“Nouvel Hotel, Nice.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Villa Nice Victor Hugo

Save Saved
You added La Villa Nice Victor Hugo to your Saves list
La Villa Nice Victor Hugo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 bis Boulevard Victor Hugo, 06000 Nice, France (Thiers / Train Station)   |
Ranked #60 of 212 hotels in Nice
England
“Nouvel Hotel, Nice.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We booked this hotel because it was recommended by Easyjet. Why, I don't know!. Not so much what was wrong with it, as what was right with it!. Firstly, parking...no carpark although no one had mentioned this to me. We had to park the car down the road at a public car park and pay 2 euros per hour. The carpark does offer reduced parking at night with a further reduction for hotel residents but again, no one had told us and we only realised after 2 days. As far as the room was concerned, the carpets were stained and dirty, and there was a stain on the wall behind the fridge. One of the fridge legs was missing and when the fridge door was opened, the fridge fell forward. There was a hole in the base of the bath and whilst it had been filled with something and therefore waterproof, it was unsightly. We had a little balcony,but the tiled floor was badly damaged and we were a bit worried about safety. The breakfast was meagre, no fruit or cereal, and you have to take your own milk if you want tea. We stayed 4 nights and paid £637, inclusive of car and flights. so I did not think it was particularly cheap... about £70 per night.

Room Tip: apparently the 6th floor has been renovated, although I did not see it myself.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was only £30 per night through easyjet. Any review has to consider this low price. We stayed on the second floor, facing the main road. The hotel is well situated in the centre of town. The room has not been renovated and is basically "tired" and needs improving. However it was generally clean, not dusty and no smell, though the carpet was worn and stained. The bathroom was also clean, but had some chipped tiles, and is probably due for a refit.
There are no tea/coffee facilities, but there was a small empty fridge, and a security box (key from reception for E10 deposit). The TV carries the French free channels. Free Wifi is available, but the signal strength was too weak from my room to be of use!
The breakfast was a croissant and a bread roll with a choice of jam or nutella. There was also natural yoghurt, some butter biscuits and mini-cakes. A selection of coffees from the machine and tea were available.
All in all this hotel is ok but basic. It's only a two star hotel, and we found it ok for the three nights we stayed. However - if you want the nicer touches that you would expect from, for example, the Holiday Inn across the road, then you have pay the higher prices.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aviano, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I know that several reviews did not recommend this hotel. However, I found the hotel to be very nice and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. I had a room on the 6th floor and this floor has been totally renovated. The renovations are very nice, new carpets, paint and furniture. I was very impressed with my room especially after having read the reviews before I left home. Definitely ask for a room on the 6th floor. One of the staff said that my room which faced the church was the best because it was very quiet. I never heard any cars at night. I asked about the renovations and the staff said that the 6th floor is the only one that has been completed so far. The location is wonderful, very easy to walk to the promenade, old town, bus stops etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the 6th floor facing the church.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I`ve booked this hotel on Booking and there weren`t review cos they write hotel was "recently renovated". Ok, I decided to try... So about renovation - it`s ablolutely not so!
Hotel`s public areas and especially rooms are very old, with old furnuture, dirty floor and walls, old TV, old and weak lock on the door. I saw an insect in my room. So why they lie about renovation? It is ok only for short stay in Nice, never go there for long holidays. No refrigerator in the room. Wi-Fi works only in lobby, I used neithbours free wi-fi because couldnt to catch hotel`s WIFI in my room.

But it was cheap, good location near city center, room and towels were clean (thanks for housemaid in this hotel)

But I so love Nice that even this hotel couldn`t to spoil my holidays..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

This is a basic 2 star hotel. If you want to do this on a budget without high expectations
then ok..The beds/ towels are clean but the carpets are dismal , the heating doesnt
work correctly, and makes a terrible noise. there are no coffee/tea making facility in the rooms
and no extra pillows/blankets.. showers yes..and the water hot but you cant have a bath due
to no plugs.. the breakfasts are thrown at you very D.I.Y. the staff dont make much effort at
all and personally found them a miserable lot.. However it is central and convenient for the
station, the shops markets etc.... the place needs a lot of money spent on it and they need to repair various holes on the ceilings/bathrooms .. pass i think !!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I would usually not send a bad review, I would rather just forget about it but I think this hotel is different. The room was small and the carpet was filthy, very badly stained and had a musty smell. The walls were badly marked and damaged and the shower had no shower head or curtain. When I asked for this to be corrected I was told they would get on with it, they didn't. I asked for another room but they were full!!!!! I asked to speak to the manager, but he was unavailable. I made an appointment to see him the next day, he didn't turn up. I tried to find another hotel but the price was out of our budget. I complained like hell to the booking agent. Finally I received a 50% refund, but this did not cover the awful expeirience. If this was the only hotel left available in Nice, I would go to Cannes instead, and I adore Nice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Villa Nice Victor Hugo? Share your experiences!