“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 211 Hotels in Nice
London, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

A two minute walk to the Christmas Market, around five minutes to the Nice Etoile shops and about ten minutes to the beach. The Massena is perfectly placed to make the most of Central Nice.

We arrived way earlier than anticipated and the receptionist arranged for housekeeping to prepare our room asap which was very welcome. The public areas of the hotel were clean, modern and welcoming.

We had an internal room so no view, but it was a very quiet part of the hotel. The room itself was clean and well prepared. The bathroom was well stocked with soaps and shampoos etc and also had a hairdryer. We had a few issues with lights and plug sockets not working intermittently but they seemed to fix themselves so we didnt report it to the hotel.

Food wise, we took breakfast which was ok. The buffet selection was reasonable with sausages, scrambled eggs and bacon (although the latter did run out one morning without being replaced). The pastries were varied but the croissants ran out on two of the three mornings we were there.

There is a bar which was quiet and the prices were pretty much standard for Nice.

Overall the hotel is well placed, nicely presented and the staff were attentive. We would recommend it and, assuming we return to Nice, there is no doubt we would stay again.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel Massena is a clean, well located property in Nice that provided a great base for my first trip to the Cote d'Azur. I stayed two nights here, and was able to maximize my limited time by being so well located to explore the city, and being a 10 minute walk (or 3 min tram ride) from the train station.

The room was a good size, if a bit spartan in terms of decor and feel, but as a solo traveler with an explorative agenda I was only in the room to sleep so it worked well for me. Front desk staff was very efficient and helpful, and provided a great deal of information and maps for Nice and the overall area, which I used heavily throughout my two nights.

Breakfast buffet was very basic but adequate to get yourself filled up and out the door. I liked that the hotel was also well positioned for exploring the major shopping areas and seaside promenade as well as the Vieille Ville, my favorite area.

Overall this is a great hotel if you want to be close to all areas of action and near the tram and train for easy daytrip access. If you're looking for a relaxing beach holiday, you may prefer a hotel with a waterfront location and a balcony, but Hotel Massena is a great pick for any other travelers.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Perrine P, Responsable relations publiques at L'Hotel Massena, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking time to share your experience at the Hotel Massena with the Trip Advisor community.
As you mention, our location is one that cannot be beat! We are central to so much of what Nice has to offer whether it is shopping, sightseeing or going out for a night on the town, there is something for everyone!

I am happy that our staff took good care of you by providing excellent service and recommendations.

It is with pleasure that we will welcome you next time, maybe you'll have the opportunity to return this winter for the Nice Carnival, a major event in two steps away from the February 13, 2015!

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Service great. Full Breakfast Buffet was included. Huge breakfast. Rooms small, but location is excellent!! Public rooms appear to have been renovated relatively recently. Concierge desk extremely helpful with bookings for dinner - and Riviera tours - small numbers of travelers, usually well run.

Room Tip: The location is great. Don't know how to recommend room choice. Stayed in different rooms. Al...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dear MArion P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of stay at the Hotel Massena.
I appreciate your mention of our excellent location which is central to so much of what Nice has to offer.
I’m happy to hear you appreciated the buffet breakfast included with your room. This B&B package available on our official website is a very good choice to start the day.

You're right our public area and our 110 rooms and suite have been completely renovated. The owner of the Hotel Massena has wished to magnify and modernize this emblematic 4 star hotel of Nice and the French Riviera.

My sincerest appreciation for your kind words regarding the staff.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back,
Yours sincerely

Shawbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked this hotel at the last minute with minimal research and was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We were greeted by a very welcoming receptionist who spoke excellent English and couldn't do enough to help us. Room (privilege) was spacious and clean and the bed was big and comfortable, fantastic!! Bathroom was clean and tidy and the hotel had a very modern look about it. Buffet breakfast was awesome and a final coffee in the lobby made this a treat each morning. All the staff were extremely friendly and we cannot find one bad thing to say about this hotel. The receptionist is an asset to the hotel and our thanks go out to her for being do helpful. Can't wait for 2015 and our next visit..... Ooops, meant to say hotel is easy to reach by bus from the airport and only 12 Euro's for two so save your money on a taxi.....

Room Tip: Go for a privilege
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

We want to extend our sincerest gratitude for taking the time to share your experience and to highlight all the wonderful things you enjoyed about your stay ! Thank you for this wonderfull 5/5 !

From our housekeeping staff to our Front Desk Agents, one of our top priorities is to fulfill all of our guests’ needs so I am so pleased you found our service to be friendly and helpful.

I am delighted to read your comments about your "fantastic" Privilege room. All our rooms just have been fully renovated with contemporary furniture and a quiet and cozy atmosphere.

We'd love to see you soon, and I invite you for your next visit to book through our Facebook page on which we offer a 10% discount all year long.

Yours sincerely,
Nice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Friendly service. Heavy rain during the stay and that caused an irritating dripping sound in the room which was very intense. No problem changing room, very good. Superb breakfast. Wll come again and recomend it.
The drawback with our stay it raind every day!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Perrine P, Responsable relations publiques at L'Hotel Massena, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Sir,

Thank you! We appreciate you taking the time to review our Hotel.
It is not often raining in Nice, but when it happens it rains a lot in one go. We hope you will have the opportunity to come back to experience the beauty of Nice with blue sky and sunlight!

Best regards,
Perrine Pellet, Public relation manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

My first time in Nice and I was upgraded to a room on the Sofia (as in Loren) Suite. Excellent hotel with a balcony and a room with a view. Pictures of the stars in my room were George Clooney and Audrey Hepburn. I loved having a refrigerator, a bathtub and being within walking distance of all of the shops and the promenade. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Even the meals ordered from room service were great! I traveled solo and would definitely stay here again!!! The only complaint I have is that I didn't get to use the balcony because it rained much of the time I was there but that was no fault of the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Massena for your first time in Nice !
Our Sofia Suite do provide a high quality of comfort and I'm glad you could stay in this room.
The satisafcation of our customers is our priority, we strive to offer the best service throughout the year.
It is a privilege to gain your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future trips to Nice with the sun shining !

Yours sincerely,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Massena for 3 nights in one of the privilege rooms. The room itself was clean, spacious and had a good bed. In general there was not much to complain about, except for it's shower. I'm never a big fan of showers combined with a bathtub, but the installation was done in such a way that you had to move around the shower not to bump into the hose and still get wet.

The staff was very friendly and it's breakfast offered a nice variety of options. The location of the hotel is very nice. All the things worth visiting can be easily done from this hotel. The choice of decoration in the hotel is somewhat moot. The mixture of modern art and pictures of old movie stars, which is not entirely my personal taste. Also the hotel promotes having four stars, but in my experience I expected more (service, fancy furniture, etc.), causing me to give it an average score...

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
hotelnicemassena, Deputy General Manager at L'Hotel Massena, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I would like to thank you for selecting the Hotel Massena during your last visit in Nice and the time you took to write us the interest you attach to our property.
All of us are committed to provide the highest degree of comfort and service to all our guests. Your evaluation is important, telling us what we do a good job or what we have to improve.
I will certainly share your observations with the entire hotel staff and are sorry not to have meet your expectations.
Best Regards,
Georges PRADIER
Deputy General Manager

Been to L'Hotel Massena? Share your experiences!