“Dissapointed!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 211 Hotels in Nice
London
“Dissapointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am an experienced traveller and this hotel was a real dissapointment compared to what it advertises on the website.

Pros:
Friendly staff who printed our boarding passes for free
Good breakfast; pastries, yogurts, fresh juice, coffee, bread, cold meats, cheese, cereal
Quiet nights
Bed reasonably comfortable
Good location with transport links and airport bus 98 nearby
Good wifi
Instant Coffee/tea available 24x7 in the lobby

Cons:
Very dirty rooms with lots of marking on walls and stains everywhere.
Bedsheets are placed in the strangest way I've ever seen. Not professional or hotel like at all.
Bathroom walls have stains and not sure what the cleaners actually clean.
Does not look like what's in the website photos
Poor quality hairdryer that doesn't heat up much.
Very low quality toiletries. was thankful i took my own.

Overall I was very dissapointed as we were expecting a clean, pleasant room for our 5 day holiday.
If you want a place just to sleep at the end of a busy day and don't mind the dirty stained walls and corridors, then this is good. It just never felt clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room if you are a light sleeper. Overall there's not much noise in the n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Me and my wife have been at this hotel for a week.The room was big, clean and comfortable . The breakfast is basic but was enough for us. The position is good , near the port and center. We travel daily to other place ( Monaco, Eze, Canne ,Menton till San-Remo in Italy) only for 1 Euro each travel. The bus stop is close the hotel.But the mean reason we write this report is to specify Adrian-the front manager. He worked very hard to do his job and much more. He gave us advices where to go and what to do like a real tourist guide. He is the reason we will come again to stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: High floor and country yard room
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Ibis Styles (recently renamed, was the All Seasons chain) Nice Vieux Port Hotel was the worst hotel I've stayed in during the last 10 years! The staff were shockingly rude.

SUMMARY - room smelt of drains, hidden charges for standard items, very rude staff:

I arrived and found that the room smelt of drains - I solved this in the end by closing the bathroom door and keeping the windows open all day while I was out - was really horrible. The drains were constantly gurling and making a noise.

The clothes hanging space is about a hand's breadth wide - and you are given 5 hangers - this was no good for a 4 day work trip, with a coat, jacket and smart clothes to hang, the coat alone would have taken up all that space!

The room was an unpleasant slime green colour, with markings on the walls - corridors tatty and gloomy. The room was very gloomy, so that it is not possible to read comfortably in the dim light.
After about 10 in the evening for 3 of the nights I was there the smell of smoke (cigarette or canabis) drifted under my door from the corridor - the other guests were smoking in their rooms despite an apparent hotel no smoking policy - obviously blatantly not enforced.

there were just 2 lifts, one was out of action most of the time, and the other lurched and was not a pleasant experience.

Worst of all was the incident when I tried to find out how to use the safe, to store my valuables while I was working elsewhere in Nice during the day. the hotel was advertised as having a safe in the room. It turned out you had to part with 25 euros for a lock for the safe, and then be charged 4 euros per day to use it! I told the receptionist that I had never been charged for use of a hotel room safe before - he shrugged his shoulders and told me very rudely "do you expect to eat in the restaurant of the hotel and not pay" !! I was rather taken aback, and explained that when I booked online it had told me the safe was in the room - he got even ruder in response. I had no choice but to pay. Then on the final day when I checked out, and tried to claim back my 25 euro deposit, another receptionist now insisted I had not paid for the safe! I told her I had, and she insisted I hadn't - it was unbelievable! I have never been so rudely spoken to in a hotel before. In the end she backed down, and returned my deposit. then she decided to charge me a tax that I had not been told about during booking, and then she also charged me 4 euros to stow my luggage for 3 hours (one small suitcase) in their left luggage until I needed to catch the bus to the airport! I have also never before been charged for storing left luggage before in any hotel, ever - she gave me a printed receipt for it this time.

I found all these extra charges were deceitful, having not been told of them, they were unexpected, and the hotel staff extremely rude.

The only good thing about the hotel - which is why it is not rated 0 stars, was the breakfast, which had some fruit salad, croissants, cereal. Tea was no good as the water wasn't hot enough.
For a work trip, which I was on, this hotel is survivable if you are out most of the time, but truely awful. If you are going to Nice for pleasure, do not stay here - lighting is awful (green walls), smelly room and corridors, very little space to put your things, like clothes (depite being a double room), uncomfortable and unpleasant surroundings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IbisStyles H, Directeur général at Ibis Styles Nice Vieux Port, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for having taken time to communicate us your comments concerning our hotel.
You see me undoubtedly sorry to learn that your stay was not up to your expectations.

Our etablissement is completly non-smoker, we make the maximum so that all our customers respect this rule and we are going to set up a procedure so that each will respect this rule.

Concerning the safe , indeed we ask for a 25-euro deposit because we have in the past to buy serurres or to change our safes because it happens that our customers forget to let us keys.

We charge 4 euros for rent the safe a day, we think that there was an misunederstanding on your exchange with our receptionniste on the fact of the invoicing of the safe.

However concernant the invoicing of the luggage store, we think that you had the invoice of the rent of the safe because our lugagge store is free for the customers of the hotel.
I looked for this invoice and I found only the receipt for the rent of the safe.
I suggest you contacting me directly by email to solve this misunderstanding.

I would like to apologize to you in the name of the hotel and of the team for this stay insatisfaisant .

Since the beginning of this year we do the works of refurbishment of our corridors and in our rooms .
Best regards
Schinznach Bad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The positives: friendly staff, quiet nights. The negatives: dirty room, no warm water, since many guests took a shower just before us. Many items in the hotel are not well maintained and the overall impression is cheap.
The choice of breakfast items is fine, but dirty plates, forks, knifes, tables, cups, etc. In my opinion a negative price-quality balance.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is not the first time I stay at this hotel, and I enjoy staying there because of the location, the price, the quality of the rooms, the breakfast, and in most cases the service (though I had a couple of incidents with personnel there, but this was years ago). People are friendly, and helpful when needed. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have spent 4 nights in early April 2013 at this hotel. It has great location - close to old port, close to Place Garibaldi, just steps away from the old town. Bus stops all around, very convenient for any trips if you do not have a car (we went to Cannes, Antibes, Eze and Monaco with no problems). From outside, it looks very average, but the interior is very nice and cozy, fresh colours that make you smile. Rooms are very spacious, renovated, nice fresh style. Also bathrooms OK. For a 3-star the standard was very satisfying. Everything cleaned every day, rooms very quiet, i had a great sleep. Wifi at the rooms working good. Breakfast were delicious, very wide choice, pastries, yoghurts, cereals, fresh juices, coffee, always fresh and tasty. Everything refilled regularly, even at 9.58 :) so you do not have to worry if you do not manage to get u early. The only negative is the level of staff at reception desk, who were bit slow and not speaking great english - but this is very typical for french people, so no surprise :). But cannot complain, they have solved all our issues and questions. I would recommend to come to this hotel, for the price you get much higher value.

Room Tip: we have used 2 rooms, both very nice and good, on 3rd and 4th floor.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The bedrooms are spartan but provided everything we needed. For a centre of old town hotel the rooms were bigger than expected. The staff were delightful and the standard of cleanliness very high. The best thing was the location. Five minutes from the old port sea front and 5 minutes from Garibaldi Square. The hotel is surrounded by reasonably priced restaurants and bars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ibis Styles Nice Vieux Port? Share your experiences!