“WEEKEND IN A HOTEL '' COLOMBE D'OR'' “IN COMPANY” WITH A FRENCH PAINTERS By Zoran Slavic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Colombe d'Or

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St-Paul-de-Vence
La Colombe d'Or
Place du General de Gaulle, 06570 St-Paul-de-Vence, France   |
Zrenjanin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

One spring weekend I had a chance to take a little walk around the French region of Alpes-Maritimes. The road me first, of Nice, which is also the capital of the department, led by the painter `s paradise / Saint-Paul-de-Vence. So the seashore to the mountains and in the deep Greenery. Coming into the famous and lively ambiance. I chose to stay at a hotel "La Combe d'Or." It is an object outside the medieval city walls. I'm standing in front of a two-storey building, which was completely covered in ivy. Old and adapted building with many stone arches, wooden elements.
With some respect going into this hotel as I was before coming to Vence informed of what the object I'm going. It's old, and artistic history of Europe deserves hotel'' Colombe d'Or'', which since the 1916th hosts then young, and today in history moved fine artists. While the World War I stalked Europe, they were at the hotel its bills for accommodation, food and hospitality, I almost forgot - I drink, paying drawings, sketches and paintings. The evidence for this is still located on the walls of the renovated and attractive buildings. It is said - who knows - will give him! A former owner '' Colombe d'Or'' is a remarkable feeling that he'll stay fine artists one day pay off. Testifying canvases by Monet, Renoir, but I Braque, Picasso, Miró, Seraut, Utrilo Renoir, Modigliani, Matisse ...
Entrance to the hotel. From the reception area, which seems to be a combination of the entrance to the chapel and at the same time in a typical house of the court of the French middle class, with a statue of the Madonna in the apse, in the manner fresco painting-done walls and black-and-white photographs of Picasso, going deeper into the restaurant, the combination of valuable paintings, masks and applications of all kinds, lamps, decorative pillows, lots of wood and iron elements, in contrast to restaurants furniture and silverware, provides an amazing atmosphere. I'm wondering if this is a restaurant in the gallery or an exhibition of paintings as settled in the area for the enjoyment of food and drink. Hotel `s garden, which is used by the restaurant, and there is housed a swimming pool, also has a unique and unusual configuration in which the intertwined trees unusual almost sculptural shapes, various flowers, ceramic elements, stone and plenty of ivy, also provides daily meals breath challenges. Inside, dine in the presence of the great French painting, and every exit to the garden good food or drink adds pleasure and refined natural flavors. I admit, I was still more baffled and inspired by Matisse and Picasso. While I was having lunch I loved that we are somewhere on the side. In the corner of my eye I see, and they do not look at me! Freer I felt only in front of the ceramic murals by Fernand Leger. Garden ivy, which softened the curvature of its cubist female figures, allowed me to breakfast, the white coffee or tea, be relaxed.
Night's sleep in comfortable rooms, which have something of the atmosphere of the French private life of 19 and 20 century, but it was good preparation for the enjoyment of layered comfort of this hotel, which in itself, despite the art features, and contains clear elements of rustic and past more peaceful times.
From the hotel meals I remember an unusual supper. I sat, I remember well, in front of paintings by Claude Monet, through restaurant slid stereo sound tracks Yves Montand, who was often a guest here, he and Simon Signoret. I listened to "Dans Les Plaines du Far-West" and enjoyed with unusual and delicious food: grilled peppers in olive oil, caramelized onions, stuffed baby vegetables, baked Provençal tomatoes, beans, anchovies, aubergine's.
On a cruise by Alps-Maritimes, from a trip to the town / village of Valbonne, which was built with incredible symmetry about the homonymous of the ancient village, had lunch in a very original and rustic cafeteria. It was called "Le Bistrot du Sommelier". It's all there, the external appearance, interior services, inventory tavern, much simpler and more popular, but the lunch we ate, close Provencal, was very tasty. On this menu that you yourself stated: Lotte larded Provencal, Mackerel Fillets, Mashed Potatoes with Olives, Sautéed Veal and Vegetables French New, Angus Flank, Confit Shallots, Veal Liver with Parsley ... We ate, but not us from the wall looked great painter! For supper, we were back at our impresonista and Cubists at La Colombe d'Or.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This has to be one of the most iconic resting places anywhere in the whole of France. Some might say that it is overpriced, and that the food isn't the best in Provence - and they may be right on both counts! On the other hand, if making a reservation means more than having a bed, then La Colombe D'Or is worthy of serious considertion. For the discerning traveller, staying here, eating on the terrace, and embracing the ambience, represents a unique experience. We have been dining yearly at La Colombe D'Or since 1989, and have stayed on two occasions. It isn't cheap!!! Neither, though, is the decor, nor the artwork, nor the attention paid to wonderfully furnished bedrooms. This place is truly authentic. We stayed for three nights a couple of months ago, deciding that the extravagance was a treat worth paying for. We were not disappointed! We were delighted to find that the room we had booked in advance was actually a suite. It was stunning. It was beautifully furnished. The walls were adorned with genuine paintings. A wonderfully original sliding French window looked out on to a wonderful view of the gardens. Exquisite! Situated beneath the terrace, it meant that we had to circumnavigate the tables and diners when we were moving around the hotel. It was something we got used to! The staff, from the moment we arrived, to the day of our departure, were attentive and absolutely charming.

