“No longer there” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Renaissance - CLOSED

La Renaissance
6 Boulevard Victor Hugo, 06000 Nice, France (Centre)
04 93 87 61 37
Website
Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“No longer there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

La Renaissance has closed. The restaurant has been sold and has re-opened as L 'Hydropathe with new management, new chef, new menu and has ben refurbished. L 'Hydropathe is well worth a visit.

Visited March 2014

Oslo, Norway
“tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The food was overall very good, and the waiter was friendly and understanding when I asked for something vegetarian. Better food than most if the other places I have visited in Nice in that price range.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Totana, Spain
“Nice Looking Restauant, but Average Service and Food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Walking down Boulevard Victor Hugo this looked to be a nice place to eat so we gave it a try. Mistake!

The waiter was less than interested in talking to us, did not bother to write down our order, and was slow to bring us drinks. When the first course of escargot arrived we were pleasantly surprised as the quality was good, but I guess that you cannot go too far wrong in heating up pre-prepared snails!

The wine was OK, if a little overpriced, but this is center city, then the main courses arrived. I had ordered duck with fried vegetables. When the waiter arrived at the table he asked me if I had ordered vegetables or fries. I told him vegetables so he took the plate away to change the fries. When the plate returned I asked him what the meat was, he told me filet mignon. I explained that I had ordered duck! The waiter's attitude was to laugh, and take the plate away again with no apology. The correct meal was eventually delivered, and was OK, but not as good as I would have hoped or expected.

On the bright side, my partner got the meal she ordered and enjoyed it.

We would not recommend this restaurant based on our experience as there are many other good restaurants in the area to chose from.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Eating Among the Locals”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I would give them 3 and a half rather than 3 points if I could, but four is stretching it.. When we are looking for a decent but unpretentious meal, near our regular hotel, and don't want to do fancy, we often come to the Renaissance.

As prior reviewers have said, they know how to do many of the traditional brasserie dishes; and they have a fairly busy oyster shucker outside during the evenings. Stick to simple dishes and you won't be disappointed.

The one or two servers can get overwhelmed when they get busy, but they will get around to you. The food is well, but not brilliantly prepared. With plenty of apartments, condos, professional practices on or near Victor Hugo, they get a sufficiently large percentage of locals which can be reassuring on the quality. There are plenty of hotels in the area too, so tourists are also part of the mix.

There are far better restaurants nearby, but at a higher price point. This place serves the purpose of a respectable brasserie: simple, capably prepared food that won't create lasting memories, either good or bad. It is a fair transaction: decent quality at a reasonable price. The restaurant atmosphere is rather generic.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Olbia
“A place to avoid in Nice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

From the outside this brasserie style located on the beautiful Boulevard Victor Hugo looked quite nice, but once inside we were immediately baffled by the rather unprofessional attitude of the waiter. The food was a dismal experience: ordinary, not well cooked and tasteless, and it took ages to be served. The rosè house wine served in a pitcher we had ordered smelled like fuel and tasted like vinegar: having requested the waiter to change it, he simply reproposed the same wine in a different pitcher. A pathetic farce!
The bill was average for Nice but absolutely outrageous for the quality of food and level of service received. A place definitely to be avoided at all costs!

• Visited June 2011