“Disappointing stay - dreadful service” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel du Portalet
4 rue de Limans, 83400 Hyeres, France   |
Ranked #29 of 33 hotels in Hyeres
London
“Disappointing stay - dreadful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

I read the other review so booked the Portalet. The location is good but the hotel is really noisy which makes it difficult to sleep. When I arrived with my mother we saw that our room was on the corner of the hotel right near the busy square so we asked if we could change rooms. The very cold girl at the desk told us the hotel was full. After a sleepless night I asked the same girl if we could now change rooms as maybe some people had checked out. She said it was impossible as the hotel was completely full. She was very forceful with her negative response. She said that the rooms at the back were just as noisy and that if we left we wouldn't find another room in Hyere as the town was full. I had my doubts about the girls response as the hotel hadn't seemed all that busy so I asked if I could speak to the manager. The girl said that she was the manager. We had already paid in full so decided to stick it out. My mother and I stayed out of the way of the hotel staff for the remainder of our stay. The hotel offers a very reasonable breakfast which we ate on the first day but after our experience of the staff member we decided to eat else where. When we finally checked-out a different girl served us. She was much more amicable and we asked her if the hotel had been full whilst we were there as there didn't seem to be many guests. She said that it had been only half full. We told her what the other girl had said and were then informed that the other girl was not the manager, but a receptionist and that she could and should have moved us. My mother and I could not understand why the receptionist had been so unreasonable. It marred the holiday and I would not wish the experience on anyone. The rooms are clean and pleasant but noisy and the service stinks!

• Liked — location - in the old town but the windows need proper sound proofing
  • Disliked — The receptionist
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2007

What a pleasant surprise!
This hotel is ideally situated on the edge of the medieval part of Hyeres for Cafes, restaurants and shops. The hotel has been recently renovated. Staff were very pleasant and attentive. The room was pleasant. The en suite had just been renovated (no shaver point though), new white towels. Room tidy, wall mounted T.V. The bed linen very clean and crisp.
Breakfast selection was very good with fresh produce.
I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel du Portalet? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel du Portalet

Address: 4 rue de Limans, 83400 Hyeres, France
Location: France > Provence > French Riviera - Cote d'Azur > Hyeres
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Room Service
Ranked #29 of 33 hotels in Hyeres
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, HostelWorld, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hotel du Portalet reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Du Portalet Hotel
Du Portalet Hyères

If you own or manage Hotel du Portalet, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.