“OK food, nice atmosphere, variable service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Lamlash, United Kingdom
“OK food, nice atmosphere, variable service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We dined here twice on our last visit to Nice, the food was OK, I had a prawn brochette on the first visit, and a veal medallion on the second, both tasty enough but not exciting, husband had the cheeseburger both times, which was also OK. On our first visit, the service was very good, on our second we had a different waiter who was rather surly. These weren't the best meals we had in Nice, nor were they the worst. There does now seem to be a problem in tourist restaurants in Nice getting even edible food, so for that reason I am recommending L'Hydropathe as the food is reliable if not exciting.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
L'hydropathe L, Propriétaire at L'Hydropathe, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear customers. Thanks for recommending l'Hydropathe and to deem the service usually ''very good''. We apologize for having disappointed you in the service on your second visit. Our policy is to meet the customers' every wish. We hope to see you again.

Torrance, California
“Nice view from the terrace, typical Mediterranean food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Seated at a table on a sophisticated terrace overlooking a typical French boulevard, we ordered the gambas on skewers (the plate was quite filled with them) and linguine alle vongole. I had some French beer to wash this out and my wife prefered rose wine. I don't remember the brands but all wine seem affordable, the bill wasn't steep, especially compared to the greasy spoons located in the old town. The desserts are home-made and we got a glimpse of typical Mediterranean food...tasty, light and nicely flavoured.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Smith b. Thank you ever so much for your review. As you kindly mentioned we do our best to serve ''tasty, light and nicely flavoured'' food. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Athens, Greece
“Exceptional service, but did not love the food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I really hate to spoil the party, but I don't quite get what the enthusiasm is about. It is indeed a beautiful restaurant, and the service is exceptionally good. But I cannot say I loved the food (I had the souris d' agneu, which I did not really like). The prices are high (common for Nice), and with all these raving reviews I was expecting it to be much better.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
L'hydropathe L, Propriétaire at L'Hydropathe, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear AthensSoloist. Thank you for having written that the service was ''exceptionally good'' and that our restaurant is ''beautiful''. I'm a bit disappointed in learning that you didn't like the lamb shanks. The menu offers a large variety of meat and fish. Why not tasting something else when you visit our restaurant next time? I'm positive that you'll love it. I hope to see you again.
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Best French restaurant in Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The place is located downtown, so, we could easily get there from our hotel. We sat at a peaceful terrace overlooking Victor Hugo boulevard, a green artery interspersed with spots of shade and sunlight. The waiters' English was okay, we were quickly being attended to. My kids had the children's menu, only 9 euros, my wife and I took sauteed gambas, cep ravioli and foie gras which was slightly cooked. I must admit I had never tasted it that way before. I only knew the pate the French usually serve with toasted bread. I recommand the wine by the glass too, 4 or 5 euros. Côtes de Provence and Bordeaux are my favourite. Everything is home-made and thus tasty. My kids enjoyed the vanilla creme brulee and the tropical fruit panna cotta (6 and 7 euros). To conclude, a well-situated restaurant, the dishes are exquisite and the bill is light.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear rodgers b. I'm glad you enjoyed our home made foie gras, with the chef's special (and ...secret recipe). I'm looking forward to welcoming you again, you and your nice family.
Nice, France
“Brilliant food, brilliant service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Had a great time at this restaurant after venturing out from the hotel quite late at night. The restaurant wasn't very busy and we were greeted quickly and seated at a nice table by the window. After ordering, the service we received was excellent. Ordered very nice cocktails, followed by good-sized entrées and then a steak and salmon dish. Everything tasted great. About 5 minutes after I'd started my steak I realised I'd like it put on the grill for couple extra minutes and this was allowed to happen even though the chef had closed the kitchen. All-in-all, a great place to eat in Nice.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Varinder86. I'm very grateful for your favorable review. Thank you for having noticed the skills of our staff. I hope to see you soon at the restaurant.