“Great location, a bit pricey at high season, yet, spacious room and great view at the swimming pool.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Aston La Scala

You added Hotel Aston La Scala to your Saves list
Hotel Aston La Scala
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Avenue Felix Faure, 06000 Nice, France (Formerly Grand Hotel Aston Clarion Nice)   |
Ranked #69 of 211 Hotels in Nice
Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location, a bit pricey at high season, yet, spacious room and great view at the swimming pool. Rooms at different floors are rather different. some are new and some are quite old. But clean enough. It's very safe to store the languages there. and it's not far from the T train and the old town. Cafes nearby and a block away form the plaza.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Clarion Aston :with my travelling companions.The rooms were comfortable and clean and the bar staff helpful and cheerful. However, considering this is a 4 star hotel, we were shocked that tea and coffee making facilities were not available in the room.
I agree with the other reviewers that the lifts were slow and we sometimes took to the grim staircase for fear of getting stuck! Despite the few plusses, and the good location, I will not return to this Hotel as I do not believe it offers value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies are only on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We have just spent a fab week here, and would not hesitate to return, location excellent , views must be seen from roof top pool to be believed, sun beds at pool were free of charge, you do have to pay for beds at the beach. Staff couldn't be more helpful, would of happily give marks of 5 for everything, only reason I didn't is when we arrived we were given a classic room, on floor 3 ( which is what we had booked on a room only basis)that did look tired, however I asked at reception and we were upgraded to a refurbished room with a balcony and breakfast included for a small extra charge excellent value for money, people have mentioned the lifts were a little slow, your on holiday how fast do you need to travel in a lift? Work on front going on although we didn't suffer any disturbance , can't wait to go back and see when finished.

• Stayed August 2013
Workington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Position of the Hotel is fantastic - in easy reach of the beach, shops and restaurants. Renovations going on in front of the hotel to make gardens which will be lovely when finished.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Rooftop pool and bar a real bonus with marvellous views of Nice - although to get a sunbed it costs 20 euros per person per day - other hotels with pools were free!
However, beware, do not book a room on floors 2 and 3 ( classic rooms) as these have not been refurbished and pictures of these rooms are not advertised on their website. They are very tired and dated, unlike rooms on other floors which we visited which were fabulous in comparison. (these rooms were pictured on website!)
I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again but would make sure we booked a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms on floors 2 and 3 until they have been refurbished. Higher floors appear to have...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

First the plusses and there are plenty of them. The staff were brilliant especially the concierge who was great at hounding Easyjet to retrieve some luggage that Easyjet had lost, the room was lovely and the bed was one of the best that I have ever slept in. The location was faultless, adjacent to both the Old Town and the 98 Bus route back to the airport and the view from the rooftop area was stunning, both day & night.

The only real downside was the Lift which takes forever and only has one outside button, so you end up stopping other people's lifts even if they are not going in your direction. The breakfast is not brilliant but is good value for money considdering what else is on offer nearby, and the pool really is a vey large bath - don't expect to get fit.

All in all, I heartily recommend this Hotel but make sure you get a good room.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have a great view and a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I would love to give the hotel a 5 out of 5, because the rooftop area (day and night) offers such a relaxing atmosphere and great views. The staff at the bar area were wonderful too. We also loved the location, near the old town, which will be even better once the park area is completed. However, the management need to review their safety procedures for when the fire alarm goes. The signs on the rear staircase were not clear, and there did not seem to be staff around to help. That said we would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandHotelAston, Deputy General Manager at Hotel Aston La Scala, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your message which is a real encouragement to us.

Our staff will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and their professionalism.

It’s true that our hotel is very well located, in front of the Old town of Nice, close to the shopping area and a few minutes walking to the famous Promenades des Anglais and its beaches.

Our rooftop area is indeed very nice, with its swimming pool and its bar restaurant, where you can drink a fresh cocktail or eat a salad or a sandwich, with a 360° view on the Old city, the sea, and the mountains.

