“Ideal Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 211 Hotels in Nice
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Ideal Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is very convenient for most of the tourist areas of Nice and the Cote d'Azur. It is within walking distance of the old town, the sea and main promenade and main shopping streets. Only about 100m from the tram stops (Massena) giving easy access to the main train station (Nice Ville) and towards the old town & port area. We booked a Privilege room but e-mailed the hotel prior to travelling asking for a balcony. On checking in we were told we had been upgraded to room 519. The whole hotel was very clean and the staff very professional ,smart & helpful - indeed they checked flight details during the recent air traffic control strike for us. Breakfast had a good choice of foods and drinks, all on a self service basis. There is free WiFi but we did not use it. Getting from & to the airport was simple. Catch bus 99 which drops you off in a side road by the station. Go back to the main road (20m)
and walk down to the tram stop (100m) Use nearest platform and get tram (2 stops).Cross over tracks and walk by side of Galeries Lafayette for about 60m.Hotel on left hand side. Word of warning - most travel books mention bus/tram fares as 1euro (4 euros to and from airport on express bus) These have been increased by 50% to 1.50 euros & 6 euros but still good value.The fare system can be confusing. Many trains to Monaco(Monte Carlo); Antibes & Cannes together with intermediate stops.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelnicemassena, Deputy General Manager at L'Hotel Massena, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I would like to thank you for selecting the Hotel Massena during your last visit in Nice and the time you took to write us the interest you attach to our property. I am very delighted to read your comment and I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you in the future.
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great location close to everything with stylish interior. The staff at the front are also really friendly and attentive. I could not have asked for more at the price I paid. A few minor gripes that keeps me from giving the hotel 5 stars. 1) The shower is a freakishly small space. I am not a tall or thick person whatsoever and even I could barely fit comfortably in it. 2) wifi is slow and barely worked in my room on the 4th floor when door was closed. Even in lobby where signal works it is not very quick or dependable. 3) breakfast is overpriced for what is offered. Notwithstanding these three minor points I would highly recommend the Hotel Massena for an inexpensive hotel in the middle of everything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
All of us are committed to provide the highest degree of comfort and service to all our guests. Your evaluation is important, telling us what we do a good job or what we have to improve.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Ok, let's face it, 4 star in France doesn't always equate to 4 star in the UK. Ideally I would rate it as good but the ratings dont allow for that and it's better than average.
The reception is clean and smart and I think the designer has been to Planet Hollywood, in LV for his inspiration. The breakfasts are good as well with a buffet of hot and cold stuff available.
The staff speak good English and are polite and helpful.
The room was big enough for the two of us with a safe that works of the door key, a nice touch, a mini bar and a flat screen tv that picks up BBC1 and 2 and CBBC, handy if you have children.
The room's a bit plain but the bathroom was big enough for two and the seperate WC could be and advantage! So, on the whole not too bad for the centre of town and handy for the old and new town restaurants. Be aware that there is renovation work being carried out to the town centre parks so ther are some parts surrounded by building boards.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The location is the best thing. Easy walking distance to old town, the ocean, airport bus (98) and shopping. Room ok. But most annoying was the WiFi. Never had WiFi in our room (312). The staff always said, yes you should have it and we'll reboot the system. Nothing happend. After asking 4 times I gave up. So do not count on the WiFi, it only works in the reception area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
hotelnicemassena, Directeur général at L'Hotel Massena, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I will certainly share your observations with the entire hotel staff and are sorry not to have met your expectations for the WIFI access.
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Massena hotel for 2 nights in room 210. Although we had booked a Privilege room and our voucher said so, we were given a quite small standard twin room the cleanliness of which was doubtful. The receptionist claimed they had reserved a standard room for us. Also the walls are too thin and one heard every noise from corridors and next rooms. Breakfast was very good and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
hotelnicemassena, Deputy General Manager at L'Hotel Massena, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
Thank you for your comment about the Hotel Massena. We will not fail to share it with all our teams and take note.
We are sincerely sorry to hear that the size of your room has been a source of embarrassment for you. It seems that the original booking mentionned a single room and you were two, may be a misunderstood between the agency, your request and the information we've got appeared. We are sorry for that and be sure that we done our best to satisfy our clients.
We look forward to welcoming you in the Hotel Massena on your next stay in Nice.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Hotel in very good location, 2-min walk from Place Massena. Can take a tram from Nice Ville train station. 10-min walk to the beach and old town. Comfortable & spacious room. But it's a bit odd to have the toilet & bathroom separately.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I would like to thank you for selecting the Hotel Massena during your last visit in Nice and the time you took to write us the interest you attach to our property. I am very delighted to read your comment and will be happy to inform our staff about it.
I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you in the future.
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The rooms were small. The space between the bed and the desk was inappropriately narrow. The separate bathroom made me claustrophobic. But it was the most quiet hotel I have ever stayed in. I didn't hear the elevator or the other guests' doors or the street. We had a room in the very back (224). As others have said the location is ideal. The staff was very helpful. We need additional guidance to use the bus system. We also couldn't log onto the internet except for at night (must be less people trying to use the wifi). We didn't eat breakfast so I can't comment on that. I would definitely stay there again. And I hope to get the opportunity.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Deputy General Manager

Been to L'Hotel Massena? Share your experiences!