“Loved the Bastide!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 73 Hotels in Saint-Tropez
London
“Loved the Bastide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Such a beautiful hotel, very serene yet stylish. Everyone seemed very friendly and I would return. I only stayed there with a friend for one night so I'm not too sure of the proximity of the hotel to the centre of St Tropez, it was low season and we decided to eat in the hotel that evening.

The gardens are amazing and so is the pool. The rooms are designed in a chic French style.

• Liked — The idylic surroundings.
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was perfect!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
toronto, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

I have read a few bad reviews about this place and honestly don't know what could have gone wrong for those people, though perhaps it did and things have since changed. It was one leg of our honeymoon and I can say it was exceptional! Very serene with one of the most beautiful gardens we'd seen outiside of the big chateaux. The owner was very nice and the pool was great (though we spent all our time at the beach nearby). Only complaint is that the room was a bit hot due to weak AC, but that's no big deal as European rooms typically don't even have it. I would heartily recommend this property to anybody. As for the distance from town, it's a little bit far but that's what gives it the serene feeling! If you want to stay in town then do it, but that's a different kind of holiday. It's a 4 minute drive to town and there's a big accessible parking garage that charges 4.5 euro for the evening. No big deal. For the price it's as close as you'll get to the centre, anyway.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

The hotel itself was attractive and relatively clean (althogh our room smelt quite damp and there was an infestation of ants). The owner was the most unfriendly person I had ever had the misfortune of meeting. She didn't smile or act in a polite manner from the moment we arrived. Despite paying 380 euros a night to stay in her hotel she avoided eye contact with me and pretended not to speak english until she told me (in perfect english) to keep the volume of my voice to low as I was talking too loudly by the pool! when three noisy children jumped in the pool screaming she merely looked the other way (they were not english). Her staff were all young and fairly inexperienced but at least they were friendly. Warning - The hotel has a deal with a seasonal cab firm and gets comission for calling them (it cost 25 euro's to get into town, 50 euro round trip!). So if you are staying there you should use an independent company and call them yourself. There was no food other than breakfast (18 euro's each for a few croissants and bread) and reception closed at 8pm. The owner really ruined the holiday for us with her attitude, in fact we actively spent time away from the hotel as we couldn't face her cold stare! If she sold it to someone else, anyone else! then I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2005
, OWNER at La Bastide des Salins Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2006
I just would like to mention that I love the English. My son-in-law is English and I consider him as my own son.

Concerning the booking of Cab, this is a absolutly free service we grant to our customer.
We do note take in any way a pourcentage and are not reponsible for the fee they charge.

Of course, they will be allways people complainning.
I do my best so my guest spend a lovely time in my place and most of the time I succeed regarding of the number of people who come back again and again.

Best Regards
Liliane

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

An absolutely amazing Hotel , a few minutes outside of the town , set in amazing Provence parkland , offering a peaceful break from the hectic fun of St Tropez . Wonderful room and a garden from paradise . You wake up in dreamland every day ,you could not be made more welcome .

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2004

This hotel was one huge disappointment. We booked through
FranceHotelReservation who refused to refund our money, despite it being our honeymoon and having cost us over £600. The hotel swimming pool was green and filthy, the grounds looked like the grass hadn't been cut for months, the room was supposed to the honeymoon suit, but had huge damp patches on the walls and ceiling, the bathroom looked tired and chipped and the owner, although very friendly, was more intersted in her dog than the hotel. It was out of town and expensive for what it was.
we would not recommend the hotel nor the website through which we booked.
The Hotel La Tartane just up the road is a complete contrast and we would throughly recommend it!

Been to La Bastide des Salins Hotel? Share your experiences!