“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Clement Rebuffel, 06250 Mougins, France   |
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Mougins
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We just spent a perfect weekend at Le Mas Candille for my husband's birthday. We can not take holidays in the Summer so really needed some where special to relax not too far from our home in the South Of France. We certainly found it here. La Mas Candille is indeed a very special place and the staff were excellent. There is nothing we would fault. We were especially happy as we were upgraded to one of the Villa suites which was stunning and totally spoilt us. The hotel facilities are very well laid out to suit all requirements. We hope to return again in the future

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
marksilver94, Owner at Le Mas Candille, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Madame

thank you for your kind words, I look foward to seeing you back again in the not too distant future,

regards

372 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I'm not going to repeat the other glowing reports about this hotel - they are all right, it is a really luxurious hotel with excellent food! Bear in mind you get what you pay for - all the rooms are luxuriously furnished but some are very small and the first one we stayed in there was restricted headroom in the shower - I couldn't stand up straight!! But its excellence is also a real problem, it attracts a number of large parties and corporate events. We've stayed here on 2 occasions in May and June and on both occasions there have been large (noisy) parties dominating the place, the second time the terrace was more like a sales convention than a Relais & Chateau Hotel!! We won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Some of the standard rooms are very small.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
marksilver94, Owner at Le Mas Candille, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent comments. Regarding our rooms, we do have a wide variety of rooms, from small provençal style to large contemporary suites. Our reservations staff will be happy to explain all the room types to you.

As for parties and events, yes we do hosts these for our guests from time to time, however we try to ensure that these do not occur during peak holiday times, and we always inform our guests in case of any possible disruption.

regards

marksilver@lemascandille.com
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I have lived in Asia for the past 5 years and we thought it was time we did our Summer holiday back in Provence where he spent 10 years of his childhood. Le Mas Candille was recommended to us by family and having done our due dilligence (endless reading of reviews) we decided to go for it.

Let me start by summarizing that Le Mas Candille is a really, very lovely hotel, and for us - very close to perfect but there were a couple of critical things lacking.

First let me say that Le Mas Candille would not be everybody's cup of tea. It is tranquil, quiet, hidden, which we love but if you are looking for a hotel that has a buzz and a vibrancy to it this will not be your slice of cake. The one word that I would use to describe the atmosphere here is peaceful and to throw in a cheeky second (and third) word(s), utterly beautiful. The grounds are absolutely stunning, impeccably manicured and maintained. You can barely hear the whisper of another person as you're walking along the paths, it's more likely you'll hear a pair of wasps having a natter.

Our room was unfortunately at the back of the grounds which faces the carpark by the spa - our view therefore, was of the backside of a white van. In fairness to the hotel however, we didn't make a special request for which room we wanted as it was booked through an agent. Despite this disappointment, it would be unfair to say that the room is anything other than gorgeous. It felt homely, warm, and welcoming. The only nit-pick was that the bed reminded me of the days as a surly teenager when I used to think sleeping on a bare mattress on the floor was 'cool' - OK so the bed isn't quite that low, but lets put it like this - you won't have to take a running jump to get on it, instead you might just need a helping hand to get yourself out of it in the morning.

During my process of reviewing the hotel before we flew out to Nice, I noticed that the most common complaint out of the very very few, was generally around the quality of breakfast. I am about to add to that list. The first morning we went down for breakfast we were taken aback by two things; 1) What an absolutely outstanding view the terrace provided and 2) what a snobby and useless team of staff were servicing the breakfast period. The terrace is sizeable - I would imagine it seats c. 80 people and that morning, there was only 2 tables of 4 people eating breakfast, plus myself and my boyfriend - that makes 10 people. Why then we wondered, did it take 10 minutes for us to be greeted so that we could order a cup of coffee? When someone did come over, we were confronted by a girl with a face of a teenager that had just been grounded, and furnished us with one of those "and you are?" snobbish looks as though people in their early thirties just didn't belong in such an establishment. Anyway enough of that, I asked for a latte - to which I received another interesting look - this one suggesting that I had just asked her for a deep fried espresso in a combination of russian, polish and irish dialect (confusing n'est pas?). Politely, I explained what a latte was and she returned 15 minutes later with a huge Americano. We called her over again and explained that this Americano was not a latte, but a black coffee and could we please have a latte - she returns another 10 minutes later with interesting interpretation of latte - Americano with foamed milk on top, freezing.cold. All the while, the matire'd has been observing this situation but unfortunately doesn't feel the need to take ownership of the situation and remedy it... Instead my boyfriend called him over and explained that in the time that it has taken to order and receive the infamous latte, that I could have drunk 4 already if it had been delivered at the usual speed one would expect. He trotted off and had a word with the girl, and they both ended up laughing in the corner of the terrace. We didn't go back for breakfast once in the next 6 days of our stay at LMC.

