“Good but not cheap” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Petit Palais

You added Hotel du Petit Palais to your Saves list
Hotel du Petit Palais
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17, avenue Bieckert, 06000 Nice, France (Formerly Formerly )   |
Ranked #6 of 211 Hotels in Nice
Manchester, England
“Good but not cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nice hotel overall. On a bit of a hill and in a residential (but very nice) area so beware non-walkers. I didnt realise that the hotel had private parking so left my car at the airport. Boo. Also didnt realise there was a little pool. I mean little! However it was enough to get me in my daughters' good books. The room we had looked a tad tired but had all we required. The staff (especially the lady whose name i have unfortunately forgotten) were excellent and unbelievably attentive. All in all it was good stay and would recommend if you are not on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights and loved it. Our room had a fabulous terrace with two chaise lounges and a table/four chairs with awesome views of Nice and the Mediterranean. The hotel is situated in a residential neighborhood on the outskirts of Nice, overlooking the city, so returning to the hotel, the walk is partly uphill. At a leisurely pace, we got to Old Nice in 15-20 minutes. The walk, however, is totally worth it...the hotel is very well-maintained with appealing decor and lovely grounds with lots of plants and flowers, and the staff was friendly and helpful. There is no restaurant on site, but there is a bar, and a delicious breakfast buffet daily. The hotel also offers room service...I called one morning to see if we could have breakfast on our terrace, and a delicious tray was delivered within 20 minutes...likewise lunch on another day. The bed was very comfortable, and the wifi worked well for us. Regarding other comments about thin walls, noise was never an issue...we could hear our next-door neighbors' door opening and closing, but we felt it was very quiet overall. The bathroom was small but functional...curiously, the hand-held shower head was installed on the center wall of the tub rather than at one end, which made stand-up showers a little challenging. But it was a minor issue - we would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Room 202 has a large terrace with awesome views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kunitachi, Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

You have to go up a hill a little bit to get to this hotel though (took me about 5 mins to get up there. You can take a taxi.) without it this place is nice and quiet, and pretty place to stay. The view from the room was awesome (There are only a few good seaview rooms available). I will come back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Northbrook, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My sister, nephew and I stayed at this hotel two weeks ago, we loved it!!! My sister had the most fabulous balcony looking over Nice and the Mediterranean Sea, it was simply gorgeous. I would stay there again, it was away from the city center which I liked. Great Hotel!!!!!

Room Tip: I stay on the bottom level, (which would be the basement) but I had a wonderful room, and I had a ve...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just ok - noise from people in rooms next to us and below disturbed our sleep. Sounds like the walls are too thin. Away from the noise (and expense) of the waterfront but if there's one thing I ask from a hotel it's a good night's sleep and I didn't get it.

Otherwise no criticism - maybe I just had some bad neighbours but would probably try somewhere else next time. Nice room, excellent view, helpful staff so don't want to rate too harshly.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor - has best views and no one over you to make noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just stayed here last week. Have to agree the views are amazing. We had a sea-view third floor room. The room was not overly spacious but adequate, as was the size of the bathroom. They had placed a small table with chairs in front of the window which was a fabulous spot to sit with the window open and just admired the view. The breakfast was very nice and we were happy about the price as Paris was much more expensive! The concierge was very helpful organising us a place to have dinner which was great. The walk down into the old town took about 15 mins which was quite convenient but walking back up the hill was a little longer.
The only downside to this place was the very obvious lack of soundproofing between the individual rooms. Conversations between the people next door ( and they weren't shouting) and the shutting of doors was actually quite loud. If you are a light sleeper or don't really want to hear people discuss where they might have left the toothpaste last then maybe think twice about this hotel.

PS notably the windows were double glazed and excellent at keeping out traffic noise so it was a shame about the internal noise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

When I travel to Nice, I generally stay in central district ( Massena street, Carré d'Or, Promenade des Anglais ). This time I decided to try "Le Petit Palais " given the good reviews. I must say I dont regret my decision because the situation of this hotel is very convenient and you're close to many places by foot ( Convention Center "Acropolis" and Le Carré d'Or in 10 min, Old town, Place Massena and Avenue Jean Medecin in 15 min ). Only the beach is a little more distant but is a pleasant 30 min walk. When you return to the hotel, you have to climb a hill but if you're a bit sporty it would not be a real challenge.
Advantage of this location is that the surroundings are very green, shady and peacefull ( also at night, except sometimes the dog next door ).
The welcome was very warm and polite, and we got an excellent advice for a restaurant close to the hotel, rue Gioffredo. The negative reviews I've read about the attitude of the staff may concern just one person of the four, an older lady who is not so friendly and a bit arrogant. However I didn't have any issue with her.
Building: it's a typical 19th residence, Belle Epoque architecture, but bear in mind that is not a luxury boutique hotel, just a french 3 stars hotel and it was not renovated by Jacques Garcia.
But for the price it's more than correct.
Room: if you want to have a nice view, choose a panoramic see & city view Room on the 3 th level otherwise you will only have a partial view on the level 2 and no view on the level 1 ( terrace ). The cheapest rooms are facing the little street ( where the entrance is ) and are very very tiny. The bathrooms are also a little cramped too but everything is functioning good.
I slept well on the comfy bed, I was just bothered by the smell of cigarettes coming from the room below ( which have a terrace ).
Breakfast: at 16 Euros, it seems a little bit too expansive first, but you get everything you want: all sorts of teas, Nespresso machine, breads and croissants, scrambled eggs with bacon and sausages, fresh fruits and local products as an excellent bio yoghourt and jams.

I can recommend this hotel for young and less young people, singles or couples, who like the old-fashioned charm of ancient houses and the hospitality that goes along.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel du Petit Palais? Share your experiences!