“Wonderful view, wonderful food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Voile d'Or

You added La Voile d'Or to your Saves list
La Voile d'Or
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Avenue Jean-Mermoz, 06230 St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France   |
“Wonderful view, wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I went to dinner here on our first night in Cap Ferrat. It was amazing. The food was so exquisite to look at, I took photos! The staff was lovely and, the icing on the cake was some pre-Bastille Day fireworks. We will definitely return when we are in the area - hopefully soon!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Once we arrived to the hotel, after a long journey in the car instead that having someone asking us how was the trip, the receptionist asked us for passport and credit card!!! We've been here few years back, in that occasion my husband proposed to me so before arriving he called the hotel asking for a nice thought, which we didn't get. The room was street view, average space, very old bathroom. The turn down service has been done very poor, no flower or chocolate on the bed, the clothes were just placed on the chair, without even folding them or place them nicely, they left a plastic bag with the garbage on my cosmetic....but the worst of the worst has been the breakfast. We waited 10 minutes for the bread, there was no bread, eggs or ham on the buffet for over 10 minutes. We asked for a tea with lemon we got the tea and had to remind 3 times for the lemon, none was removing the plates or bringing fresh cutlery! Before posting this message I thought was correct informing the hotel, I made my complaint at the receptionist, the same one with who I did the check in and instead of apologising for the inconvenient she kept insisting that she welcome my husband!!! If I can advice whoever is thinking to come here you better spend your money in another place, this hotel is absolutely not worth it .

Stayed June 2014
Direction06230, Directeur général at La Voile d'Or, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Matteo H,
Even if I'm not agree with this message, I thank you to spend your time about reporting your feelings toward us.

Once you arrived to the hotel,our Duty Manager was present during your check-in and she confirmed to me that the receptionist was asking you how was the trip at first and than like all the hotels in the world do, she asked you for a passport and credit card. Your husband called the hotel asking if we could upgrading for a deluxe room, but as writing in your confirmation letter the hotel was fully booked and the only room available for that night was the standard room (on the top floor with a glimpse of the sea)
We do have flowers in all rooms, and for the turn down service we placed candy on the bed, as in cote d'azur during the summer is very hot for chocolate.

Regarding the worst of the worst : "Breakfast", unfortunately you came during the big rush but your 10 minutes it was for us only 2 minutes, just the time to replace the buffet., and we do really apologies. That morning we did welcome 84 guest and we did not receive any complains.

You were not correct at all, because the receptionist propose you twice to speak with me and you didn't., and unfortunately I didn't know about your complains before your departure.

I could understand that for you is much more easy to posting that message instead to speak directly with me and give me a chance to reply.

Regards

Stefania Sanguedolce
Executive Manager
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Overall, a decent enough place to stay, and a welcome refuge from the coastal roads and traffic. The pool area is the jewel in the crown of this hotel, with excellent staff, who are friendly (yes - what they say about French hotels is not always true) and attentive. Service elsewhere is hit and miss: you might be abandoned over breakfast, left without cutlery, and so on; and if you are English, you will not find water hot enough to make tea. Be prepared for Paris/London proportioned rooms, tiny for the price, but this is the opposite of bargain-hunter territory. The shower in our room leaked horrendously, turning the bathroom into a mini-swimming pool; reception did their best to help but were unable to fix it (or even mop it up). The food is generally good. No wifi (to speak of - the odd dribble of a signal) in the bedrooms. Fantastic views out to sea: I counted 14 megayachts visible from the lower pool terrace.

Room Tip: Worth going the whole hog for a sea-facing room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sanibel Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Wonderful Food, Service, View

This is the third year we have dined at La Voile D’Or. We liked it so well the last 2 years that we ate here twice during our stay in Villefranche-Sur-Mer this year. Both meals were a pleasure.

We received a very warm welcome. We were delighted that the weather was good enough to sit on the terrace, with a gorgeous view of the port and the sea. (However, the lovely interior has two walls of glass, so the view from inside is also awesome.)

There were many wonderful and varied food choices, both a la carte and set menus. We always like the menus that include a glass of wine. Both nights we had delicious appetizers, main courses, desserts, as well as the cheese plate on the first night. The food was perfectly cooked, beautifully presented, very fresh, and very good quality. We tried several wines by the glass, all very good and reasonably priced.

The service and staff were wonderful - so friendly, helpful, attentive, and professional. We especially enjoyed Eric, Patrice, Cecile, Marine, and Orlean.

This is another favorite restaurant we hope to return to every year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Albenga, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

La Voile d'Or is one of those special places on this mortal hearth where you easily get the impression of being in paradise. I had been here ten years ago. I have just come back from a fabulous dinner. The setting is as magic as ever. Staff are welcoming and friendly. Amar and Pascal are two of the friendliest bellmen you can meet; Bruno the maitre d' professional and welcoming; Stefania a friendly manager,,,,.the place is characterized by a classy understated elegance. The hotel is not new but it is wonderfully well kept. The terrace, either the bar or the restaurant, offers a breathtaking view on the village of Saint Jean and the sea. At night, while you eat one of the tasty proposals of the Chef or simply drink a glass of champagne,you can hear the sound of the sailing boats in the harbour....pure romance.

Room Tip: Opt for a sea view room with balcony on a upper floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This is such a wonderful hotel which my family and I have spent many a happy holiday at.

The setting overlooking the sea is fantastic. The decor is chic even for France!

I would recommend this to anyone. The best rooms are on the sea end and have two balconies - one with a sea view and one with a port view.

Stayed June 2013
Siesta Key, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Voile D'or is a true traditional style of French restaurant. The setting on a peninsula overlooking St Jean Cap Ferrat harbor and the Corniche of the Cote D'Azur is spectacular.
The food and service are excellent and the prices are actually reasonable compared to many of the other fancy restaurants of the area.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Voile d'Or? Share your experiences!