“Great for families w/ young children” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49, Avenue Denis Semeria, St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France (Formerly Belle Aurore)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Minneapolis
“Great for families w/ young children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We just spent two nights at Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat and we are very happy we chose it. The kids loved the big pool and everyone loved the breakfast spread. As Americans we are often appalled at what passes for breakfast in Europe but we have found the solution here. The rooms are clean and recently overhauled w/ quality fittings and the staff were generally friendly and helpful. The owner was very friendly and helpful and I think if you had a problem he would try hard to sort it out.

We were on one of the ground floor units that face the pool which worked really well with our kids (5 and 7) so they could go back and forth from the pool to the room without going inside the hotel. One day we had friends meet us at the pool and ordered a bottle of wine and was pleasantly surprised to find we were only charged 20 euro for the wine.

the only downside I found is that you could clearly see some corners being cut cost wise. The bottles of shampoo in our room were low when we moved in and empty when we left and some of the pool furniture needed attention. But I can image the outrageous expense of running such a property in South of France. In the end these things did not detract from our experience.

Location wise, the hotel is a short walk down to the port and for that matter one could walk to the Villa Ephrussi Rothschild. Cap Ferrat is a great and safe place for a break if you can afford it. People were very nice everywhere we went.

Just to expand more on breakfast if you are interested...all is self-service but you can make your own fresh squeezed orange juice, make your own boiled eggs or even fry eggs for yourself (never seen this in southern Europe). There were the obligatory croissants, pain au chocolat, bread, several types of cheese, ham, salami, tomatoes. Also cereal, coffee, milk, crepes, jams, butter, nutella. I really can't think of anything else I would have asked for. Best thing is if you book the hotel directly from the hotel's website breakfast is free vs. 12 euro per head if you book through an agent or whatever. Also, the breakfast site is outside, just by the pool. Fantastic.

Room Tip: balconies on the upper floors but the ground floor has direct access to the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Given the area, this little hotel was very charming, helpful and friendly.
The pool was lovely, breakfast was great, good coffee and excellent rose vin available through the day.
The room was well decorated and clean, great balcony and views of pool and the bay, super for watching the superyachts.
Easy walk to the bay and beyond.
Wifi was patchy at best with no signal in the rooms.
Soundproofing out in to the corridor was not good, so sleep was not easy when there was a lot of activity between rooms (family groups, young children....) - which is a shame as within the room all was quiet and the black out shutters worked brilliantly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
denis06000, Propriétaire at Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
thank you so much for your nice review
i am pleased that you looked our hotel, especially that looking at the number of reviews that you have posted, you are used to traveling.
sorry for the noise, it is true the during your stay, there were two rooms with quite noisy children,
note you vivid us another time
best regards
denis Frachon
Lecco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

A significant portion of the hotel has been refurbished recently and the bedrooms are immaculate (albeit a bit small). Unfortunately the bathroom of our room was still very old style with broken tiles and the shower didn't work very well.

Re first floor rooms - they all have a nice balcony; n.100 overlooks the road (i.e. quite noisy also with the windows closed) with little sea view, whilst n.105 has a better view and probably little noise from the road.

Very nice pool and pool area and very short walk to the village-port-beaches.

Reception staff are very nice and friendly, whilst breakfast staff are a bit grumpy. Reasonably good breakfast for a 3-star hotel.

Efficient air conditioning but slightly odd decision to have duvets in June.

Room Tip: Re first floor rooms - they all have a nice balcony; n.100 overlooks the road (i.e. quite noisy also...
Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I booked this hotel specifically based on the reviews. I loved the fact that it is a family owned hotel and the owner clearly takes so much pride and enthusiasm about this new venture. The pictures of the rooms looked great, clean and stylish and the prices affordable.

Last time we visited we stayed at the Royal Riviera, we wanted to try something simpler and more affordable as it is so easy to get resentful at the eye watering hotel prices in the area! Sadly there is nothing in terms of hotels that cater for people like us, in our 30s, very well travelled and very stylish, but wanting to spend around 200-300 euros a night max - its either very over the top here or hotels that have not been updated since the 1970s...

