“Worst hostel I have ever stayed” 1 of 5 stars

Villa Saint Exupery Gardens Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   22 Avenue Gravier, 06100 Nice, France   |
Ranked #13 of 47 Specialty lodging in Nice
Nice
“Worst hostel I have ever stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hostel is too far from everything and shuttle bus does not run before 8am or from 12 to 5pm which means if you are leaving to the airport with lugguage at these times you have to walk a good 15 mins and take the tram before reaching the airport bus or train stop. The place is very dirty with used cups and food containers lying everywhere especially on the computer area. The towels have to be hired on deposit and they are very old, from originally white to be grey or black. The bed is terrible as it is unstable and it moves and gives terrible noise as I make a slight turn. The mattress is sagging. I booked a room with private shower but instead given one with shared facilities with no mention or apology as if it does not matter even though I have the confirmed reservation. The food in the restaurant is terrible and very salty. There is no 24 hr reception. If you are likely to leave early in the morning and do not want to pay around 40 euros for taxi, it is better to stay in town as it works out much cheaper and at least the bed or towel will be more acceptable. If you can only afford a dormitory bed, then make sure you don't leave in early morning or in the afternoon unless you do not mind to walk such a long journey with your luggage. The ttoilet and shower are in general very wet or with rubbish every where. It seems that they do not have full time staff to run the place at all and so everything is so sub standard. It really ruins my stay in Nice for those few days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We had two rooms. The first was a double room upstairs, which was lovely. The view was gorgeous and the room was very light. Downsides - bed was quite uncomfortable, and no towels were provided. Hot water a bit lacking too.

Second room was a twin room downstairs. It was pretty gross. Average bunk beds, terrible light. The bathroom ceiling was covered in mould and the bathroom smelt quite bad! Certainly not like it looked in the photos.

Overall, there was a good atmosphere and the staff were really helpful. But I probably wouldn't come back again.

• Stayed June 2013
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

First of all, we are a couple in their 30's, our holiday preferences are: travelling by car, getting a good proportion of nature (hiking, bathing) and culture (museums, theatre). Looking for a double room for max. 80-90 € per night, no luxury, but clean + basic comfort.

If you are alike, this is definitely NOT a place for you.

Upon our arrival we learnt that despite a confirmed booking, the staff - although friendly - could not find out if they had a double room available at all! They offered a twin room instead, available immediately - two old, uncomfortable looking beds and an old stinking little fridge used as a bedside table. Very different from the photos on their website! We finally got a slightly better double, after blocking the reception for ca 1h - still, very uncomfortable bed.

Music at the bar downstairs is very loud till late hours (after midnight), there is a 'silence after 22h' policy in the building, but does not apply to the bar and yard apparently...

Reception staff seems very disorganized, we witnessed how they could not find other people's laundry etc etc.

If you travel with a car and want to use the hostel's car park, you will need to leave car keys at the reception, in case they need to move the cars around (of course no claims in case they damage your car on this occasion )....

Room Tip: Stay in a chambre d'hôte in the hinterland. Everything is within quick reach with a car.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Windhoek, Namibia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

It has a nice flair and staff was friendly, however what bothered me mostly was that on our tour 4 of us stayed in room #8 that has no windows(!) and the bathroom has no windows and the smell from the bathroom sewage was everywhere! We could not leave the door open as so many people walk past. The light was dim as well. It aslo got a bit small if you want to fit in 4 people lus luggage in.

The walk from the tram to the hostel (especially during midday hours) is quite strenuous, except if you are a very fit person. To get to the vibe of the city it takes a very long walk or an uncomfortable tram ride.

On our first evening we got dinner from the hostel, I believe it should have been Chilli con carne (it looked like it) but the chilli (or any spices for that matter) were missing. Personally I also am not a huge fan of nacho chips with my rice and bean-meat.
In the mornings it is just cereal and honey/jam bread.

If I would go again to this beautiful town, I personally would choose a different accommodation.

Room Tip: Do not take room 8.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Firstly I want to say how friendly and helpful the staff are. They really take their time to help you, which may mean at times there is quite a queue for reception.
The hostel itself; it had a good atmosphere. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm and the room was clean and spacious. The beds and pillows were memory foam, really comfy!
We had a toilet and shower (in seperate rooms). The toilet was clean, the shower was 'alright', could have done with a bath mat for the floor so it didn't get so wet.
We had a locker each, bring your own padlock.
We were right next to the 'common room, which is a lovely, spacious, social room. It was however very noisy at night and being a light sleeper I couldn't sleep until the noise ended.

Location:
It is about a 15 minute walk (uphill) and a quicker walk down, from the tramstop. There is a free shuttle bus which is brilliant, although be prepared that it may not fit everybody in and have to do a few trips. The drivers did really well given some people got in and out of the bus without even a word of thanks.
We found this location fine, we did probably spend quite a bit on transport, however enjoyed the location of the hostel.

Cost: £40 for 2 nights during Cannes film festival and Monaco, bargain.

All in all, I would definitely stay again.

