“our favorite weekend spot for moules and rosé” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'Escale

L'Escale
12 quai des Docks, Nice, France (Port)
Improve this listing
Ranked #516 of 1,503 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Port
Nice, France
“our favorite weekend spot for moules and rosé”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We probably eat at l'Escale once a month. Its become our favorite for a sunny afternoon meal of shared salad and moules with a bottle of Rosé de Provence. The owner and staff are friendly, welcoming and its a good value. There are higher ranked restos in Nice, but we have not yet been disappointed at L'Escale. We go most often as a couple but we also take our kids when they are in town on a visit.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Best Moules & Frites in Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife & I discovered this restaurant in the port area, thanks to a good review in the French guide Routard. We have been there several times on this trip, mainly local people eating Moules frites a volonte ( they come and ask you if you want more). We also had loup de mer and prawns and they were excellent also.

• Visited February 2013
Toronto, Canada
“A Very Ordinary Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

There is a mismatch between the exterior (inviting) and the interior (run down and in need attention). Upon being seated and noticing the next table levelled with a crumpled beer mat (well, at least someone tried to fix the problem), a very battered and dirty menu arriving on our table and the frozen fries being served at the opposite table, I was truly ready to walk out. My husband reminded me, we are here for the experience, not for the meal of our lives. There were two fresh fishes on offer that night and the one ordered by my husband was beautifully prepared and delicious. On the other hand, my moules were small, over-cooked and tasteless - but the white wine sauce was good. And did I mention the frozen french fries (I mean how much trouble is it to cut some real potatoes?). Overall opinion - cheap, cheerful (really nice staff) but there are just so many other places in Nice to eat, I will not return to this one.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, England
“If you want to dine with the locals this is the place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Been going here for years-always amazing, staff can be rude and their English is quite limited but they appreciate a bit of Franglais. All you can eat local Moules Frites to die for with pitchers of Rose=heaven!!

• Visited September 2012
St Felix
“Lunch with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

It was raining but we could park just outside in the car park which was very handy as we only had one umbrella!
The place looked like one of these French café but they welcomed us at once and they let us choose a round table as we were five!
This was not going to be gourmet but our friends told us that it was good and good value which it was. I had a simple pizza but l am very fussy with my pizzas and it was just perfect, think crust, crispy, good tomato sauce and plenty of anchovies and capres which l had chosen, my friends had huge portions of breaded veal or chicken and crispy fresh mixed salad and chips, the others had chosen the grilled fish/seafood plater with baked potato and salad and it all was freshly cooked, and delicious! The coffee gourmand for pud is the right way to try a tiny chocolate macaroon, with coffee ice-cream and a minuscule chocolate éclair all served with a great strong coffee! It was all very good and very good value with a bottle of wine and water! I will go back next time l visit friends and family in Nice!

• Visited November 2012