So we arrived at Hotel le Cap Villa very excited after the great reviews to be somewhat disappointed as it is in fact a very basic hotel. Probably great for families with children wanting to stay affordably in the stunning location. It is more like a pensione or bed and breakfast with a pool. The location is quite good (very close to Villa E de Rothschild) but quite a walk to the nice beaches up and down some slopes, so not for those with any health or walking issues. Hotel Brise Marine is far better located for the port and beaches and in a old style belle epoque house but similarly desperately in need of renovation and very basic. Gosh how I wish I had the budget to buy one of these gems and renovate them myself for guests like me!!

We knew Hotel Le Cap was a 1970s style hotel and in fact there are still some great 70s design details, open faced stone walls, the bannisters and terrazzo floors - but along with this there are some really dreadful elements that have yet to be updated, the very nasty tiled walls on the fist floor landing, old floral carpets, dated textured painted walls, dated bathroom fittings, cheesy statues by the pool, unattractive tarmac everywhere, the marble front steps are painted over. Areas that have been updated seem to be in a style that is more traditional south of france but that in my view does not work with the 1970s architecture. So there is currently somewhat of an identity crisis going on in places....

Apparently the hotel will have a total renovation over the winter with a spa in the basement which is clearly needed. However based on what has been renovated so far I am concerned that the final result will be an interior design that sit uncomfortably with the 70s exterior. The new shower room we had in our room felt a total design mismatch to even the bedroom and the hotel itself. It certainly was not designed in a way that made me think of holiday or the south of france, which for me is a missed opportunity..

This hotel has sooo much potential, it already has so much architectural personality. It is an amazing location, great views, lovely outdoor area but my feeling is that to make it really work it needs a careful design scheme for the whole hotel rather than just a cosmetic face lift. As you might be able to tell from my review, I am an interior architect and designer who works on hotels, so I imagine I am rather more passionate about this than others who might stay here .....although in this day and age we are all so well travelled now and have to expect a high level of design and comfort and service. And 200 euros a night is not cheap, it may be for this area but to put it in perspective, you can stay at Babington House in Bath for £200 per night and that is amazing!!!

Some simple improvements in my opinion could be made in the short term though to greatly improve the experience, Denis, I am happy to help more if you'd like any more input:

Breakfast - they made a real effort however it was still incredibly basic. We stayed at the airport Novotel Cap 3000 on the way back as our flight got cancelled and the breakfast there was better quality than here. Croissants were out of packets, why not provide wonderful fresh baked pastries form the local bakery, it is criminal in my view to be in france and not provide fresh baked goods. Provide good quality french artisan yoghurts, a larger array of cut fresh fruits in the fruit salad (rather than just tinned peaches), some seeds and nuts, fresh juices. Provide a home made muesli or granola, or plain oats to make our own. Provide a siegle/ rye or noir bread for those that cannot eat wheat like myself. It is currently very much like a travel lodge breakfast and it was quite underwhelming for me, although fine for my german husband who loved the cold meat and pancakes. I also feel that more staff are needed (in nice uniforms) serving as there was just one man coping alone, doing a great job but as a result tables were just left piled high with dirty plates.

Breakfast area: I do hope that the entire breakfast pavilion will be renovated entirely, this could be a wonderful covered seating area that doubles as a bar or cafe in the evening rather than this stark and utilitarian area that is unused after breakfast with chairs stacked on tables for the rest of the day, hardly welcoming. It could be a lovely cafe area for the whole day or even a lovely honesty bar for guests and a comfortable outdoor sitting room. There are no other public spaces in the hotel and this really affected the quality of our stay, especially when it rained. This unused space has so much potential for a very stylish poolside bar/cafe....

Statues: remove these really nasty statues immediately, please...

Bathroom products: why not provide L'Occitane products or something authentically provencal or local to the area or a bio product, something unique and special.

Beds: they were very comfortable as were the pillows/duvet but one pillow is not enough at all!

Gardens: there is not enough greenery - the outside areas could be hugely instantly and vastly improved by some extensive planting. Remove the tarmac around the hotel outside of the driveway and install pebble resin floors or decking, that evoke a more attractive outdoor/beach feel. Having sunbeds on nasty red tarmac is unattractive. Enveloping the pool with a flowering hedge would transform the area. Planting large interesting fruit trees, figs and landscaping the pool area would transform the exterior and make it feel more authentic to its location. It is far too utilitarian at present.

