“Read ALL about it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #103 of 212 hotels in Nice
London
“Read ALL about it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Hi Hotel. However, I would highly recommend that before booking you go to their website and understand that this is a unique hotel with design features that are not suitable for everyone. Since we had done our research before travelling, the hotel and room met our expectations. This was clearly not the case for the gentleman that was standing in the lobby yelling at the hotel staff about his room and the close (and exposed) proximity of the toilet to his bed. Unfortunately the hotel was sold out so they couldn't move this guest to another room and as a result our check-in was delayed as they attempted to educate this gentleman on the concept of the hotel. Unfortunately he just didn't get it!

The hotel staff are very friendly, speak English and once they were able to focus on us check in was quite easy. Our open plan room (#44) was small but had two large windows to allow lots of light in. We DID have a private toilet area so no issue there but keep in mind this room has an open concept so the sink and bathtub are part of the room. Moreover no separate bathroom. Closet space is almost non existent and space around the sink for toiletries is limited. The beds are firm, bed linens a little scratchy and shower is handheld. We enjoyed watching a DVD (free) from the hotels collection on our large screen projector tv one evening. The tub is massive (room for two) and the windows have automatic black-out shades if you need total darkness to sleep.

The rooftop pool is small but nice. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the beach and 15 minutes to the train station.

The Hi Beach Club is decent (€16 per day) but please note if you are not using their Beach Club or the rooftop pool towels are not provided for use at te public beach.

As previously mentioned if you understand this hotel before arriving you'll have a great time!

For us, it was nice to try something that was different from the standard hotel and as a result we had a unique and kind of cool experience staying at the Hi Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have just returned from nice on friday and stayed at the hotel with my husband and 2 girls aged 3yrs and 1.5 yrs for 3 nights. I was very impressed with the hotel and our room which was an indoor terrace. It was very modern and contemporary (exactly how i like my hotel to be) and very clean, comfortable and central to all facilities. the staff were very helpful, at night they would provide me with warm milk free of charge and charged my husband's i-phone for him as we forgot the charger. we both really enjoyed the fact that the room was open plan apart from the toilet, as we were able to keep an eye on the children whilst having a shower. This was the first time in a very long time, i stayed in a 4 star hotel as usually we opt for 5 star and not once did i feel it could not have been a 5 star hotel. I really enjoyed the quirky facilities in the room - electric blinds, all light switchs were silver monochrome. the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the pebble beach which you pay for and about 15 mins walk from the main centre with bars and restaurants. there were plenty of supermarkets, cafes, restaurants round the corner, leading upto the promenade de anglais. I wish we could have stayed longer and would return to the hotel. overall, we all thoroughly enjoyed our short break.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Pros:
Different themed rooms.
Unique concept.
Loungey feel.
Splendid location.
Friendly staff.
Discounted access to "private" beach.
Free internet.

Cons:
Rooms are not large and not suitable for all groups (definitely not recommended for families).
Rooms are very eclectic and may not suit a broad range of people.
Basic amenities are compromised to blend in with a theme or design (form over function)
Expensive and limited food options within hotel (although there are several eateries nearby)
Difficult to guage the room type by seeing pictures online.

Bottomline: If you are feeling adventurous and young, then by all means this is a good option to consider. It is a few blocks away from the world famous Promenade de Anglais, Place Mediteranee and Old Town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fontvieille, Monaco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

