we didn´t like Marseille at all, it is very ugly and beaches are far away.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to New Hotel Bompard? Share your experiences!