Hallways: change the carpet right away, something pale with a stripe, a flat wool weave which would work with the open stone walls would be a good start.

Reception service was good, we had a very helpful young lady call and book taxis and lunch at Grand Hotel du cap. I'd reccomend a car, taxis in the area and from the airport are criminally expensive!. Just to go to the Royal Riviera, exactly one mile away, I had to pay 25 euros!
You can walk to the port easily but the beaches are a 20 min walk and in the heat it can be very tiring after the first couple of days.

Anyway........all in all our stay was absolutely fine, it was basic, once we got over that it was fine, it did the job with no frills.............if you want a base in an amazing location and have lots of activities planned elsewhere this will do fine. I look forward to seeing the transformation next year and hope that the owner manages to keep the prices the same!

Room Tip: The best rooms were on the ground floor, the new designs worked well with the bare stone walls, numb...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
denis06000, Propriétaire at Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.
well, what a long review !!! i really feel you would love decorating and running the villa cap ferrat!
just two things :
the cheapest room tonight on booking.com at the Royal riviera tonight is 850€ and ours is 148€ breakfast included if you book direct, which is 6 times more expensive.
st jean cap ferrat being the most expensive place of france (paris included) you can imagine that mortgages are higher than Bath and hotels here are closed 6 month a year. this explains a lot the price difference.

you will agree with me that it is difficult to compare a family 20 room hotel in st jean cap ferrat at 148€ a night with a five star hotel at 850€ a night and a country house in sommerset at 500€ a night.

for the rest, being a hotelier for 30 years, and loving my job, i would agree with most of what you write of course. for that, we would have to close the hotel for a year and i am not sure my bankers would agree!!!
i think differently : if you have a very clean hotel, a very nice and friendly staff, the best location, nice looking rooms, huge terraces with gorgeous sea view, a 20mX8m swimming pool and you keep the same rates than 2010, well, clients can be satisfied, and you can save money to improve the hotel year after year.
plase visit us next year and i will be very pleased to show you what we did. (and i will for sure ask you for advice°
kind regards
denis Frachon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We were very happy with this little 3 Star hotels location but there were things that spoiled our stay that could have been avoided. The Rooms are clean and I guess we had ocean views but limited in our Superior Double Room with terrace and sea view! The bathroom is good and the shower but it feels like they have forgotten to finish it by not putting doors on the cupboards under the sink in the recent renovations. The toilet is ridiculously small and awkward to use. You feel like you can't enter or sit in it properly. Don't be surprised if you hit your head several times while using it. There are no chairs in the room and no guest guides! The bed is clean and comfortable and the towels soft. Something was banging upstairs in the early hours of the morning and stopped around 8am. Hours of this noise disrupted sleep. Breakfast was average and would not be worth more than the €12 required to pay. We would NOT stay here again but having travelled a lot I can see potential with some improvements for this Hotel to be a little gem and ONLY if they improve would we be back or recommend this to anyone else.

• Stayed June 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights. The rooms was good - on the second floor and overlooked the pool. Had a beautiful view of the Sea. The balcony off the room included an automatic awning which was very nice blocking the sun while enjoying the view. Our bathroom toilette area could have used a bit of a renovation, but overall very good.

Breakfast was definitely nice. If not included with your room deal it was 12 euros.

The restaurants near the water are just a short walk away. Also a short walk away from joining the walkways that surround the peninsula.

The only strange negative, I thought, was that you had to pay for a towel to be used at the pool. Not a big deal, just thought it was strange to just not have it included.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My friend and I so enjoyed our stay at Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat. Everything is new and quaint comfy beds nice clean bathroom (wish I knew what they use - it smells great) great breakfast - terrace with awesome view - friendly staff and most of all the owner M.Frachon who stayed there the whole weekend and was working along his staff in adding details to the property. He and his beautiful family were a pleasure to meet.

Hope to visit again

Carmen M. Carrio

Room Tip: 101 was super nice did not see the other rooms I am sure that they are equally charming
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Villa Cap Ferrat? Share your experiences!