“Great day out” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 Attractions in Frejus
London, United Kingdom
“Great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Extreamly hot day but able to drive round in the car - cool. Just get out to look at the animals as you wish

Visited August 2012

Sarasota, Florida
31 attraction reviews
“Sad little place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I think I would have just donated to help the animals live better than to have actually toured the zoo. There was a sign saying that they are in the process of moving which I hope is true. Around éà enclosures; mostly pairs of animals, little shade, just terribly dry and sad.

Visited August 2012
3 attraction reviews
“It's not London Zoo, it's a 40 year old attraction that's showing its age. Worth a visit with small kids though.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you've got pre-school kids and you're staying in and around Frejus / St-Rafael then the zoo is probably worth a visit to pass an hour or so. However I wouldn't make a special trip, or go with older kids. Under 3's go free, otherwise 3-9 year olds are EUR10, adults EUR14,50. You're unlikely to stay more than 2 hours.

Now, this is no London Zoo. It's set up for you to be able to drive around, which you will. We got out to walk around but it was far too hot so we got back into the air conditioned hire car very quickly. There are loads and loads of goats, 1 zebra, 1 elephant, 1 tiger, a lion and a couple of lionesses, a couple of monkey islands surrounded by murky water features in which the turtles hide, a hippo. We didn't sample the snack bar or restaurant but they looked pretty basic and the staff boooooooooooored. There's little information on the animals and what is there is all in French and often sun-bleached. I doubt the zoo authorities have a great remit for animal conservation but the animals looked healthy enough if a little bored. I don't think the animal conditions are poor, but they're not great either.

In summary, worth a visit if you've small kids who've never seen an elephant. If you've enjoyed other zoos or similar attractions you'll be disappointed so I wouldn't bother.

Visited June 2012
Villefranche-sur-Mer, France
“GO AT YOUR OWN RISK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The first thing I noticed about the conditions of the animals was the look of depression smeared across their faces. It was disgusting to look at the surroundings of the animals; the cages were covered in dirt and the hot sun beat down on the enclosure making them feel uncomfortable. The most disturbing part of the zoo was the alpaca enclosure. One of the alpacas had a wound -- it was not red with blood -- all you could you see were the flies covering the wound. Another disgrace that came to my attention was the flamingos. There was absolutely no water in the tank where they drink. The flamingos were a pasty, almost white color from lack of water. Yet another animal I felt needed more attention was the elephant. It looked very lonely. Elephants are beautiful creatures that need love to survive and companions. Another animal I would like to discuss are the monkeys. They were trapped on an island with little play space and could not escape. One thing that really freaked me out is that we were giving the animals "animal crackers" which contained animal fat and was wrong on so many levels.These beautiful creatures deserve more than this and should never ever have to go through this ........... ever. It was also very expensive to see such a horror - 15 euros each!

Visited July 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Shocking and sad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We visited two days ago,on first arrival my initial impression was that it was not a typical zoo and was more like a wildlife park spread over a number of acres. My two kids were hungry so we thought we'd start by finding them food. Unfortunately any of the so called restaurants were not looking like one would find anything appetising, so we carried on walking as there was a snack bar further along. At this point we were begining to pass some birds, which looked ok, but the sheep, lamb and goats all looked under nourished were bleating for attention to see if anyone would feed them and all their coats looked like they had mange and all their bones were protruding. The ilama and the alpaca surprisingly looked ok. The elephant was confined in a dirty space with no visible running water and the heat was near unbearable. The ducks were swimming in dirty feather invested pools. The monkeys were screaming continuously. All the animals looked unhealthy, the entire place was dirty and when we finally decided that we'd get a snack for my daugter it was pretty much inedible. I wish I had looked at the reviews on here before I went there, but it is so well marketed on all the tourist information leaflets I couldn't believe the french authorities for the protection of cruelty to animals allows this place to exist.

Visited July 2012