“Grizelda, Wicked Witch of the South” 2 of 5 stars

Locarno
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 avenue des Baumettes, 06000 Nice, France   |
Ranked #149 of 212 hotels in Nice
Melbourne, Australia
“Grizelda, Wicked Witch of the South”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I booked a room, baby cot and car parking at this hotel via booking.com in May 2012. Apparently, I also booked the full wicked witch treatment as well. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was greeted by a shrieking old woman telling me that I hadn't reserved a car park. No hello, no welcome, merely a nasty old broad accusing me of not reserving a car park (which I had). I had my receipt from booking.com which stated my request and offered to show this to her, to which she screamed that she didn't want to see it - my request was not on her form and that was that. Not wanting to argue further, I politely requested a parking spot and asked where I would find the car park. The old bat pointed out the window and when I turned to see where she was pointing to, she screamed: 'Don't look out the window, you won't see it from here! Just stand here and listen to what I tell you!!'. At this point, I probably should have told her to stick the reservation, but it was getting late and I was also rendered speechless by her rudeness. Upon returning to the reception desk after parking the car, the old bat saw that we had a small baby and screamed that we did not reserve a baby cot. Again, I replied calmly that we had. This time, she looked at her paperwork and saw the request for the baby cot (and the car park) and said, 'Oh yeah, here it is.' No apology was forthcoming; only laments about having to get the baby cot out of the garage. She eventually conceded that she would go and get it but then we would have to assemble it ourselves.
Eventually we get to our room, which was average, as the other reviewers have aptly described. At the time, the quality of the room didn't matter to us - we were too dazed with our encounter with Grizelda, the Wicked Witch of the South, to give proper consideration to our surroundings. Soon, the phone rang and it was Grizelda, shrieking: 'KEY CARD KEY CARD, you didn't give me the KEY CARD!!' I had no idea what she was talking about, but as she continued to rant and rave, I worked out that she was talking about the car key - she wanted us to leave our car key at reception. Perhaps she could have asked us that whilst we were down there, and perhaps not in a tone that suggested her pants were on fire. She yelled that we had parked in the wrong spot (I note that she did not tell us where to park), so down to the car park we go to see what she's on about. She made us move the car a few metres up from where it was; an exercise that really achieved nothing. Other cars could have gotten out, there was plenty of room. We were then reluctant to leave the key to our expensive rental car with Grizleda, however she informed us that those were the hotel's rules and if we didn't like it we could leave. This ugly encounter with Grizelda upon our arrival in Nice, unfortunately put a damper on our experience of this beautiful city. I would strongly advise against staying at this hotel unless you absolutely have to. The other staff at the hotel were helpful and pleasant, particularly the morning receptionist, but first impressions count for a lot and unfortunately, when I think about this hotel, the first thing that comes to mind is Grizelda, the Wicked Witch of the South of France.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Quality of hotel corresponds to only one star hotel. Small, unkempt and dirty rooms. Poor breakfast with only one pcs baguette, croissant, jam and coffee.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My and my friend stayed at the hotel for 6 days last July. The hotel was Ok for the money, but they ended up ripping us off. I would like to warn you NOT TO GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD!!! I did a mistake, and ended up with a double charge for one night! When I called them and asked for the explanations they gave a vague one, saying that the charge was a no-show. Meanwhile we were staying in the hotel!!! I had to call AMex and dispute charges, but it is difficult to deal with it when you are in the US and they are in France. Be carefull, I have a feeling that it is their scam sheme!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

The only downside was we heard some night time TV and the morning alarm from the room next door (clearly!), but we got a great price deal on the room (with car park) and it is in a good location. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. Would go back there again, definitely if for the same price.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and could hear the neighbours through the thin walls.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Newport, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I was finishing up my business trip in France and decided upon this hotel for my last nights stay due to its central location and fairly decent reviews on tripadvisor, however this hotel is not fairly decent at all. There was mold all over the bathroom, the comforter was faded and stained, and the place smelled damp and I felt like I left the place dirty than when I arrived. The woman who greated me when I came in could not have been less helpful, she was rude and unwelcoming. (However the man who was at the desk when I left in the morning was really nice). I don't like saying bad things about places, but I really can not recomend this place to anyone. I have attached two photos of some of the mold in the bathroom of room 29.

Room Tip: Room #29 had mold, faded and stained comforter, old furnishings, and was noisy
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lugano
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This is a GOOD hotel if...
-you are looking for a place close to the beach
-you don't mind walking 20-25 minutes to the old town (on a beautiful scenic promenade)
-you don't want to pay too much during high season
-you want parking

This hotel is NOT good if...
-you want a TV in your room
-you want to have your room smell fresh (not stuffy and like something wet was left)
-you want clean carpets
- you want anything that is updated or new
-you need a clock in the room

For us it was fine. We enjoy spending our days outside and only needed a place to sleep. We enjoyed the walk to the old town and being close to a less crowded beach area.

There is a nice bakery about 1 minute walk that we ate breakfast at every morning for a fraction of the cost that the hotel offered. It was very fresh and the employees very friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MUMBAI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Locarno is a very well located hotel. It's few minutes away from the promanade. The staff is very cooperative. The connectivity to the hotel is very good. It has many restaurants, grocery store and shops around. Rooms are so so.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Locarno? Share your experiences!