Here, one can re-live its history, appreciate the artwork left by Matisse, Picasso et al, and swim alongside the Braque mosaic. With a little imagination, one can share the bar in celebration with Simone Signoret and Ives Montand.....and so it goes on!

It is this 'pedigree' which gives La Colombe D'Or its uniqueness, its charm and its identity....and for that, it comes at a price well worth the sacrifice.

And St. Paul de Vence hasn't even had a mention yet!!!!!!

Room Tip: We've stayed in two rooms, each on a separate occasion. This time, we stayed in Room 33 and it w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at the La Colombe d'Or for two nights after arriving unannounced and booking for one night only. We were offered a choice of two rooms and chose Room 3 overlooking the terrace. The room was a good size and the bathroom was great. It is very French and not a modern hotel if that is what some are looking for. Unfortunately it rained when we were there, so we missed out on dining on the terrace. We did trips during the day and dined in the dining room one night.

The food was lovely - very interesting and perfectly presented. The wine list is comprehensive and the wine we chose was a local French and didn't disappoint. The setting though was amazing. As some of the other reviewers have said - to be able to sit amongst such beautiful paintings in sumptuous surrounds was awe inspiring. I did a walk through of the dining area each day when there was no-one there, just to have another look at the paintings!

I even managed to have an hour in the heated pool swimming laps to try and work off some of the weight I had been putting on during the trip.

It was getting to the end of the season and the staff were looking forward to having 2 months off, as one did admit that he was exhausted. This, I found, didn't impact on the service we received.

I would love to go back again and experience dining on the terrace. La Colombe d'Or has been crossed off my bucket list........ and put back on again.

Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very different. If I was going again, it would be nice to have a room with a balc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

we spent the weekend at La Colombe d'Or as a birthday treat...
reception was always friendly & helpful, but some of the wait staff were very over-it, bordering on rude (it was the end of the season, but still no excuse to impact someone's experience negatively)...
food was ok-good, but not amazing...
but the surrounds were enchanting & being amongst the artworks & knowing the history of this establishment made it a unique experience
La Colombe d'Or is indisputably overpriced (how can you charge so much & still not even include the continental breakfast within the cost of the room?) &, whilst not really worth the cost, if i was in the area over the summer i'd definitely consider lunch here, but wouldn't make another special trip...

Room Tip: our room (no. 11) overlooked the pool & the balcony was somewhat more private than some of the o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

BY far the worst restaurant experience ever!
Rude staff, undercooked food ,and terrible atmosphere.
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone ever goes here.
Do NOT go to this overpriced cafe!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

It's elegance and perfection is not coming from it's luxury but from it's unique history and famous artist visitors. Rooms are clean and comfortable but more than this full of art and history. A bit expensive which totally worths to this experience. Restaurant menu is reach and tasty but always crowded.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Huntingdon Valley PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Whenever I travel to the south of France, I always leave time to experience lunch at La Colombe d'Or. The outdoor scene is very chichi and Gallic. The food is beautifully prepared and served tableside. The experience is memorable and worth the journey

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Colombe d'Or? Share your experiences!