“Basic hotel in need of renovation” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Le Dauphin
28 av. du General-de-Gaulle, 06500 Menton, France   |
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Menton
Noosa, Australia
“Basic hotel in need of renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This hotel was well located on the seafront, but quite a long walk to the town centre. The hotel is quite dated and in need of renovation. Parking is available in a public carpark adjacent to the hotel, although we had to be careful not to overstay the time limits and receive a parking ticket. We had a seaview room with balcony, the windows were double glazed, so noise was not a problem and the views were beautiful, although we found the beach was stoney and difficult to negotiate. The bathroom was dated but adequate and reasonably clean. The room had fair internet reception and a safe. The breakfast was very poor, with little choice and stale croissants. The reception staff were totally disinterested in providing any kind of customer service to the point of rudeness and appeared not to speak any English. This hotel is a cheap alternative to staying in Monte Carlo itself, but there are better choices in Menton.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Fiesch in Valais, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Single-double room is big enough for one but way not spacious enough for two. Bottom looks unclean. The whole hotel seems old. Bathroom is clean. Road just in front is way too noisy (even with double glass). It is located too far from Menton center to ask such a price during low season. Internet is a joke. Forget it in your room. It only works (slowly) in the reception. Breakfast was pretty good (although expresso was horrible). Minibar has out-of-date products. Sea-side view looks good, especially in the morning.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

This hotel is pretty good located, and we choose a room with seaview and balcony, and that is to recomend. The beach is just in front of the hotel, only a busy street between, but the hotel has installed soundproof windows so no worry. The hotel is in bad need of a renovation, the bathroom is quite worn down and the worst part is the bed - only about 150cm wide for a double...
The room had minibar, AC and balcony which rises the rate so we can recommend it mainly for the location.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I had stayed at this hotel in the 1980's and in 1995 and always found it to be wonderful - great location, good price, nice staff. I stayed there with my mother in Nov. 2005 and had a rather frightening experience. The sliding door in our 3rd floor room facing the ocean would not close properly when we tried to lock up before going to sleep. I woke up around 4am to find a man standing at the end of my bed and thankfully I must have scared him, because off he went through the sliding doors and hopped off our balconey. When I turned on the lights, I discovered my purse was gone. I went downstairs and told the desk clerk what happened - he didn't seem to understand - and walked outside to underneath our room's balconey, where I found my purse, minus my wallet. I went upstairs and made calls to cancel my credit cars while mom packed. Going downstairs at 7am to leavve, we found a new desk clerk, a woman. I told her what had happened and she didn't seem to care, but simply pointed to a 3x5 inch sign behind the desk that said "management not respnsible, etc." I was rather upset and told her I understood that we were partially to blame because the door wouldn't closely right, and she said "oh, but all our doors work."

At that point, I gave up - I have a hard time understanding why a hotel staff would be so uncaring when a crime was committed on their property. I will never go back and would caution others as well. There were not many guests at the hotel when we were there and that seemed to make us a target.
Now, whenever and wherever I travel, I always use the safe in my room, and have asked to change rooms if something isn't working. You really cannot be too careful, since some hotels just don't care.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Uncaring and indifferent staff
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

The breakfasts were poor. When we asked for something other than the bread and croissant, we got one yogurt each. Another day we got one orange each. At 7 euros per person for breakfast, it meant we paid 21 euros for 3 coffees, 3 orange juices and 3 yogurts.
The fitness room was in the basement and the lighting was so poor, you could have injured yourself getting there, never mind using the few pieces of equipment..
During our stay there was a water leak in the ceiling at reception and the bucket placed there was there for a few days before it was rectified.

Stayed July 2004
sheffield england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Le Dauphin is right on the sea front.
Ask for a room with sea view and balcony.
Spotlessly clean throughout.
Excellent rooms with air con and very effective lightproof shutters.
Very helpful staff speak excellent English and many other languages.
Price very reasonable - 105 Euros for a double including breakfast

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2005

Le Dauphin is situated right on the beach in Menton on the French Riviera. There is easy parking outside the hotel or in the small car park next door to the hotel - a rare thing in these parts! The hotel is a little dated, with the rooms and bathrooms requiring a make over in the near future, but they are homely, comfortable and clean. We had a double room overlooking the sea with a lovely balcony and a mini bar in the room. The TV provided CNN for those who like to catch up on the news while away. The rooms are of an average size and the staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is well located for both walking in to the town or exploring the southern coastal regions of France and Italy. We had a lovely walk on the beach before breakfast. The breakfast is of the usual coffee and croissants continental style which was lovely in the sun. The area is generally expensive as this is the South of France but the hotel provides accommodation at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Hotel Le Dauphin? Share your experiences!