“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt

You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Rue Marechal Joffre, 06000 Nice, France (Formerly Comfort Hotel Roosevelt) (Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 211 Hotels in Nice
VA
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I only had one day to spend exploring Nice and the surrounding area so I did a lot of research before choosing the BW Roosevelt. I'm glad I did. I was a little apprehensive of the Best Western name (not the best rep in the States) and what level of quality to expect (I was staying in a 4 star luxury hotel in Paris) but I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. As a single female American minority traveler, I felt very safe and welcomed here. What impressed me the most about this hotel, more than the amenities was the customer service which I would rate as 5 star. I arrived from Paris on an early AM flight not expecting my room to be ready but the receptionist accomodated me after a short wait. Every one I encountered here spoke excellent English. Better even than I encounter in the States at times! I fully expected to put my Rosetta Stone limited french into use here, but found that I rarely needed to speak French except in a couple of shops. Once I figured out (with help from housekeeping) that my key card operated the electrical system in the room, I was set. The room was basic and small (I didn't feel cramped and expected it to be smaller) but cute and had a refrigerator and small balcony. I had a shower only in the bathroom and the water pressure was great and the water was hot. It was clean and most of all quiet so I was able to catch a quick nap to recharge before I went exploring. I was having trouble arranging a tour to explore Eze, Monaco, and Monte Carlo because a lot of the companies there didn't want to accomodate a solo traveler. Once I explained this to the receptionist and told here where I wanted to go, she told me that she could take care of it for me and not 15 minutes later she called me back with news that she had arranged the tour I wanted! Since I had a few hours before my tour departed, I went out to explore. The neighborhood was very quiet and I felt quite safe while I was away from the hotel. It was about a 5-7 minute walk to the Promenade des Anglais and shopping area. I had the best quiche in a little bakery/cafe (near the Promenade in the market area) which I tried on a whim. Wish I remembered the name of it for future reference, but I might be able to find it again. The tour was wonderful and included a stop at the perfume factory and opportunity for photos and shopping in between at the different locations. I wish I had gotten recommendations for dining when I returned but I found a quick bite close to the hotel that evening. I guess I was exhausted from my journey b/c I didn't hear my iPod alarm go off the next morning and I had to rush a little, but reception came thru again and had a cab ready which got me to the airport in more than enough time. Wish I had time to try the free breakfast but I grabbed something in the airport. At a glance, BW Roosevelt advantages: Excellent price point, great location, free breakfast, free wifi in the rooms and free usage of computer in lobby, and refrigerator in room. Disadvantages: Hmm, there weren't many but the halls had power saver motion sensored lighting but even when they came on, the halls were still a little dark and depressing, but I didn't feel unsafe. Small elevator, like many in France. I never used it since I was on the 4th floor, I used the stairs. No parking. The cab had to drop me on the opposite corner when I arrived b/c of traffic and a couple of cars already parked in front. These were really just minor inconviences rather than disadvantages. Overall, thanks to the wonderful staff, I had a great stay during my little day trip from Paris and I wish I had scheduled at least a couple of days. I would definitely consider staying here again. Thanks Ladies!

