“Cute place, good location, need better service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Petit Castel

You added Le Petit Castel to your Saves list
Le Petit Castel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Chemin des Sables, 06160 Juan-les-Pins, Antibes, France   |
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Juan-les-Pins
“Cute place, good location, need better service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The place is cute...close to the beach and in a walking distant to the train. The room is tiny but got everything I need.

Service wasn't that impressive.

If the service is better than this I would give another star.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this lovely charming little hotel! Each and every morning we had a huge continental breakfast under palm trees. You can have your breakfast whenever you like, also very late in the morning... Nice and charming little rooms with the so called solarium on the balkony on the 3rd floor where you have a great view over Nice and the city. The owner is really friendly and very helpful and he gave us some great advise. Beds are very confy but a little short.
Only some minor issues: Little rooms, toilet making dripping noise, unconfortable hair dryer, missing shower screen.
The Hotel is very centrally located between Antibes, Juan les Pins et the Cap d'Antibes. Everything can be reached shortly and the Tourismus Office and a Supermarket were in the same street.
Finally we can recommend it, especially to couples.

The owner announced a renovation in winter time, so next year we would give 5 Points!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed one week at Le Petit Castel.
Its a very small hotel as it only has 16 rooms.

Rooms are basic but clean and tidy. Bathrooms however could do with a makeover as it is very small with a horrible plastic sliding door and do not provide any privacy.

Wifi /TV can be unstable at times but the owners do their best to re-boot and fix whenever a problem arises.

Current owners have only taken over the hotel a few months ago and will begin to renovate the rooms after the current high season so the complaints from other guests regarding the conditions of the rooms should be addressed.

Special mention to owner Nicolas and his wife. Both of them were extremely friendly and couldn’t do enough to make our stay enjoyable.

The shower holder broke on the first night of our stay and he immediately asked if we wanted to change rooms. We did not want to change rooms as we had already unpacked and settled in. He replaced the shower holder the next morning so all was good. Also small things like providing a kettle upon request was taken care of immediately. Nicolas’s wife also did a whole bag of laundry for us too as we couldn’t find the local laundrette. The shirts/tshirts all came back beautifully and expertly folded!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This review is based on the hotel itself, and the manner in which we were treated during our short stay here. I visited this hotel with my friend, we met a total of 2 staff members (the co-owners) and stayed for 1 of our planned 6 nights - I will detail what happened during our stay here, including how we were spoken to when trying to change rooms, and at the end I will list the worst of our stay here at Le Petit Castel.

***Before I continue I'd like to mention the female co-owner of this hotel was extremely charming, accommodating, and hospitable - her personality could not have been nicer.***

-------

Our connecting flight to Nice was delayed so we attempted to contact Le Petit Castel to inform them of this, as they stated on their website and the booking website that any arrivals after a certain time would be charged extra. Our first problem arose while trying to call the hotel - we were unable to contact them on the number on their website, and various numbers we found on the internet through booking websites such as this one. None of these telephone numbers would connect, or were even in service. We ended up calling the booking website who connected our call directly to the hotel's telephone line. We informed the female owner that we would be arriving late - she seemed somewhat unimpressed by this but provided us with her personal mobile number in case we had any further issues.

ARRIVING:

We arrived at Le Petit Castel after an extremely stressful and tiring trip, and were greeted by a set of locked gates. After trying to call the owner's personal mobile number, which would not connect, and again resorting to calling the number on the booking website. During this phonecall, the female owner unlocked the gates and came outside - by how she was dressed she had evidently been in bed prior to this - I assume we had woken her up by making a commotion in the street outside the hotel. I apologised to both her and the man who answered my call, and hung up. I then proceeded to explain that we were the late arrival and she showed us to our room. I told her we'd been trying to call the number she had given us earlier, and she explained that her mobile phone signal drops out of range quite frequently which may have been why.

THE ROOM:

The owner explained that she had given us their largest room since we were staying 6 nights. This room was small in itself and connected to an extremely small bathroom, and was falling apart - the ceiling tiles were chipped and missing corners in places, the room looked generally dilapidated and badly-maintained. We determined we were not happy with this room, and agreed to request another room in the morning. As I stated previously, the bed was not large enough for 2 people so my friend slept on beachmats on the floor (the hotel did not provide extra bedding or towels)

THE NEXT MORNING:

We awoke the next morning and decided to skip breakfast and speak to the managers about the possibility of switching rooms. We went down to reception which was closed and had a note (in French) explaining why - my friend translated this as I don't speak French - at this point I was starting to lose my patience so I remembered that the owner said her partner cleans the rooms, and went to look for him. When we spoke to him he asked us to physically show him what the problem was, as he initially refused to believe us. I pointed out the general state of disrepair in the room, the broken shower rail, the blocked shower plughole, the fact that the bed was too small, and he became extremely rude and defensive, asking what exactly I'd like him to do about the ceiling, and being generally argumentative with me. I was irritated by his attitude and told him I expected not only a different room, but also a higher standard of customer service. He said he would like his customers to be happy, and if we weren't so, he would prefer if we left - however he allowed us to follow as he childishly stomped up the stairs and found us a change of room. This room was altogether nicer and better kept, however after the treatment I had just received I was not inclined to spend another night in his hotel. We went to reception, which for the first time during our stay was actually open and being attended to, and requested a refund for the next 5 nights. The owners complied, and we left suitcase in hand to spend the rest of our holiday at a beautiful 4-star hotel on the beach.

To say the least, we were extremely unhappy with our stay at this hotel and will not be returning to or recommending it. In fact, I am making an active effort to dissuade my friends from ever staying here.

-------

1. The owners/management staff are often unable to be reached due to bad phone signal in the premises - why then give customers a mobile number which most likely will not connect?
2. Reception is manned by the owners who are not always present
3. The ceiling tiles in the room were damaged and made the whole room look bad
4. The wooden floor in the room was dusty - the room itself was not terribly clean
5. The bed in the room was a small double bed and not large enough for 2 people
6. The base of the shower overflowed when the shower ran, and water running down the shower curtain dripped so the whole floor was wet within minutes
7. The shower rail was broken - I actually fixed it without thinking when we were checking out the bathroom.
8. No English TV channels in the room
9. Wifi is turned off after 7pm
10. Reception closes at 7pm, meaning the owners are incontactable even though they apparently live on the premises
11. In reality, reception is closed the majority of the time - the owners think it is acceptable to leave a note in French without an English translation, explaining why they are away
12. The male owner is incredibly rude!!!!!!!

-------

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel! ;)