“Great location and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Rex
3 Rue Massena, 06000 Nice, France (Centre)   |
Ranked #51 of 212 hotels in Nice
Chicago
“Great location and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I picked this after finding it online. We were very happy with the results. The hotel is not hard at all to find, if you have a printed map or simply know the street you need to look for. The location is one that is very great and close to everything. The hotel was one that was very clean and quaint. The bathroom was a little small and had a door that really can't be considered a door, but my boyfriend and I being younger didn't mind the closer quarters. The two brothers were very nice and helpful when we had questions. There are a fair amount of stairs to climb so that was probably the most hassle that we had. There is also a bus that is able to take you right to the main square for pretty cheap so getting to and from the airport was not hard at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

As a retired clinician, I wouldn't stay in anywhere that was at all dirty. Which is partly why we keep coming back here. It's beautifully clean - true, old age and infirmity will eventually prevent my getting up the stairs but, until then, this is the place for me in Nice.

Oh! and the breakfasts at 7 euros each are generous, with re-fills of coffee if you want them, and croissants, pains chocolats, bread, yoghurt, two kinds of jam, processed cheese and butter! Unbeatable!

Room Tip: Rooms away from reception only matter if you want to sleep in in the morning - the hotel is silent...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed in a single room by myself that had a shower and a sink - but toilet just down the end of the hall. Room is small but there is enough storage. Bed was comfortable. There was a TV in that small room which was nice. Room was cleaned every day which was good.

No bedbugs to report.

It's in a good location, near shops, close enough to walk to the beach, friendly staff. It is definitely a cut above staying at a hostel and it was good for the price.

I couldn't tell from the traveller photos if the hotel was nice or not, but it was just done up in this shabby chic way. It looks much better in real life (which was a relief!)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We spent 3 days in Nice and we loved the area. We rented a scooter and we saw Monaco, Monte Carlo, St Paul and Vence and we loved all these places.
Hotel cons:
- short beds (I am 191cm tall and my legs were hanging outside the bed)
- small room and tiniest bathroom ever
- no wardrobe
- thin walls, thin doors can hear people,
- old windows, can hear if someone is talking outside the hotel

Pros:
- LOCATION
- PRICE
- clean
- very nice staff
- surprisingly quiet
- nice atmosphere of an old establishment

Not sure if I would come back to this hotel, but would definitely recommend a trip to Nice.

Room Tip: Maybe dont stay close to the reception, it might be loud
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

The location of this hotel is great, very close to the bistro's, cafes and shops! The hotel itself wasn't the best. I guess you get what you pay for though. First you walk through a creepy courtyard to get to the hotel... it smells like stale smoke and lilies. Very boutique-st. Room was very small... but we were only there for 1 night so it worked out well. The one man working there was very friendly and he spoke english. The other man working did not know an once of english - and was pretty rude.

Would never go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Stirling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel then this is not it. That said, this place is perfect for what it is...inexpensive two star accommodation in the perfect location. I was slighty worried about the reviews that mentioned bed bugs so I was a bit wary before we got there but I couldn't have been more pleased with what we got. My sister and I stayed here for three nights and loved every minute of it. The hotel staff are super friendly, free magazines and books in the hall, and cozy rooms with character and comfy beds. The room was a bit small (we had two twin beds) and the bathroom was tiny (and so close to the beds that if you are a self conscious toilet person then this isn't for you) but it all worked for us and we really didn't care. The hotel couldn't have been in a more perfect location - just off Place Messena - and even though it's a busy thoroughfare, the room was quite quiet. I suppose the only bad thing I could say was that sometimes the water pressure and temperature fluctuated but I found that I could time my shower just right so that I wasn't competing with any one else and it worked out fine. It's not a fancy place but then it doesn't advertise itself as such. All said, this was a real gem and such a bargain compared to the rest of Nice. And no bed bugs were found on this occassion!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I rented a single room for one week and during that week I was bitten VERY frequently by bed bugs. Since I did not react immediately, I did not know I had bedbugs - despite the telltale signs of drops of blood on the sheets. The hotel staff must have realized as they repeated moved the single bed away from the wall, yet they did not inform me. As a result, I brought the bed bugs home with me because I was not informed of the possiblitity and I had no previous experience with bedbugs. After explicitly googling 'Hotel Rex' and 'bedbugs' upon my return home, I discovered that others had also had the same experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2dh, Propriétaire at Hotel Rex, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Thank you for having taken the time to write this comment.
Cleanliness has always been our biggest concern, we clean every day
very carefully our rooms and beds. In addition to that we have a contract with a
company who regularly controls our hotel.
After reading your comment I immediately called them, they came this morning
and fortunately they couldn't find any bug.
I am glad to let you know that we've never had any bugs and we don't have any today!

Been to Hotel Rex? Share your experiences!