“Small but ingeniously organized and well-decorated room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa La Tour

You added Hotel Villa La Tour to your Saves list
Hotel Villa La Tour
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 rue de la Tour, 06300 Nice, France (Old Town / Vieux Nice)   |
Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Nice
Toronto, Canada
“Small but ingeniously organized and well-decorated room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

My partner and I stayed two nights in one of Villa La Tour's small, cheaper rooms, which do not have views of the old city. I had very low expectations and had mainly booked the room based on its good price and location. However, we were very pleasantly surprised.

Although the window did not open and the room was only about 8 feet by 12 feet (including a sink, shower, toilet, double bed and armoir), it was ingeniously laid-out and well decorated. It was actually one of my favourite places we stayed during the entire trip (which included some hotel rooms of 150 euros in Portofino and St. Tropez) because it was so cute and ingenious. The toilet is actually inside the shower stall, which works quite well, except you have to remember to put the toilet paper outside before turning on the shower.

The staff was also very friendly and helpful. They provided directions, offered to search and print out maps and train schedules, and were happy to consult on our restaurant selections. Those who have travelled in France will know that this level of customer service is rare!

Overall, we had an excellent experience in one of the few affordable yet clean and comfortable rooms in Nice's old city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at this place last year actually, but I had to make sure and give it a good review. The hostess was very kind when we arrived, sweaty and starving. She offered us a seat in the cozy lobby and tea. We had to walk several flights to our room, so a top floor room wouldn't be a good option for anyone who wasn't into that, but it didn't bother us. There are other rooms.

The room was CLEAN, crisp, and cool. Just what we needed. If bright yellow walls don't freak you out - you can't go wrong with this hotel. (But maybe just ours was yellow :))

Great location - close to train station and within walking distance of the beach, downtown, and other great attractions.

We skipped breakfast, it seemed a little pricey.

Room Tip: They have different views - book early.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Cute lil spot!!…

I got a great cheap flight from Stuttgart and needed a decent budget place to spend 1 night… so I’m glad that I took a serious look at this little hotel.

My room was only 1 flight up and I had an overnight bag so the narrow stairway was a non-issue for me… You can definitely tell the place has been around a while but not at all in a bad way… the room wasn’t dingy or grubby, I thought it was cute and my room smelled really good (not in a odor cover up way though) so that was a bonus..

The room was TINY… I think it would be perfect if I were traveling alone or with a significant other. The bathroom was clean, I think the TV was a 19 in and there was even a wee little desk at the window.

I liked that they gave us a code to get in after the front desk area was closed, made it seem a bit more secure… there is also free Wi-Fi but if you have more than 1 person make sure each person has a separate login & password…

Location wise I thought the place was great… Very easy to get to from the airport, the bus stop is about three blocks away. I didn’t (and still don’t) know much about Nice but to the right of the entrance is the old town area with its winding passages and all types of shops and restaurants. There was a square that had a Saturday flea market & restaurants just up the street and in the evening we went to a really chill Irish Pub located right next to a wine bar down the street… we also used our day metro pass to go to a nearby mall.

Overall cute place, great location and the young German lady with the Kiwi accent at the front desk was really pleasant & helpful… I will be back provided they have availability!

Room Tip: I think any room would be fine
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

OK, this hotel has a few faults, if you want big bland rooms and charmless lobbies this hotel is not for you. Yes the rooms are small, there is no lift and the staircase is narrow. But the positives far outweigh the negatives. The rooms are small but they are clean and functional. En suite facilities, working TV, free WiFi and excellent air con made it a comfortable stay.

Add that to very helpful and friendly staff, and a location that is in the Old Town, 10mins stroll to the seafront and lots of fine restaurants to choose from are also nearby. The hotel is also very close to a tram stop and the bus station.

Taking into account that this is a two star hotel, we found it a very good choice and if I was back in Nice I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I am genuinely baffled that this hotel has had so many good reviews. We booked to stay at Hotel Villa la Tour for three nights based on the positive reviews below and thought we had found a quaint hotel in Nice's old town. The reality is that Hotel Villa la Tour is old, run down and incredibly over priced. Our room was dark and gloomy, and so small that we had to crab shuffle around the bed in order to move around. Our TV didn't work, and the drainage in the shower was so bad that within 2 minutes the floor was flooded and we had to wash in a growing pool of run off. The sheets were thin and didn't fit our bed properly. The lobby and halls were just as bad, with red strip lighting that made us feel like we were in a brothel and walls that were inexplicably padded with material. The only saving grace was the staff on reception, who were pleasant enough and helpful.

I am by no means a hotel snob and have stayed in my fair share of disasters, but was so disappointed by this hotel. The poor quality would have been understandable if we were staying in a cheap hostel - but we paid good money to stay in what we expected to be a fairly nice (if basic) hotel, and when we arrived we found a completely different place to the one represented in these reviews and on the hotel's website. Take my advice and stay away - you can do much better for your money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
DirectionRivoli, Owner at Hotel Villa La Tour, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Dear Madame, Dear Sir, we very carefully read your message and we discussed the content all together during our weekly meeting. Yes, Villa la Tour is a old typically building of the old town of Nice( partly from 18th. century), the rate of a double tradition room is for high season 89 € for two people. Please let us know in which room you stayed ( dark ?)?, our trad. rooms are around 15 m2 . Yes some TVs didn't work during this period ( change of analog system in France) now all TVs are working fine. The sheets are delivered by an external cleaning company :"Elis" who works with 80 % of the hotels in Nice, with all our respect: the sheets are not thin and the size of the sheets is an average size. We are sorry, that you didn't like the decoration of our reception. We think it's a pitty, that you didn't give us a chance ,in expressing yourselve when arriving, because our politic is always having happy clients!
Boca Raton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Hotel Vill La Tour is a smaller, clean easily accessible hotel. It's located in the perfect location - not too far from the water, bars, shopping, buses and restaurants are everywhere. When you arrive, drop your luggage in your room and then go across the street to buy a bottle of wine Then head up the rooftop of this hotel and enjoy the moment.

The rooms in the hotel are small as is the bathroom, but you're not in Nice to sit in your room...

The Front Desk staff was friendly and informative.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Messina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I quite enjoyed my stay at Villa La Tour. I liked the location first of all. It is in the old town but still very easily accessible by taxi, bus or tram (all of which cannot enter the streets of the old town). It's also perfect if you have to go to the acropolis congress centre. It is a really old place that has been redecorated with taste. The people there are very nice and helpful so there is a great atmosphere. However there is no lift and you have to carry your own luggage up the narrow stairs. I did not mind this. But I was a bit surprised by the seriously tiny room and small double bed, especially as I had booked a superior.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Villa La Tour? Share your experiences!