“Cedric and the other guests were fabulous!” 4 of 5 stars

Le Club Mougins
199, Chemin du Val Fleuri, 06250 Mougins, France   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Mougins
Austin, Texas
“Cedric and the other guests were fabulous!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

After a couples trip to Paris, I traveled solo to the south of France to stay for a week at Le Club Mougins. My condo was on two floors with a living room, kitchen, balcony and bathroom downstairs and a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The view from the balcony was pretty cool - looking down the mountain (hill?) and over the dining court. The room wasn't fancy but was cute and perfect for my needs. The kitchen was small but was well-equipped (including the all-important corkscrew).

On my first night, I ate a fabulous dinner onsite. There were tables inside and outside. Since the weather was beautiful, I chose the table under the stars. The food and wine was delicious. After dinner, I moved to a little bar area by the kitchen and ended up spending the rest of that night getting to know the funny and friendly chef, Cedric, as well as some of the awesome guests that were also staying there. Throughout the stay, I visited the restaurant a number of times and was never disappointed in the food or the people.

All but one of the employees that I met were friendly and extremely helpful. I lost my adapter and one of the counter people let me borrow theirs. It rained one day when there was a tour planned for old-town Mougins. I was the only one who showed up but the entertainment director was more than happy to take me on the tour.

The pool was nothing special but it was fine for laying out and taking a dip. The resort was in a quiet pseudo-residential area but very close to the bus stop (10 minutes to Cannes), the bakery, the grocery store, the ATM, and old-town Mougins. One day, when the bus employees were on strike and the weather kept changing, I ended up going to the grocery store for food and wine, hanging out at the pool, and enjoying a good book. Throughout the day, I snacked on grapes, olives, cheeses, and pate with a fresh baguette. That night I made ravioli in a butter/cream/parmesan (alfredo) sauce with proscuitto and mushrooms. The furniture on the balcony is plastic, but I'd brought a red/white checked tablecloth and had the lights from the outdoor dining area so the ambience was just right.

Old-town Mougins is not far but the walk uphill was VERY steep. Even though I read this in other reviews, don't underestimate it! I enjoyed the studios and little shops and ate at one of the fancy restaurants in town, but you might consider getting reservations to make sure you can get in the restaurant of your choice.

I didn't have a car, so the bus service to Cannes and train service from Cannes was essential. Both bus and train service can be interrupted by strikes with virtually no notice, so if you're relying on public transportation, plan to do the most important things first in case you have to reschedule. If you're comfortable renting a car in the area, you'll have more options / flexibility.

I did a Vespa tour that I'll review later. I mention this because Phillipe came to Le Club Mougins with our Vespas. The tour lasted about 4 hours and ended up back at the hotel. I'd never been on a Vespa before. Although there were a couple white-knuckle moments (one when I found myself one of 4 vehicles across on a two-lane country curvy road), it was really fun. If I'd been a more experienced Vespa driver, I might have decided to rent the Vespa for the rest of my trip as it would be easy to park.

I took one of the half day tours from the hotel that went to Eze and Monaco (and one of the perfumeries). I would NOT recommend that tour as it was extremely rushed and there wasn't enough time to properly enjoy either Eze or Monaco.

Bottom line, if you don't mind the location / transportation issues and you're not looking for a "luxury resort", this might be a great option. Tell Cedric "hi" for me! Brenda from Austin, TX

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review, we are delighted to read that you were impressed with the quality of service and accommodation we offer and we are especially grateful to you for your lovely comments referring to our team - it is very important to us to ensure that all our guests have a lovely and relaxing stay and so we are happy that you were not disappointed! Please come back soon!

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Turkish first
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

A large, clean, well equipped apartment. Comfortable bed. Two TVs (with BBC1/2). Nice balcony. Complimentary items were supplied (milk, toiletries, tea bags, etc). Lovely grounds and swimming pool (although it wasn't warm enough to use in October).
The staff were very helpful - and spoke good English.
The apartments are about 5 km from Cannes. We had a hire car - although I understand the bus service is reasonable.
It is well worth the walk up to the old town of Mougins, particularly at night. It is full of quaint art shops and restaurants. It is quite steep though (about 20 minutes walk there and 10 minutes back)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
It is our goal to provide all our guests with wonderful holiday experiences, and we’re delighted that you had a great time at Le Club Mougins! We really hope you’ll consider us for future visits to the south of France – we’d love to see you again!

Resort manager
Southsea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

WE spent 2 weeks in the club and had a lovely holiday. When we arrived I was very disappointed not to get a first floor apartment, especially as I had phoned from England to ask for an apartment on the first floor and was told there was no problem; then there was the state of the net curtains, off the hooks, cigarette holes dark colour etc. So, our first impression was not the best. It changed very quickly! The staff at reception was most helpful and friendly at all times; the kitchen was well provisioned; cutlery, crockery, utensils, pans, everything needed was there. The apartment was cleaned 3 cleaned 3 days a week and the bedding changed once a week. The location of the club was super; we came from England by car but used the bus to go to Cannes and Grasse; the bus stop was only 7 minutes' walk, crossing the park; there was a bus every 20 minutes and each journey was only 1 euro 50. We did use the car to go to Monaco, Menton and Villa Ephrussi de Rotschild in Jean Jean Cap Ferrat which is well worth a visit. The grounds around the apartments were well maintained and we were delighted to see so many beautiful flowers at that time of the year, after a hot Summer. Altogether we keep a lovely memory of this charming place.

