“A different way to discover Nice.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Petit Palais

Save Saved
You added Hotel du Petit Palais to your Saves list
Hotel du Petit Palais
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17, avenue Bieckert, 06000 Nice, France (Formerly Formerly )   |
Ranked #6 of 212 hotels in Nice
Geneva
“A different way to discover Nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

When I travel to Nice, I generally stay in central district ( Massena street, Carré d'Or, Promenade des Anglais ). This time I decided to try "Le Petit Palais " given the good reviews. I must say I dont regret my decision because the situation of this hotel is very convenient and you're close to many places by foot ( Convention Center "Acropolis" and Le Carré d'Or in 10 min, Old town, Place Massena and Avenue Jean Medecin in 15 min ). Only the beach is a little more distant but is a pleasant 30 min walk. When you return to the hotel, you have to climb a hill but if you're a bit sporty it would not be a real challenge.
Advantage of this location is that the surroundings are very green, shady and peacefull ( also at night, except sometimes the dog next door ).
The welcome was very warm and polite, and we got an excellent advice for a restaurant close to the hotel, rue Gioffredo. The negative reviews I've read about the attitude of the staff may concern just one person of the four, an older lady who is not so friendly and a bit arrogant. However I didn't have any issue with her.
Building: it's a typical 19th residence, Belle Epoque architecture, but bear in mind that is not a luxury boutique hotel, just a french 3 stars hotel and it was not renovated by Jacques Garcia.
But for the price it's more than correct.
Room: if you want to have a nice view, choose a panoramic see & city view Room on the 3 th level otherwise you will only have a partial view on the level 2 and no view on the level 1 ( terrace ). The cheapest rooms are facing the little street ( where the entrance is ) and are very very tiny. The bathrooms are also a little cramped too but everything is functioning good.
I slept well on the comfy bed, I was just bothered by the smell of cigarettes coming from the room below ( which have a terrace ).
Breakfast: at 16 Euros, it seems a little bit too expansive first, but you get everything you want: all sorts of teas, Nespresso machine, breads and croissants, scrambled eggs with bacon and sausages, fresh fruits and local products as an excellent bio yoghourt and jams.

I can recommend this hotel for young and less young people, singles or couples, who like the old-fashioned charm of ancient houses and the hospitality that goes along.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just spent 3 days in Nice at this hotel with my husband. We had a superior room with sea view and it was lovely to wake up to views across the old town out to the Med. Breakfast at 16 euros may seem steep but it is buffet style and there is plenty of choice so we had a substantial meal which saw us through until evening. The staff are delightful and speak English. Within a 10 minute walk there are some very good restaurants, we dined at L'atelier on both evenings. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough but you do need to be fairly fit as it is uphill although you can of course jump in a taxi - problem solved! We liked it so much we are going back in November.

Room Tip: Room 308 on the 1st floor, lovely triple aspect.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I loved the location, the front desk personnel (Patrick welcomed me), the room and the dining area. I took bus 98 from the airport, getting off near the art museum and loved the walk up the hill. I enjoy walking, so that the hill climb was quite a pleasure choosing a different path and direction each day. Since I was attending a meeting at the Acropolis, I found the short walk very convenient and relaxing.

The internet wifi worked well at times, and was totally dysfunctional at other times, the local router locking me out. No one could fix this, but it might work again the next day. Don't count on the wifi.

Room Tip: I chose the less expensive garden view because when I was in my room, I was working. I enjoyed the l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend here in April with another couple and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff are friendly and helpful, rooms very nicely decorated and the location offers fantastic views. We paid for a sea view and like other travellers would highly recommend doing this! There are three levels, lower ground rooms are beside the breakfast room and have lovely little terrace areas. Upper ground (where we were) is beside reception etc and elevated enough to offer good views. However, the upper floor (where our friends were) offers exceptional views! That said, we had a corner room which offered more space. We had breakfast one morning and found this to be of a good standard but a little limited.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Syosset, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our welcome was first class, and our room was striking. Past reviewers are right - if you take a view room here on the upper floor you may not want to leave that room ever. You get an extraordinary view down the hills to the ocean where you can see sooo much of Nice from east to west. We really felt like royalty - just kept the French doors open and sat and looked.

We actually tried to cancel our next hotel reservation to stay here longer (but couldn't alas). It was so homey, the bed and bath just right.

OK eventually we did have to leave, and we hit some monsoon-like weather (they loan umbrellas). Have to be honest and say you need pretty good heath to march up the 1/4 mile wiggly hill (in the rain several times in our case). But it was worth it for the view and the residential neighborhood).

Must mention the fruit tree terrace/garden with all kinds of fruit-bearing trees and large bowls of these labeled around the place - a super oasis. Totally recommend this.

Room Tip: Absolutely get the view room on the upper floor - it will be worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at this lovely boutique hotel. We were greeted by Patrick after climbing the hill with luggage from the train station (take a cab). He made us feel most welcome in perfect English and gave us a beautiful large room with the most spectacular view of the city and sea. You do pay a price for the view as the 10 minute walk up and down the hill can be challenging and at night we did not always feel safe going through the museum and hospital areas. The full breakfast on the terrace is delightful and should be enjoyed at least once during your stay.

• Stayed May 2013
ann arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is a bit of a walk uphill from the city center but it is in a beautiful and peaceful neighborhood. The hotel has free wifi and helpful front desk staff. The breakfasts are served on a beautiful patio. The beds are extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are spacious. I would definitely stay there again. It may not be the best location for guests who are elderly or out of shape as it requires some walking from bus stops.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel du Petit Palais? Share your experiences!