“chateau St Martin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa

You added Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa to your Saves list
Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2490 Avenue des Templiers | BP 102, 06142 Vence, France   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Vence
GreenLeadersSilver level
great neck n.y.
“chateau St Martin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

A sister hotel to the Hotel Du Cap in Cap D'Antibes, but not in the same league.Magnificent grounds, superb rooms and common areas with the most spectacular view overlooking the entire Provence countryside.

Staff were very helpful but not at a 5 star level.They were a little sloppy in their dress and appearance but were always helpful and attentive but in a obligatory way.

Breakfast buffet was just fair, considering the wealth of local produce available around the area the choices were just mediocre.Lunch under the olive trees was good but not great.Once again the menu was limited and there was no attempt to suggest anything that might not be on the menu.France is gourmet heaven to many and I just feel that the choices were very narrow.

Would I go back? To me that's always the test of a hotel and in this case I would say no but the peacefullness and serenity of the hotel make up for the areas that are lacking.

Room Tip: Rooms are totally silent with thick carpets & heavy oak doors.Bathrooms are very well equipped a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
PPerd, Directeur général at Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest:
May I express my appreciation for taking the time to leave a message on Trip Advisor following your stay at Le Château Saint-Martin & Spa.
I am very pleased to know that you loved the property and its grounds.
As regards the service in general, I am sorry to read your disappointment and that we were not able to respond to your requirements. We work hard with our teams to train them and to improve our service – we are going to continue again and again.
Considering the breakfast buffet which offers a wide choice of home made pastries, fruits and chocolate cakes, cereals, fruits, cheeses, cooked meats, …, please be assured that next year, priority will be put on its improvement to satisfy our customers every day.
Finally, for your information, the Grill menu is made by our 2 Michelin Stars Chef Mr. Yannick Franques, and he uses the best local products.
With renewed apologies, we look forward to hopefully having the pleasure of welcoming you again at Le Château Saint-Martin & Spa and making your stay more enjoyable.
Yours sincerely.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Chateau Saint-Martin and Spa was a delightful surprise for us. It was our first visit and, except for the online photos of the property, and reviews from Tripadvisor, we were not completely prepared for what we found upon entering the gates of the property. I must say that we were not in the least disappointed. The Chateau is very special indeed. It is quiet and elegant, yet warm and welcoming. Our Jr. suite was spacious and lovely, with a terrace overlooking the hills of Vence and beyond to the coast. The marble bathroom was large and well appointed. The room was spotless. The staff works hard to insure that guests are happy and comfortable. We ate at the Italian restaurant in the hotel twice. Both times our dining experience was excellent. Breakfast was included in our room rate, and it was fine. Each day, we took trips to the little towns and villages nearby. We especially loved Antibes, with it's winding cobblestone streets, filled with interesting shops and restaurants. I think we visited most of the art museums on the Cote d'Azur. The Foundation Maeght in St-Paul-de-Vence is not to be missed. But the highlight of our trip was the Chateau itself. At the end of a busy day, it was our retreat into an environment of peace, beauty, and serenity. This is not a hotel for those on a budget. It is luxurious and expensive, but well worth it. We were guests for 10 days and would love to return.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Oh my goodness! If you find yourself in the south of France, the Chateau Saint-Martin is THE place to stay. We've been fortunate to stay here three times. It is truly peaceful and relaxing. The views are breathtaking. The concierge and staff cater to your every whim. We rented a car and took day trips to Nice (Villefranche), Monte Carlo and St. Paul. There are several other places nearby to take in. This resort is ideally situated: close enough to tour the area; yet, remote enough to feel as if you're miles and miles away.
Top Quality. Never disappointing.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the separate "villas". Riou has been our favorite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PPerd, Directeur général at Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Guest:
Indeed, we were genuinely very glad to read that you were delighted with your stay at the hotel. Your compliments on our property and on the staff were truly appreciated and your gratifying remarks make our efforts even more worthwhile!
Naturally, we look forward to seeing you soon for an even more pleasant stay.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend in September after the summer crowds had gone. It is a truly stunning property, set in a beautiful quiet garden in the hills well above the crowds of the coast and on the outskirts of the town of Vence. The view from the terrace across the Bay of Nice is spectacular.

We had booked a junior suite but on arrival were upgraded to a "de luxe" junior suite, which was larger and had a slightly better view - it was a beautiful room with a huge balcony on which we took breakfast every day. The bathroom was full of marble, large and spacious with luxurious soaps and shampoos, etc.

The service was very good: all the staff were charming, very friendly and with good English. They were happy to humour my schoolboy French when I tried it. One of two of the younger ones seemed to get a bit flustered at times though, and I saw some odd service in the bar after dinner one evening when a couple essentially got given two more glasses of wine whether they wanted them or not!

The pool is large enough for a good swim. Lovely setting again. There was a bit of pressure on use of sun loungers, though, and I was a bit surprised that the pool staff did not refresh the covers and towels more frequently throughout the day, as people came and went. Neither did they come round asking if you wanted anything like a drink, an ice cream, or a fresh towel; perhaps they were told not to disturb people. They were quite willing to bring things once you asked, though.

There are two restaurants; one in a less formal Italian style and the other more formal with 2-Michelin stars. There was also a garden restaurant near the pool which was nice for lunch. Overall food quality was very good, although the cuisine in the formal restaurant might be a little rich for some tastes and overall I felt there could have been more variety in the menus.

