“May be even better than its big brother ( Bistrot d'Antoine)?” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“May be even better than its big brother ( Bistrot d'Antoine)?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We have been for three meals at this new(ish) restaurant which is run by the same team that runs Bistrot d'Antoine just around the corner. On each occasion we have been impressed by the range and quality of the dishes we have eaten, by the service and the general ambience.
We have twice chosen to set in the back room (' la cuisine') and have found it fascinating to watch the chefs preparing meals in a very calm, unpretentious way.
We would recommend their pizza (at €9) for two to share as a starter - totally unlike any other pizza we have ever had, but absolutely delicious, especially when it has truffle butter on. The mains generally include several meaty dishes, including offal eg liver, kidneys, beef cheek (the most tender meat I have ever eaten) along with fish options. Prices range from about €12 - €19 .
The desserts sound pretty conventional, but I can assure you that they generally feature a twist of some sort that gives a fresh take on a dish.
Can't wait to go back next time we are in Nice. CLOSED SUNDAY AND MONDAY

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Simply Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

As Francophiles ( lived in Paris many years ago ) and often visiting France, we were in Nice for a few days before returning home after 2 great weeks in Corsica. We had dinner here the first night which was so good we returned for lunch on our last day ( it was closed on the intervening Sun / Mon ).
This is the French restaurant of your dreams - truly memorable meals with excellent food, good list of local wines at sensible prices, staff who are both knowledgeable and friendly, together with a lovely ambience.
The restaurant was frequented by many locals when we were there, which is always a good sign. Can't wait to go back !

Nice
“Great value for money, wonderful French cooking and ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

A friend who 'knows her food' being in the gourmet business, recommended this restaurant so I booked a table and went with her and another friend, visiting me from New York. Although a Nice resident for a few years now, I have found a few restaurants that are reliable and tend, like many, to stick to them, so I was pleased to try somewhere different.

I didn't eat a lot during the day so I could indulge in the full 3 courses and I am so glad I did. My friend recommended I reserve a table in the back room and on arriving I could see why. The back room is smaller - with only about 10 tables and you see the kitchen so the ambience is homey and you can ogle the chefs at work.

The food was amazing and for once I picked the dish for practically each course that the other two were a little envious of. Having said that, everyone's food was so good there was little envy but lots of trying each others dishes. Every course was a hit and unlike many restaurants where you can occasionally think, 'the starters are better so I will only have starters and main and sacrifice desert' this is a restaurant where you should come prepared to eat the full 3 courses as they are all fabulous.

I will be going again without a doubt and Comptoir Du Marche will become one of my mainstay restaurants as it is such great value for money for the quality of food you receive. The chefs take real pride in their work. You need to reserve usually at least a couple of days in advance to get a table as this place has a solid reputation and if you are booking on a big day like Fri or Sat possibly more than a few days - a week or so. If you are coming to Nice on holiday I recommend you make that international call from home and book in advance - you will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Excellent food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stumbled upon this restaurant by mistake when we couldn't get a table at any of the restaurants we wanted. The food was delicious and served by friendly and helpful staff at just the right speed so that you neither felt rushed or frustrated at having to wait too long. The seared tuna is to die for - I've never tasted anything so delicious. The wine list is also very good -we had an extremely good bottle at a sensible price. It was so good that we promptly returned the following night and were equally impressed.
I would recommed this restaurant for a delicious and reasonably priced meal, served in warm, friendly surroundings.

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Authentic fare, slightly overdone decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Followed the guides and wound up here for a 9pm sitting on Friday night. Packed (usually a good sign) WITH ANGLOS- not so much....though by 10pm I was seeing a few more locals stroll in.

Started with mi-cuit de thon for my girlfriend and the encornets fricasses....both very flavorful. Moved on to the more heavy 'joue de porc' pork cheek which was perfectly cooked but I was underwhelmed by the 'fond' or gravy...nice but not stellar. Girlfriend had Turbot fish which very well cooked.

Shared a very flavourful and airy 'light chocolate mousse for dinner- and yes it was light- one perfect for two.

Wine list a bit limited and prices leaning towards pricey given what was on offering.

Ambiance was very pleasant if perhaps a bit crowded. Decor kinda gave me that American 'overdone' where they gutted this historic building, restored it to a modern base and added 'old touches'.....I guess so....but in France, I do prefer slightly more 'authentically worn' looks....

RESERVATIONS A MUST and it was also interesting to note all the other restaurants around this one were empty as we walked out at 10:30....

Would I return? Probably once I'd checked out the other 2 or 3 'good' restaurants in the old town. I'd recommend safely to those looking for an affordable and tasty French meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere