“If You Love Food...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“If You Love Food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

If you love food this is the place to be. A wonderful experience - delicious food in beautiful surroundings and great service. Go and be delighted.

93% Recommend
usa
“Excellent Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We enjoyed a two course set lunch outside on the terrace. Very good atmosphere, efficient and amiable service (though noticeably slower as the hour progressed and the restaurant filled up).

A generous feature here, no fewer than three unscheduled and interesting amuses bouche along the way.

We enjoyed a well-prepared and delightfully presented steamed cod entree and. On the heavier side, a pork entree with potato purée. We followed with the best Mille feuille of our trip, exquisite my thin layers of pastry, light as a feather. Add a couple of glasses of rosé and this was one of the most reasonably priced and memorable restaurants on our trip.

Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent meal here. We didn't have a reservation since we had a very busy day earlier, they were very accommodating and welcoming of us. My wife told me about the restaurant but I had no idea that I was about to get such a wonderful meal. First the service was awesome, very attentive and great attitude. We ordered from the prix menu and it was awesome. They brought us a few tasters or treats that were unexpected too. At one point the crowd was thinning out and the chef brought us one of our dishes very unassumingly and I asked if he was the chef. We had a nice chat with him, he is a great guy with a sense of humor and was very welcoming and knowledgeable. It was nice to meet the person who had prepared such an awesome meal and it shows when someone takes great pride in their work. Everything was amazing which made our night amazing too.

Martinique
“Xquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Lunch time menus at 20, 30 or 35e. Decoration delicate, attentive and simple. Staff classy not over done, just perfectly correct. The chef even passed by tables to see that all was satisfactory. The food was exceptional, creative using provençale products,beautifully presented and extremely innovative and tasty. Deserts for the menues was a choice from a plateau, all good. What else can I add to make your mouth water? Oh! Yes! There was the special touch of 'mise en bouche'. And special surprise to accompany your coffee.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A Star is Born”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I'm afraid this will be more of a blog than a review but I can't contain my excitement.

Foodies listen up - go now, trust me, because I predict that this restaurant will soon be amongst those that you need to book 6 months in advance.

Spending last week in the incomparable South of France our hotel, in Mougins, led us to lunch at La Place de Mougins which was so sublime that we booked for dinner the following night.

It's first Michelin just MUST be winging it's way - and it will be joined by two others, I am convinced.

A chic, contemporary and beautifully appointed restaurant where no table is a bad one.

The outside and covered terrace tables (which must open up during the warmer months) overlook the quaint Square of Old Mougins. The inside tables are separated by faux windows - open to the outer areas so guests are all as one. The atmosphere is perfect.

To add to the excellence is a small bar and further eating section on the first floor where utterly spotless 'conveniences' are situated.

The stars of the show are the young, gifted and talented Chef Dennis Fettisson who is supported by one of the best front of house I have met, his delightful and bubbly wife, Muriel. Chef Dennis is constantly watching and meeting his guests (and is not above taking an order or two). Muriel glides with a beautiful smile on her face graciously making each guest feel they are the only ones there. Our compliment about her was greeted with Chef calling across the lunchtime restaurant 'you are fantastic, baby'. And she is. Well, if you have been trained at L' Hermitage in Monaco that's what you get.

I will start by saying that the wine choices are excellent, as is the Sommelier - prices are good for the wines on offer (they also do 'silly' but then why not)?

On offer is, of course, an a la carte menu. Additionally a choice of a set menus priced 25, 30 and 35 Euro PLUS the 'experience of the month' when the Chef's remarkable talent and palate are on display. This month was Aubergine (last month was Asparagus and August, when we return, will be Tomato). Chef creates a menu based entirely around the single ingredient (cost 55 Euro for 5 courses) and it reads like a dream. Finally there is, of course, the Gastronomic 5 courser for 75 Euro.

Our lunch was taken from the 30Euro option which commenced with the most heavenly of brioche style bread dripping with black olive tapenade. OMG about covers it.
The simply laid tables are set with beautifully blown glass salt and pepper containers - the salt flavoured with flakes of marjoram and verbena. Olive Oil from Provence to dip the sublime bread.

Aperitif is served with canapés - small biscuits with asparagus mousse and pickled stuffed red pepper rolls.
The amuse bouche is a dish of excellence in it's own right - a quenelle of gently smoked aubergine ice cream on a small bed of jellied Gazpacho liquid.
My husband started with a Pizza. And not just any Pizza. A small base of butter puff pastry, crisp and flakey utterly inviting. On top sat summer sweet tomatoes, rocket, mushrooms and truffles. (Somehow Pizza Express will never be the same again)
I selected the Pink Garlic Veloute with mussels and coriander emulsion. Words simply fail me.
We both followed with Black Angus Beef flank with white asparagus and jointly went to heaven!

A pre-dessert of a small ice cream is served. We could not eat anymore!

Our Saturday dinner, however, was taken from the Gastronomic menu and we dined on a starter of Carpaccio of Langoustines gently 'cooked; in citrus juices and served with chopped shallots and mango sauce.
To follow was perfectly served pan fried Fois Gras (apologies to those who object) sat on a pea veloute and accompanied with black cannelloni. That was followed by the most magnificently poached Grey Merlu with zucchini and baby octopus. Our main was a saddle of Lamb with olive and a selection of carrots glazed, pickled and pureed with an orange flavouring.
Dessert sent me to another universe - the finest Strawberry soufflé EVER served with biscuit and a wild strawberry sorbet.

Best coffee ever drank added to this unique experience.

Chef Dennis & Muriel - I wish you the continued success your wonderful restaurant deserves.

• Visited May 2013