The only downside of this hotel is the outrageously high prices charged for all the extras. Breakfast was included in our room rate, including room service on our balcony, which was nice, but everything else was very, very expensive. We do like our wine, which didn't help, and there was not much on the list for less than EUR50 a bottle. Dinner averaged EUR 200 for two in the cheaper restaurant every night. A (delicious) Nicoise salad in the garden cost EUR 24 per person.

I expect this standard of first class hotel attracts a clientele that doesn't worry too much about prices like that, but please do be warned. Not the right choice if you are on a budget. If money is not an object, then highly recommended for a beautiful, quiet stay.

Dear Guest:
I am very pleased to know that you spent a pleasant stay among us, and I shall not miss to share your encouraging remarks with my teams!!!
As regards the service in the pool, I am sorry to read your disappointment and I will talk to my manager to rectify the situation immediately. Indeed, one of our quality standard is to change our guests' towels when they leave their deckchair for lunch and as soon as they want, so again, I am really sorry for that. It is thanks to our guest comments that we can endeavour to improve our quality of service. Please be assured that day by day, we work hard to train the best our 145 employees in order to deliver a 5* service.
We look forward to welcoming you soon in our beautiful hotel.
Lambertville, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stopped for lunch at the restaurant on the lawn yesterday. The place is quite beautiful and nicely cared for although I think they could add more flowers around the garden dining area. Lunch was very good, and overall we were satisfied. I do think for the price, the staff could be a little more attentive rather than gathering at the outdoor cooking area. Overall I would recommend this place for the view, but be prepared for an expensive experience.

Room Tip: We only were there for lunch.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

In the last year my family and I have stayed at the Eden Roc in Antibes and Le Bristol in Paris, both sister hotels to Chateau St Martin. Both stays were excellent and on this basis I booked the St Martin for a few days break. Unfortunately we were incredibly disappointed.

The hotel is beautiful with excellent views (although more remote than the website suggests, and the public spaces are looking rather tired), but there is a huge problem with service. I have noticed in other reviews that his has been mentioned, but I think our experience was particularly bad. Reception staff and the concierges responded only to frequent excessive tipping, and even then they were not friendly or warm as they are in the Eden Roc. Everything seemed too much trouble. Advice was poor and we found it better to do it ourself on the internet.

By the pool there was usually only one member of staff and often they could not be found for long periods. This is despite the fact it was peak season and almost every bed was full. The toilets and changing facilities are also very poor.

Worst of all though were the restaurant staff. Never before in a 5 star hotel have we heard a waitress tell us that the chef is too busy to cook a portion of mixed vegetables. Despite the selection available in room service and with other dishes, a portion of carrots, she said, was all that could be offered. Following complaint to a senior waiter we received a large serving of vegetables so we could not understand the problem in the first place. We found the waitress involved incredibly rude and a very unpleasant atmosphere had been created. This incident occurred on our second visit to the restaurant, but on neither occasion had staff been attentive with regards to bread, water and other drinks. There was no one checking regularly on the table. The food was also very average, and one dish particularly bad (they did however remove this from the bill).

Service in the lunch restaurant and at breakfast was similarly inattentive. After asking 5 times for butter at lunch we got up to go and get it ourselves. The majority of the staff were not appropriately trained in hospitality. Most were very inexperienced.

On departure we asked for details for making a complaint, which they handed to us with no concern for the fact we had requested this.

I would not recommend this hotel if you are used to 5 star service, or if friendliness and warmth of the staff matters to you on holiday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
May I express my gratitude for having taken the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor after your stay at Le Château Saint-Martin & Spa.
I am very sorry to read that we were not able to respond to your requirements. Of course I talked to my managers to know what happened, and we have no excuse for that.
Please be assured that we work every day with our teams to train them in order to deliver a 5* service, even if they are trainees, seasonal or regular staff. Indeed, it is very important for us to deliver the same quality of service at the Hôtel du Cap-Eden-Roc, Le Bristol Paris and Le Château Saint-Martin & Spa.
It is thanks to our guest comments that we can endeavour to improve our quality, and we are going to continue to work ardently to be able to meet our guests' expectations.
Should you wish to visit us again, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation. You can reach me at direction@hdcer.com or on +33 4 93 58 02 02 by asking for Olivier Zimmerlin, my Resident Manager.
Kindest regards.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We just spent a week at the Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa in Vence and it was the best holiday in a long time. Incredibly relaxing environment. The hotel is simply spectacular with incredible views overlooking the Cote d'azure. Everything was above our expectations. The service was second to none, the concierge desk tops and always helpful. My thanks to Miriam who was always helpful and pleasant. The spa is definitely worth visiting. La Prairie dominates the spa and the staff ranked as the finest I've ever experienced. We had a junior suite, which had two bathrooms and beautiful decor, mostly in white and traditional design. The room was impeccable and spotless. This was my second stay at a Relais and Chateaux (Eden Roc last summer) and this property continued that smart reputation. The hotel is situated in Vence and is remote. You must have a car as Cannes, Nice, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Monaco, and St Paul de Vence require transportation. By far the best holiday I've had in years. Highly recommend this hotel and it's first rate staff. Bravo Chateau Saint Martin & Spa! Eric Naimer Roseman, August 12, 2012.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a junior suite overlooking the Cote d'azure. I didn't get enough of th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa? Share your experiences!