Room Tip: The bathrooms seem to vary widely from shower only to full tub with shower. Ask when checking in if...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in July. We chose the hotel as it was reasonably priced and in a good location. Almost everything we wished to visit was in walking distance from the hotel, the train station (about 15 mins), bus stop to Monaco (10 mins), old town and beach within 15 minutes.
Seeing as we arrived late we took a taxi to the hotel which costs in excess of Euro 35, the bus is a far cheaper option if you have little luggage.
We were warmly welcomed by the night staff and able to check in very quickly and straight up to our triple room. The room and bathroom were both a good size and there was a small balcony outside for standing. As the hotel is centrally located we did hear some traffic noise, but this did not interrupt our nights sleep.
The breakfast which included breads, ham, cheese, croissants, and an orange juicer was enough for us each morning. We especially liked the fresh orange juice each day.
The free wifi worked fine throughout the hotel.
There is a lift in the hotel, but it is quite small. It was helpful though as it was far easier than carrying suitcases up 4 flights of stairs!
Overall we had a good experience in the hotel, our bags were securely stored on the day of our departure.
Nice is a beautiful spot to visit with plenty to see in the city with a real highlight the Marc Chagall Museum, Also some great day trips to Monaco, Villa Kerylos & Ephrussi Villa.
We also had some enjoyable dining experiences in the area with our favourites being Aphrodite and Don Camillo Creations.
We would certainly consider this hotel if we are staying in the area again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
denis06000, Propriétaire at BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for your very extensive review.
I am glad that you liked your stay at the Roosevelt
you are right about the location. Ours is perfect because it is next to everything and very safe if you come bak late to the hotel for ex.
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in late August. The staff was superb and the location could not be beat. It was on a quiet street yet close to restaurants, shopping and beach The hotel is also walking distance from the train station which is a nice plus for travelers. For a 3 star hotel, the service and amenities were more like 4 star. The bathroom was clean and sheets were very comfortable. This is one of the few hotels during our trip to France that I can say we felt at home in. The free wi-fi and breakfast were very good. For around $200 US per night, this hotel was good value for the quality of stay. I would highly recommend this to travelers looking for a nice hotel without breaking the budget.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
denis06000, Propriétaire at BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
a big "merci" for your review !
No we are not a 4 star hotel ! Only 3, but we do out best every day, so our guest have a very nice stay at the Roosevelt.
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

The hotel is in a great location... walkable to the sites we wanted to see and the beach. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The A/C in our room didn't work very well, but we didn't mention it to them until we checked out. The room is a bit small, but that is expected for France. We would definitely stay there again. =)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
thank you for writing on Tripadvisor.
I am glad that you had a nice stay at the Roosevelt despite the A/C not strong enough. as you said, you should have told reception so our maintenance man would have done something about it.
thank you again and hope to see you another time
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Very helpful & friendly reception staff. Room nice & clean. Cleaned daily with fresh towels provided and toiletries. Excellent location as near to restaurants, beach, quality shops and a ten minute walk to the station. Ten to fifteen minute walk to the old town of Nice. Ideally situated for both staying in Nice or travelling up and down the coast, ie to Monaco or to Cannes. In the height of the season, we found the train the best option, ie 35 mins to Cannes and 30 mins to Monaco. Can take a lot longer on the bus as it stops everywhere and tends to get held up in traffic!! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return there.

Room Tip: Twin bedded room was more spacious than a double
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
denis06000, Propriétaire at BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Hello Sir and thank you for beeing so kind with us.
I could not have written a better article if i had to write an advertissement for the hotel !!!
thank you again and hope to see you again in Nice soon.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Very good hotel for the value. Everyone was very nice, for the exception of one girl in the reception area. I can't recall her exact name but it starts with an ‘S’. She was very unpleasant (I felt like she hated to be working in a hospitality industry); she was rude to me every time I asked her a question. Just an example: I asked her to store 1 bag for a day and she claimed that the luggage room was full, when she opened it, there was not ONE piece of luggage in that room!!! I also heard her arguing with guests in the hotel on a different subject. Honestly, with so many options of hotels in Nice, there is just no excuse for such a behavior.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
denis06000, Propriétaire at BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear Madam,
Thank you very much for writing that we are a very good hotel and recommending it, although you had a problem.
i must say i was surprised reading that the receptionist was mean to you and seemed to hate her job. She has been working with us for two years now and is one of my best receptionists, always smiling and trying to help clients.
After investigation, i found out what happenned : you asked her to leave your luggage in our storage room, even though you were checking a week later.
For security reasons, we only store luggage to accomodate our clients when they arrive early at the hotel, or when their flight is late in the evening when they leave.
After you insisted, she agreed to take you luggage and left me a note to exlain why se made an execption.
I am sorry you felt this way but i an assure you that this receptionnist in particular loves her job and give me and many clients full satisfaction.
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

The hotel is located 5 minutes away from the busy tourist-restaraunt precinct, which benefits by avoiding much of the noise/music that can go quite late.

The hotel is clean and tidy, as you'd expect from a mid-range franchise, and the front desk are generally happy to help with directions, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review, and thank you for recommending the hotel.
The worst thing when you stay at a hotel is to feel that you have not beeing given what you exepected, based on the hotel promisses and the reviews.
I am glad that you did not have bad surprises at the Roosevelt !
Best regards and hope to see you soon at the hotel.

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Roosevelt? Share your experiences!