Room Tip: All rooms should be refurbished/ renovated this Autumn and therefore, all rooms should be equally go...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We are delighted that you had a lovely time at Le Club Mougins – thank you for your review! We’re sorry to read of your disappointment regarding the apartment you were allocated, though: please be aware that we can’t guarantee in advance that it will be possible to fulfil any particular reservation request, as this is dependent on occupancy levels at the resort at the time you are due to check in, and we are sincerely sorry if you were given cause to understand otherwise. We really hope this didn’t mar an otherwise enjoyable stay here, and we’d love to see you again!

Resort manager
Evergreen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I struggled between three and four stars here. On the one hand, we had a wonderful experience for a week and enjoyed our time at Le Club Mougins. On the other hand, it is difficult to compare this place with the nicer resorts in Mexico and the US that we have been because the facilities don't always stack up. In the end, the people merit the higher rating, but be warned of the following faults.

First the good. The people were exceptionally helpful during the entire trip. They were charming and went out of their way to help us with our maps and travel plans. Kudos to the staff. The facility itself is nice enough on the outside, with well kept grounds, a nice grass tennis court, and an adequate pool that is long and deep enough for laps. The restaurant is good but a little pricy. Certainly worth a couple visits during the week. The resort has several activities throughout the week that people may find enjoyable.

However, the interior of our one bedroom place was definitely not up to a four star standard. The furniture is old and worn, and the couch was neither usable as a couch or a fold out. When I sat on it I was essentially sitting on springs. I would not invite another couple to come because the roll out was unusable as a bed. The curtains were kind of raggedy, and the place was just generally run down. The kitchen was minimally provisioned, and there is no oven, just a microwave and cooktop. There is little room between the sink and stovetop, so dish washing can be more difficult then necessary. A fairly well stocked grocery store is less than ten minutes walking distance, so eating in is easy. One exception to the interior being run down was the upstairs bed, which was firm and comfortable. The air conditioning was more than adequate for comfort, and the decks offered a nice view.

A few words about travel. We had a car, and I would probably recommend that due to the ability to get around from Mougins. It is easier to get to Cannes by bus, which picks up on the 600 line about six minutes walk from the resort, and goes down by the train station and within a few minutes of the beaches. Parking in Cannes is a hassle, so the bus is preferable. This is also the way to get from the Cannes train station to the hotel if traveling without a car. We drove to Antibes, and found parking plentiful enough near the old town, albeit a little expensive. For Nice, we drove to a remote lot called Las Planas right off of A8, which is plentiful free parking. From there, you can take the Tram all around Nice for 1.5 Euro each way or 5 Euro all day long. This was much preferable to trying to park in Nice, and much cheaper. The car is much preferable if you are taking the Corniche to Monaco, and is essential to go to the Gorges of the Verdon River, which I highly recommend for a day long trip.

All in all we would go back, but we definitely look forward to the coming refurbishment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review, we are very sorry to read that you found our resort lacking in some areas, however as you have rightly pointed out, refurbishment is under way and all apartments will be brought back up to the same high standard very soon. We are glad to know, however that this appears not to have marred your stay and you have otherwise enjoyed your visit. We hope that we will have another opportunity to host you and impress you with our refurbished premises. Until then we wish you safe travels.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a cracking time at Le Club Mougins. The staff were great right from the start, very accommodating. The apartment was just what we needed and easily coped with 5. An additional bonus was the view we had from the apartment which was superb. The food served in the Bistro was fantastic and we were persuaded to have frogs' legs on Bastille Day. We will be going back in the near future.

Room Tip: Probably need a car to see all of The French Riviera.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
We’re delighted that you had a fantastic time at Le Club Mougins, and that our team helped make your stay here extra special. We’re really pleased that you’re planning to come back here – we can’t wait to see you again!

Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed staying in this luxury 2 bed roomed 2 bathroom and a kitchen and living room apartment. It was very spacious. Very clean. A great end to our travels. The only thing I would say is that you can't check in till 4pm and you have to check out by 10am. I would have preferred the check in to have been later. But we made the most of the facilities and stayed all day! The facilities were very good as well.

• Stayed August 2013
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are sorry to read that the check-in and -out times at our resort did not prove convenient to you, unfortunately, these were set up to give our housekeeping team a fair chance to prepare the rooms for the following guests. We are pleased though that you appear to have otherwise enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reesort Manager
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed for two weeks (our first main holiday on our own for 22 years....pesky kids always tagged along up to now!!)

The only reason for not giving an Excellent rating is that the rooms are in major need of a refurbishment, which is to happen this winter. The staff could not have been more friendly & accommodating. There were three local excursions arranged (Mougins Old Town, Isle St. Margaritte and Grasse including a perfume factory) at "cost price" which gave a good starting point for our own wider exploration of the Cote d' Azur and beyond. We visited Cannes (20 minute bus ride). Monaco/Monte Carlo, Grasse and other local villages all within an hour's drive. Marseille was only a two hour drive away and we also went to "Le Grande Canyon" with its majestic views, breath-taking ravines & incredible lake.

The restaurant Bistro 21 is a little gem run by Chef Cedric & his lovely staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Le Club Mougins, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Many thanks for your review. We do indeed have an extensive renovation and refurbishment programme planned for the end of this year where we will concentrate in upgrading the apartments, reception and restaurant area.
It is lovely to read that you were able to get out and about exploring the delights of the French Riviera.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Resort Manager

Been to Le Club Mougins? Share your experiences!