We are happy to inform you that the works in front of the hotel will be finish in October. You will on your next visit benefit a wonderful urban park and its water mirror by the window of your room.

We have taken very good note of your security suggestion and have already brought the necessary amandement .

We really hope to see you again in the Grand Hotel Aston and we thank you one more time for your valuable comments.

Yours sincerely

Tony Tsirepas
Deputy General Manager
Tucson, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I had the distinct displeasure of staying at this hotel for four nights in August 2013. I believe a previous reviewer hit the nail on the head when he suggested that guests' experiences at this hotel were dependent upon the class of the room. When we were in the process of booking this hotel in June, I believe it was closed briefly for renovations, and as a result we were not able to talk to anyone at the hotel. Taking a gamble that the renovations would affect all room classes, and being enamored with the excellent location of the hotel, we booked a classic room. Our gamble failed miserably.

Here's what we experienced in our classic room (pictures included): water (presumably from the air conditioner) was dripping from the ceiling light fixture in the entry area by the water closet. About one drop every 45 seconds. I know this because I counted. Complaint to the front desk was acknowledged, but never addressed. A complete lack of water pressure and temperature regulation meant that when I was taking a shower, when my wife brushed her teeth with cold water, the water in the shower got extremely hot. If she turned on the hot water, the lack of water pressure automatically turned the shower off and I would have to manually hold the switch to get a trickle of shower water. The toilet ran continuously after flushing, necessitating me to jiggle it to turn it off. The bed was awful. In a previous reply, the manager commented that the hotel was built in the 1800's. My wife and I were left wondering whether the mattress was built in the same year. It was uncomfortable and had a large dent in the middle so we rolled into each other constantly. The room was dated, the carpet was worn, there were water stains on the carpet from the leaking water, the suitcase holder (made of cheap particle board with wood veneer) was broken, wallpaper was torn, and the outside corners inside the room (the ones that make 270 degree angles instead of inside 90 degree angles) were in terrible disrepair with broken trim. Additionally, the included breakfast was just so-so, but laid out in a manner to make it look much bigger than it really was. At the end of my stay when I presented my Clarion choice privileges card card to try to get some points, the man at the desk clearly had no idea what I was talking about, and instructed me to contact me to contact Clarion by email for points (Clarion indicates this can be done at the time of service by the hotel).

Upon check in, I asked if the classic rooms had been renovated. When they said no, I asked to pay for an upgrade, but no rooms were available. At this point, I knew I was in for a bad time. Likening the room we were offered to a highway motel is an insult to highway motels everywhere.

I don't take negative reviews lightly, but I absolutely believe this hotel deserves it, because they do mislead customers. It is very clear that this hotel understands the power of social media and reviews because it had dedicated a staff member to replying to almost every review. It is also very clear that they understand that their "classic" rooms are way below par by their replies. Additionally, the management's replies continue to mislead customers by referring to their "classic" rooms as "budget" rooms. Neither their website nor their marquee (photo enclosed) refer to a budget room. One management reply stated that they have pictures of all classes of their rooms. The "classic" room on their website looks nothing like what we got.

The management does see fit, however, to repeatedly reiterate that 70% of their rooms have been refurbished. What about the other 30% of customers who are paying €350 per night - that's right folks over $500/night for this rotten room?! In fact, in one reply, the management says, "We strongly suggest that renovated bedroom are booked on a next visit..." How about either charging a budget rate for these unacceptable rooms, calling them budget rooms openly, or doing the right thing and closing them down pending a renovation?

My wife and I were looking forward to a nice relaxing stay at this hotel but instead found ourselves doing everything we could to avoid the hotel room. We had fun despite this place. I understand that the hotel is undergoing a transition, but the management should be absolutely embarrassed for offering these rooms to a customer that they hope comes back.

Room Tip: Don't choose classic - or better yet stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Aston La Scala? Share your experiences!