“Very nice hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Gounod Nice
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Rue Gounod, 06000 Nice, France   |
Ranked #60 of 211 Hotels in Nice
Täby
“Very nice hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

A very nice hotel to stay in, at least in this season. We stayed there four nights. The only thing missing was a shower curtain! We stayed in a very big twinroom. nice furniture. Very good breakfast. Easy to walk to interesting places in Nice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

How many years have I been staying at the Gounod? Can't remember! Must be at least 12, maybe more. The fact that I (who am difficult to please) continue to return tells you all you need to know.

This latest stay was totally perfect. My room was immaculate, the Manager and every member of staff I encountered were friendly and charming. The buffet breakfast was as good as ever. Wi-fi (paid for) in my room was lightning fast; having the computer to use in the foyer is a bonus, as is having a refrigerator in the room. My room which I stay in each year has two full-length French windows so is airy. The spaciousness of the room with its adjacent entry area and wardrobe means it doesn't feel at all cramped.
The hotel's leaflet suggests that some rooms are decorated in a 'trendy', 'boutique hotel' style; my preferred room is more traditional, and just lovely.
Multiple TV channels are a further benefit.
My sleep was never disturbed.
I love Nice, and recognise that there are many, many 3* hotels there, but I simply wouldn't even THINK of staying anywhere other than the Gounod. So delightful, so ease to get to, so well placed for exploring the city.
The Manager and staff are truly some of the most delightful anywhere in the world. The hotel has great character - and benefits from its association with the adjacent Hotel Spendid, where one can access its many additional facilities (some of which I have ticked in the form, below), but I had no need of them. Roaming Nice and feeling utterly 'at home' at the Gounod was enough!

Believe me, this really is a special place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Beautiful French hotel in a fantastic location. Walking distance to beach, old city, shops and train station. Lovely big room with the kids in a separate room. Nice and clean. Very small breakfast room but great food and service. Staff very pleasant and spoke English. Shared facilities such as internet and pool with sister hotel next door but we didn't use any of them as we were too busy out all day. Perfect for our needs. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I booked the Hotel Gonoud for my family because the website promised spacious rooms, a kitchenette, access to a swimming pool and a good location. The locations is good, about 4 blocks from the beach. My husband, 3 kids and I stayed in one room and my father stayed in an adjacent room. We arrived around 9 pm after an al day road trip. We were brought to our rooms and I realized that instead of giving me a cot for my 4 y.o., they had given me a crib. I asked about it and was told that they couldn't do anything about it that night but that in the morning they would take care of the issue. My daughter, fortunately did not put up a big fight about sleeping in a crib that night. The next morning, they brought us a cot.

The room had one bedroom with 2 twin beds and the crib for my kids and had another room with queen bed for me and my husband. There is no separate livingroom area. It had a spacious bathroom and a kitchenette which did not work. In fact, the cook top did not work and there were no plates, pots, or utensils. There was a small refrigerator. When I complained, I was told that the kitchenettes had not worked in many years and that instead, the hotel offered a free breakfast buffet. The breakfast was very good, but when you travel with a family, it is good to have access to a functioning kitchen. When we arrived, after the crib crisis, I discovered that the AC in the bedroom did not work. I was given the same answer--it would be taken care of in the morning...not good. We were there 4 nights and I don't think that AC ever worked properly.

The swimming pool that we had access to was the one in the Hotel Splendid next door. It is 6 feet deep all the way around so it is not really suitable for kids. Overall, Nice was beautiful and we enjoyed our trip, but this hotel was disappointing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Czech republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Found the best rate on the hotel's website. We booked two bedroom suite for a very nice price. The hotel is located close to the sea and just couple streets from the pedestrian zone and main square. When coming by car you can use hotels outdoor parking place for 17Euro/day. The rooms are quite big with high ceiling, though they are bit updates and could use some renovation. However they are clean and the bathroom was spacey. The staff was excellent, receptionist very helpful. We had breakfast in our rate which was simple but very good with excellent croissaints. Personally I prefer bigger chain hotels, but for its price, location and staff I would definetely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked a suite for 4 nights in mid-September after reading previous tripadvisor reviews. The two connecting bedrooms were clean and spacious with comfortable bedding. You'll have no trouble getting to sleep. The breakfast buffet was adequate, if a little unexciting. Wi-fi is available for an additional charge, but availability was erratic. The obliging concierge came to the rescue with free acess to the hotel's private network. The level of occupancy from visitors across Europe indicates this hotel has a reputation for good value in a central location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights and found it very nice. We arrived very early on the 1st day and were given our room and had breakfast. The reception and service in the hotel were very good and very helpful. The breakfast room is not too large but is fine. The breakfast buffet was good and we generally stuck to the cold food. Our room and bathroom was compact and comfortable. The small bathroom only had a shower (with door) and had been recently renovated.

The hotel has individual safes at reception. There is a empty fridge in the room.

The hotel is 3-4 streets from the main promenade and we used the bus to get around. The hotel is very easy to find from the airport bus. It is a good 20 to 30 minute walk to the market and old town. There are restaurants and small shops close to the hotel.

We used the small roof pool in the sister hotel on one evening which was a good way to spend a few hours after walking around Nice.

We would stay here again if in Nice and would recommend.
There are loads of things to do in Nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Gounod Nice? Share your experiences!