Up to the pool - again, very peaceful and serene. Sunbeds are lovely, towels are lovely, the pool is lovely. There is an almost eery quietness about this pool-area, nobody seems to talk (unusual for us) but it's catching and we found ourselves in permanent whisper-mode so as not to rock the general hum of nature. On a couple of days there was some music on quietly by the pool-restaurant - this was preferable to nothing at all.

Unless you are relaxing in your room or sitting by the pool, there is not a huge amount to keep you occupied, so you'll either need to take the 5 minute walk into Mougins old town or do a day trip somewhere, perhaps Cannes, St Tropez, Valbonne etc...

Generally speaking, the level of service and general attitude from the staff was very disappointing, across the board - whether it was the breakfast staff or various faces at the reception desk - we found them to be amiable, but when you required them for anything other than greeting you and saying goodbye, they were unhelpful and cold. There was a sweet chap who drove the golf buggy for guests up and down the hill - he was lovely, and likewise a young girl who was on summer holiday from university - working up at the pool, she was also very friendly and helpful.

This is a boutique hotel, so there's only one restaurant - (apparently one of the best in the area for dinner) but after our experience and breakfast we didn't bother trying it. There's a little bar just inside, off the terrace, but probably not somewhere you'd sit for a few hours chewing the cud.

As a base to relax, escape, and enjoy the little gems that Mougins old town has to offer I think this hotel is wonderful. But if buzz is your thing then Mougins probably isn't for you full-stop, let alone Le Mas Candille. Will we be back? Yes, but not for the service, just the serenity, the views, the lovely room, peaceful pool and proximity to the little village that we fell in love with.

PS. a parting word of advice, if you are staying at Le Mas Candille for more than a few days and plan to venture out far and wide, I would strongly recommend hiring a car - taxi's from the hotel are extortionate.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front of the grounds
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
marksilver94, Owner at Le Mas Candille, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Madame

Thank you very much for your detailed comments. Your comments regarding the breakfast and front office staff are frustrating for me to hear, we try to ensure our staff are friendly and helpful, and I would say that generally speaking they are. However, we seem to have let ourselves down during your stay, I will personally look into this to find where we went wrong.

Please accept my apologies, I do hope you decide to come back in the not too distant future,

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I am totally at a loss to understand how anyone can give this establishment anything but the most favourable review. We have been returning here for several years and have always (even from the first time) been treated with the utmost charm and politeness. Nothing is ever too much trouble and even if there is a problem, however slight, it is dealt with straight away.
The rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed. Front of house staff are helpful and charming. Waiting staff are unfailingly polite and keen to accommodate any alteration to the menu.
Giuseppe Cosmai is our all time favourite Managing Director and his team deserve only praise.
The setting and views alone make this a truly wonderful place to stay - yes it is pricey, but no more so than any of the other similar establishments on this Coast. It is only a short walk into the village of Mougins, where there are lots of alternative places for lunch or dinner.
There were lots of families around during our stay and they all appeared to be enjoying themselves. I would think older children would probably prefer to be near a beach, so this is probably not the best place for them, but under fives would and seemed (during our stay)to be enjoying it greatly.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your kind comments, I hope you will return many times in the future.

Regards

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

A Very chic spa and lots of french clientele. Probably true as I was recommended this place by a local whose wife swears by it. I gave my own wife a treat for her birthday and she was thrilled. It's not and everyday affair for her but I knew some pampering was in order during our long vacation in the south of france. The feedback I got from her was excellent. She felt the whole world had been lifted off her shoulders and I'm not sure of the name of the treatments she picked, but said that they were much much better than back home. And she wished that something like that was just round the corner in our neighborhood. Ha! I'm glad the money was well spent and it was worth it to see how happy she was! Recommended! Perhaps one day, we'll try the hotel too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I spend four night here and it was wonderful. I had the full spa treatment, relaxed by one of their three swimming pools, there is bocce too. I love this. The location is magnificent. One overlooks the valley into splendid France countryside. THe vegetaion creates a warm adn beautifully private feeling. THe food, well it is so amazing and I have eaten at amazing places. Fabulous!! A short walk to the town where there are art studioss, galleries and restaurants there too. Charming. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Madame,

Thank you very much for your kind words,

Please come back and see us soon !

Kind regards

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Looking for a beautiful hideaway, away from the tourists in Antibes? Gastronomic lunches, cobblestoned streets, lavender fields? Tired of shopping on the Croisette in Cannes? ( I know, I never tire of that either) Le Mas Candille is a beautiful tranquil hideaway in Foodie Heaven, Mougins. It's comparable to Le Chèvre D'Or on Eze and other faves. Perfect for a few days of heaven.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Le Mas Candille? Share your experiences!