“beware of the haters” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 1,502 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This chic little restaurant tucked away on the Rue Beaumont in Nice is earning an excellent reputation for its innovative and exquisite contemporary French cuisine. The Head chef, has created a rich and exciting menu with an emphasis on truffles. The intimate dining room at La Roustide is popular with the locals for sophisticated business lunches and stylish evening meals, and the restaurant's signature dishes include the seared foie gras burger served with sliced truffles, bordelaise sauce and French fries; the Rossini fillet of beef with polenta and truffles; and the rocket salad with asparagus, artichokes and, you guessed it, some more truffles.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“beware of the haters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

we've ve been to this restaurant because of the the advice on tripadvisor and it's funny (maybe not for the owner)to see how people can push their own requirement to be the precise reality. the both last english advice were even hilarious and ridiculous, I wish asked them "what the ###### you want ?? maybe when you book your table you can ask for 20% spanish customers, 15% italian 45% french local with a baguette on the arm, if it's what you want ?!!!! and by the way, if you don't know nothing about the truffle, you can wait to don't like it, as simple as that !!!!!!! brief wev'e been to this restaurant my wife, my 2 kids and me, the reception was very sweet and preventing. even if usually it's not allowed, the owner let us order the truffle degustation menu for me and my wife and for the children, they could take a la carte and they were served as quick as possible. the freshness was explosive, associations were just on point, the cooking were precise and the whole experience was very coherent, just and filled with a lot of deep feelings, that really change from the spectacular and highfalutin restaurants. don't wait for hype even more when the restaurant is almost hidden and the owner that humble. thank's for this lovely dinner, continue that way without too much care with those useless advices

Miami, Florida
“Don't believe the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I can't understand what all the hype was about. 2.5 stars for this place based solely on the food and price alone. I ordered the five course truffle tasting menu for 55 euros, without upgrading to the 110 euro 'special' black truffle thing where they incorporate what I was assuming would be high quality black truffles into my dishes. After trying the first 'truffled' dish and not tasting any truffle whatsoever(the bits of 'truffle' on there were dry, nutty/mushroomy tasting things,) I upgraded to the 110 euro truffle tasting in hopes that the higher quality would make the difference. It didn't. I would honestly say it made it much worse, because here were these hard, tasteless(kind of nasty) truffles, spread all over some decently, though not superbly, prepared food. The server, who was also the hostess was so sweet, I didn't really complain and frankly, I feel a little guilt writing this review as I think it was her family's place. However, for 110 euros a person, they can't do what they just did and not expect complaints. Either they were duped into using Chinese summer truffles(fakes, which should be tested by the chef,) or most likely were using older truffles or very poor quality truffles. They failed. I would not return and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
laroustide, Propriétaire at La Roustide, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Sir,
I remember very well your table and talking to you this evening.
Indeed, I informed you that the summer truffle (aestivum) was mild because we were at the beginning of the summer season.
We decided not to use artificial flavors of truffles that could mislead customers with a strong taste which is not the real taste of the truffle.
We are hurt and shocked to read that you accuse us of using chinese truffle. We have NEVER used this product (which does not even deserve the name of truffle) and we pay more than 1,000 euros per kilogram for the black truffle melanosporum.
If we wanted to rip the customer by putting the chinese truffle, we would have at least the "intelligence" (as much) to put the artificial flavor above.
The truffle was not to your taste that night, and we are very sorry, but you can not make such serious accusations.
Our supplier is the same as several Michelin-starred restaurants in the Riviera.
Your comment is serious and has caused confusion and harm to our restaurant.
Above all we strive to use fresh and quality products to satisfy our customers.
Regards.
Sandrine
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good food but very touristic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had the Menu degustation a la truffle. Food was very delicious and the service (one waitress for the entire restaurant) welcoming and nice. It was our last evening on the French Riviera after dining in many good places. Unfortunately the atmosphere at this place was cold and canteen or cruise like. Why? All guests were tourist. No locals at all. We had a noisy German family spoiling our evening. If you want to have a nice dinner AND a local atmosphere - book a table in another restaurant. Maybe it was a bad day, but in spite of the high quality food and the good service we will never com back,
Our recommendations are; L'Aromat, Le Bistro Gourmand, L'Universe Christian Plumail for at mention some of them.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hello,
Thank you very much for your nice comments on the quality of food and service.
First, sorry for my bad english.
Regarding your point "very touristic", we aren't restaurant "tourist trap." The restaurant is located away the tourist trail, the card is very small and only fresh products.
The restaurant is closed the month of August and our customers are mainly local.
Indeed, on this evening, there was a majority of tourists, like you, because of our old place No. 1 on Tripadvisor but this is quite infrequent.
I am saddened that your evening was not that you expect and I hope you come to our restaurant to give us another chance.
Best regards.

Sandrine
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We went for dinner after a long afternoon in Monaco. It's not located in the busy port area but it's not difficult to find. Off the tram and just walk straight got us right to the place.

The staff is very welcoming and took the patience to explain the menu to us (we don't speak French). We chose the truffle menu and all dishes are very nice! We enjoyed the heavenly asparagus soup very much!

Highly recommended!!!

Helsinki, Finland
“Super-delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had really good five course truffle menu during at this lovely restaurant. Food was tasty and original, service was really friendly. One of the best restaurants during our visit in Nice. Great value for money. Location of restaurant is tricky, but be patient it is worth it. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Food