P.S, do not leave electrical items charging unsupervised, a member of our party got their ipod stolen. Lockers with power points in would be such a good idea. To be honest though if you are stupid enough to leave you valuables in view they probably will get stolen. The hostel can't be responsible for dishonest guests, however they could provide better facilities for the charging of electrical items.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ajman, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am an Australian traveller. For three years I saved up for the time I could come to at least one country in Europe to enjoy another culture; and professionally, make contacts with other filmmakers - and that is what this trip represented ie. a CHANCE to meet other professionals; and have a little time-out from the stress of daily living. As a film professional, I chose my first stop for a few days at Villa Saint Exupery Gardens Hostel in Nice, France, because it looked modern and clean; and, their website promotes,
*Electronic key-cards
*Video surveillance systems
*Fire alarm
*Fireproof doors
*Luggage room locked and under video surveillance
*Night watchman
*Lockers in the dorms (Use your own lock) (*Soon in all rooms)
*Staff on site 24/7

One would think you'd be right in thinking this would provide a nice experience - and, 'security' to one's belongings, right?

WRONG.

I left my camera bag in the luggage room after checking with staff the room was 'secure'. AND, because the dormitory I was staying in was full when I arrived, and there was only one locker left; but not big enough to take all my gear. Besides, one would think a 'secure' luggage room with a cyber-key locked door, is a secure room????

Six days into my trip, the bag was stolen.

The thieves had checked into the hostel as 'guests', complete with a big empty brown bag (confirmed by three other guests I spoke with)... they collected a laptop and other expensive items from around the hostel, without being noticed; then asked to go to the luggage room. They saw my (new, professional backpack) bag, and without looking into it (confirmed by security footage), put it on their back, and walked out with it. These were professional thieves targetting the hostels around Nice.

Contained in the bag, was $5800 worth of broadcast quality camera & sound recording gear, mikes and sundry items (including a makeup bag full of goodies).

I did not discover the theft until a few days later - firstly, the theft happened when I was asleep at 10:12pm (the office is open till midnight most nights, so collecting the key 'as a guest' is easy, and recption do not/were not monitoring what was taken from the room - who the stuff belonged to - there is no book to vett what guests are taking when leaving the luggage room); and secondly, I had to leave very early the next morning, with business to attend to outside the hostel for a few days and didn't get to check the room until a few days later.

The shock has been shattering - devastating. Firstly, that was my whole professional and personal passion - film production - inside that bag. It just walked out with thieves, unchecked by the Villa. I had worked my butt off to get that gear finally....

I saw the security footage, and it was clear as day, those two young men, walking in, looking around the shelves and floor, picking up my backpack, and walking out, bold as brass.

The staff were 'polite' but completely 'hush hush' about the incident, at reception desk - I was left to have to deal with things for the next two weeks from the aftermath.

I had made a police report immediately (taking the tram, then walking to the station - 40 minutes journey all-up, and out of my own pocket expenses, each time - total, three times back and forth to the station). But, I was made to wait two days by Management at the Villa, for a piece of paper confirming that the Villa had security footage of the incident - for insurance purposes. I could not leave there without that piece of paper, signed. What if I left without it? Insurance??? It's worth a think, to anyone reading this post. ALWAYS make sure you get PROOF of incidents, in writing, signed by Management, with an official letterhead.

I am picking up the pieces of a completely shattered life now, being forced back to Australia, immediately after. I had to pay for a flight to Paris; plus pay for the change my ticket date of return at a considerable cost; and pay for two nights in Paris whilst I waited for the flight back to Australia to sort out the insurance... there was no use staying in Europe without my gear... and, my money ran out due to staying longer at the hostel dealing with insurance, police and the villa's actions.

I have paid dearly for trusting the hostel's luggage room.

BTW - additionally, I also purchased food down at the local supermarket, lugging it back up the hill to the hostel; and what I didn't eat, I stored in one of their advertised fridges. The next day, most of it had been taken by other backpackers. AND, if you go there during busy season, the music is fairly loud until midnight. Sleep somewhere away from the main room in the Villa.

Thieves abound at the Villa Saint Exupery - but don't expect any liability from Management, at all.

A terrible, terrible time all round. It will take me a long time to recover from this whole mess. As for my gear? I cannot replace it, as the costs to return back to Australia have swallowed up a good whack of my payout; and including that I now also, don't have a car (which I had sold, thinking I would not be back to Australia for some time). I was completely wiped out, by two thieves, laughing and smiling as they took my bag.

Beware of smiling assassins. And that includes Management too - the lack of liabilty, is disgusting.

Room Tip: Do NOT - repeat - do NOT - leave ANYTHING of ANY value in the luggage room. The hostel accepts NO L...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful staff, uncomplicate to stay longer and even a helping hand from the owner, who helped to fix my car. Public transit in Nice is good and you only need about 10 mins to the beach while haveing a beautiful view over the roofs of Nice from the hostel
One of the best hostels i have been.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Villa Saint Exupery Gardens Hostel? Share your experiences!