THis hotel proudly boasts its 4 stars at every opportunity. THere is no way on earth that any reputable travel company would give this 4 stars - i am sure they made it up. Check in - after the excruciating sound of squeaky sliding doors that greets you, you get a long slow check in process where they want every last detail about you. The welcome drink is a plastic cup of water or apple juice. I said i wasn't sure how long i wanted to stay but that i would know in 24 hours and it would be a maximum of 7 nights. So they said well we'll book that and then you can let us know. Then they want to debit my card for half the total for the stay. I hate doing this and think it rude and unecessary but i let them. They took EUR 715. Each night was 299 but on some complicated 7 for 5 package if i stayed 7 nights. No luggage attendant, the check in girl helped me unload my car - i find it extremely embarassing when girls have to lug my bags - and it is only acceptable in a 2 star establishment.
The room was just atrocious. Shades of turquoise assault you. An ikea-like canvas hanging thing in lieu of a wardrobe and no drawers. Paper cups so that your toothbrush falls over. A toilet so small that you have to literally crawl around the door to get in. Low SMALL double bed that was uncomfortable to get in and out of. Light switches only on the bed head and impossible to see unless you were actually IN bed. THe design of the whole hotel is quite simply revolting. Bright garish colours that just look old and grubby. Zero practicality. No space for any toiletries, and the shower gel and shampoo had stickers saying DO NOT REMOVE. For those prices - seriously, let people steal the toiletries if thats what they want.
I ventured to the pool bar in the evening and there was a sign saying 'go to the vending machines' - classy. The vending machines stock champagne and offer you paper cups to drink it out of. The pool is more of a large tub. Downstairs i tried to find the restaurant but ended up in the kitchen. I gave up. The next day i was informed that what i thought was the kitchen (it looked like an airplane kitchen) was in fact the breakfast self service area. With trays like in a company canteen. It was quite literally the most appalling breakfast set up i have ever seen. I decided to leave. In returning to my room to pack, i shared the tiny slow lift with the cleaner and her trolley for the 3rd time.
They told me that i was lucky that they weren't going to take the entire stay cost (7 nights) and that instead they would just keep the 3.5 nights 'deposit'. I explained that i never confirmed how long i was staying, and was happy to pay for the one night i spent there. They had also told me that the 'deposit' was in case i left without paying - not a non refundable fee. Apparently lots of their customers leave without paying - well now i know why. They literally begged me to stay and offered me a different and nicer room but who would want such a miserable customer to stay? The manager tried to tell me that had i tried the breakfast, the quality of his yoghurts and ham would make me want to stay. It could be the best produce in France, but i would still be serving myself using a tray from a disgusting kitchen sitting at a multicoloured plastic table. When i said his refusal to refund was illegal, he told me to go stay in an Ibis and then insulted my nationality (i am swiss). Nice.
I will sue them. I will also win.
I should have realised that a small boutique hotel with free rooms last minute in July is obviously a really bad hotel. I saw plenty of other guests looking pretty miserable too.
I have had some pretty bad service in my years of travelling the globe but this place should seriously be closed down. And yes - the beach is miles away and you have to pay extra for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

When searching for a Nice hotel there were so many classic designed places that the Hi Hotel immediately jumped out to match my trendy/small/design hotel style. It met my expectation on uniqueness and size and exceptional staff -  oh the breakfast was by far my best hotel bfast bar to date. From arrival at just past midnight the checkin gentleman was ever so friendly and polite to make sure I felt at home and was looked after, to the next day a member of staff walked with me two blocks to help arrange my bicycle rental when I had problems.

I highly recommend booking the Hi Beach, again staff amazing as well as beach and mojitos - rooftop pool small but does a superb job for a cooling  sunset dip!

The area of the hotel is a touch off the side of the city, make sure to be prepared to walk and also bring plenty of euros for taxi's. Going for a day to St Tropez via boat was definitely a highlight of my experience. They can help arrange this for you.

All in all, a wonderful experience.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

The location is poor unless you are coming to stay in the hotel and only get spa treatments. The beach is 5 blocks away. Not convenient to local transportation. The room made me smile for the first 5 minutes, then I realized half furnished as past of the 'design'. Aren't you trying to make something better when you design something? They failed here. On the positive side the staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed June 2012
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is classified as a design hotel and it certainly has some interesting rooms. I have to say our room wasn't exactly the most relaxing or practical. The outside space and breakfast area was lovely as was the food for breakfast. Service was excellent and very friendly. The location is pretty good, they have a very nice private beach section which is worth using.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hi Hotel Eco Spa & Beach? Share your experiences!