“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Fantastically convenient location right on the Vieux Port, we had a Club Room (booked online) with a great view. But... the receptionist was possibly the most unwelcoming man I have ever met in my life! I speak good french, but he was deliberately incomprehensible and so unfriendly we burst out laughing! I asked him where we could park our car, he just about managed to tell me, with a supreme effort on his part. We asked to book dinner in the restaurant - he told us it was full. So we went out and found a nice restaurant along the Vieux Port; we returned to find just two tables taken! What a terrible pity. It's an interesting building, they've tried to make it Le Corbusier-ish, while making it a 4-star hotel - and with some success. A nice room, lovely view from the balcony, a very good breakfast, and you will be relieved to hear that the girl at reception the following morning was charm itself. But not the sort of service one would expect from a top hotel in a very cosmopolitan city. I would not recommend a stay here, not good enough.

Room Tip: choose a room giving onto the vieux port. It's a very narrow hotel, so both sides are noisy, as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Couple in 60s stayed 3 nights in June 2013. We also payed the extra for the Ciel Suite - great choice. Lots of room, nice airy balcony looking directly over the Port. Great spot for some pre-dinner drinks. Wonderful position and even though we didn't use the restaurant it looked fabulous and the hotel staff were very happy to book the wonderful bouillabaise experience nearby. Very happy with this choice for the beginning of our 5 weeks holiday.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the Ciel Suite is fabulous Otherwise rooms higher up with a view of the Port.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
hrvpm, Propriétaire at Residence du Vieux Port, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to read you loved our location and that you thought our service was impeccable. Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I hope that your 5 week will be like your stay with us
We all look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards
Bucharest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've chosen this hotel because of its view and positioning. They are certainly top notch. I have booked well in advance (+3 months) and paid 50% as upfront deposit. I have chosen a suite, because it (supposedly) guarantees a top floor, where you can truly enjoy the view. Got email confirmations and paid, nothing weird so far.
At arrival I'm being told to my surprise that there are no bookings on my name and that there are no rooms available!This is Marseille on Saturday evening and my kids are tired. Not having where to sleep after paying 3 months ago... far from a nice experience.
After looking into my older emails (hotel had no records of my name!) I dig up an email where the reception lady confirms the reservation for a different date (I booked for July and got a confirmation for June). While it is partially my mistake that I didn't caught the mistake, I wonder why didn't we've been contacted in June after not showing up. A 4star hotel should actually try to reach its customers while on route, what if something happened while travelling? And why didn't they have any records of me paying? What if I didn't have access to email?
Although initially we're told that there are no available rooms, the gentlemen at reception finds a regular double room for the first night. After complaints we get transferred in the second day to an apartment, also at a low floor. Unfair, the price was the same as for the suit we booked at their best floor and we've been charged no less for the double room (despite having to share the bed with the kids). Also, the hotel had no extra bed to install, imagine that.
The apartments have one bedroom with no natural light , which is shameful. To be fair, the hotel itself is clean, new and nicely decorated.
With some minor adjustments this can be a very good hotel. However, we won't return due since there is no guarantee you actually get to stay here after paying, nor that you get the room that you paid for.

Room Tip: A suite might get you the view but there is no guarantee you will actually receive what you paid fo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
hrvpm, Directeur général at Residence du Vieux Port, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Dreamstimer
It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your time with us and that we did not have the opportunity to address specific issues during your time here. I am sorry to hear you experience a problem when checking in.Whilst I can only apologize for your disappointment, please accept my assurance that I have spent time with my team here and have reviewed the specific points you raised.
I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting an inconsistency through your stay.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to La Résidence du Vieux port in person at some point in the future and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.
Yours sincerely
e.ramoleux@hrvpm.com
Antiguo Cuscatlan, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location. Close to interesting points: Mucem, Cathedral de Marseille, Train stop of going to visit la Bonne Mère.
The Taxi Driver told us "who come to Marseille and does nt go to visit la Bonne Mère, he cannot say he has been in Marseille"

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this lovely hotel with the stunning views of the Old Port and Notre Dame de la Garde. We shelled out the extra Euros for the CIEL Suite and it was well worth it. Larger room. Better view. Very comfortable bed. And finally, the on site restaurant, Relais 50, was wonderful.

Room Tip: CIEL Suite is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hrvpm, Directeur général at Residence du Vieux Port, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for posting a five stars review of your stay at La Résidence du Vieux port. We are really pleased you enjoyed our location, your room and our restaurant, Le Relais 50 . Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on June 9th and again on June 17th, 2013 at the beginning and end of our Mediterranean Cruise. There were five of us traveling together and we had two rooms. The first night we had rooms on the seventh floor and the penthouse roof room...Amazing view, just incredible. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are outstanding. Also the rooms are very spacious, our seventh floor room had two bedrooms!! The second night we stayed we had fifth and third floor rooms. The view from the third floor room was not as spectacular so I would definitely suggest the upper floors...it is truly worth it for the view! I would also add that the staff members were so kind, gave us dinner suggestions, got us a taxi and stowed our luggage for us while we waited to check in. They also spoke with us in English and were so friendly. Great location, great hotel...kid friendly too as we had one nine year old with us. I would recommend staying and hope I get the chance to one day go back again!

Room Tip: The higher the better...the view is incredible
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hrvpm, Directeur général at Residence du Vieux Port, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you loved La Résidence and its amazing view (probably the best of the city!)
Thank you for your lovely comments that the service was impeccable and that the staff were professional, polite and engaging. The team take genuine interest in our guests and so I am delighted that this was noticed.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Spent one night here after departing a cruise before continuing our vacation in France. A boutique hotel with slightly unusual and a little tired décor, but this is more than offset by the hotel's location on the Vieux port, the absolutely stunning view across the harbour and the Notre Dame de la Garde - especially at night. The other thing setting this hotel apart is the amazing friendliness and helpfulness of the staff - nothing was too much trouble and they seemed to take pride in providing good service. We had a room on the 6th floor facing the harbour.. if you stay here, you must get a room at the front with that amazing view. The WiFi signal was strong and the room was a reasonable size. The breakfast was buffet style with a broad selection of items from continental to hot. The selection of restaurants for lunch and dinner around the harbour is fantastic and we had two memorable meals during our brief stay.

Room Tip: Must get a front facing view room in this hotel - the view is amazing especially at night
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence du Vieux Port? Share your experiences!