“Lovely food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was ambling round the neighbourhood looking for somewhere to eat near the hotel and stopped here. I had not read anything about it before. It turns out that the chef is genuinely trying to recreate some of the more classic dishes of the south of France. I puzzled over the 'petit farcis' which the waiter duly brought out to show me. In a dish with clingfilm they looked cooked and ready to be stuck in the microwave which was not a great introduction. Nevertheless I chose them and they were really good. The beignets of courgette flowers that I had for a starter were also excellent although very expensive. A creme caramel for dessert was also good. The waiter was friendly and tried to chat to me despite my poor French. A French couple and another French family were glowing in praise to the water for the dishes they had. Sitting outside was nice (because it was really hot) but its not the most attractive street. So not the best meal I have ever had but a brave effort

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

PORTSMOUTH
“Lulu's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Just around the corner from our Hotel Ellington we came here on our first night not wanting to walk too far. Very nice menu with friendly waiter.

Visited June 2012
Lyon, France
“I felt ripped off by the restaurant, overrated.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I went to Cantine LL due to the reviews here and Lonely Planet and was so upset for the rest of the evening. I did check the menu before but overlooked their pricing. They did not offered menu meals. The starter of assortment is a measly size of 6 varities dumped on a white plate, no presentation and everything merge into one another, unable to distinct. Their main speciality is the beef stew and they offered 2 sizes, my husband forgot to mention the small size (10euro) and they didn't ask and assume the big plate for me (18.50euro). The portion was so small that I thought they've given me the small plate which was what i had wanted till I was presented the bill. We asked them to cook some gnocchi for our 5 year old thinking they would offer kids plate. The portion was so small we really believed that they've given us a child's portion, moreover it was just gnocchi with butter and not entirely the same as offered in their menu. They charged us the full price 12.50euro for child's portion! The baguette offered was dry and tasted awful. Our bill for 2 adults and 1 child came up to euro 76.50 (1 diner 3 course, 1 diner 2 course and a plate for child) and they didn't even leave a receipt for us to take away . The restaurant is very small and simply decorated with the typical modern furnishing of black and red, more like a bistro, defintely not a restaurant experience. Serivce was quick but only becuase the place was 20% full. I felt completely ripped off! Another restaurant, Nissa Socca in Old Nice offers huge plates at a menu of 18euro for 3 course and it tasted just as decent, we went there for 2 nights straight. They totally ripped us off making assumptions and not clarfying themselves.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“A Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We ate at this restaurant and were blown away with how beautiful the meals were. I would highly recommend this restaurant!

Visited October 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Fantastic Food in Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Fantastic food! If you're in Nice looking for vegetarian options and you're near this area, check out La Cantina de Lulu!

The food was so good here! The menu also specified vegetarian options which I loved as I hadn't seen that yet here.

We ordered a plate of the chef's choice with 12 vegetarian tapas and as our food experiences in France would have it, we just about picked up our plates to lick them clean :).

The food was beyond lovely with an assortment of eggplant and zucchini fritters, ratatouille, onion pizza, swiss greens pancake, chickpea salad and more. Everything was delish.

Would I come back? Yes, I would for the food for sure. Would I hope we had a different waiter? Yes. I would. That is all I will say about that. :)

Visited October 2011