“10 metres from the sea, but fresh fish???” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“10 metres from the sea, but fresh fish???”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

20th July 2013 - I have just experienced one of the worst meals I have ever eaten.

Following reviews on Tripadviser and the Michelin Guide we booked a table for Le Merou Ardent, and sadly, now I so wish I hadn't.

If your idea of a great meal out is tinned tuna mayonnaise (seriously) and overcooked (or was it frozen?) fish then this is the place for you.

Perhaps if you just went for the moules frites then you wont be disappointed, but for everything else we ate, it was style over content.

So what did we eat tonight? A starter of tuna cannelloni was something I wouldn't even make for myself at home - let alone serve it to paying customers. Cold tuna mayo, wrapped in a cold sheet of pasta. Served with the obligatory, superfluous, squiggle of reduced balsamic and the just-plain-weird ginger squirty cream. ?!?. Fish soup, which is usually a mainstay of these restaurants was incredibly sludgey. A poor imitation of the amazing soups we have eaten over the years.

So, really not looking forward to the main courses, our expectations were not dashed. Overcooked merlan and lieu noir were almost inedible. Coupled with curry sauce and an very lemony Hollandaise-esque sauce, I am still feeling queasy a few hours after the event.

Pudding was a tarte maison (abricot). I would be amazed if this had anything to with the 'maison'. If it did, it should be condemned. I have tasted much better from the supermarkets.

I know that this restaurant will be busy all summer as it is in a very popular place, especially when the night market is on. But anyone reading this, please do not waste your money. Go some where else. Anywhere else.

Oh, and to top it off they overcharged. I suspect they did it deliberately, as there was no apology just murmuring, shuffling off, then the presentation of the new bill....

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Family friendly and Fantastic food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I went here purely on the reviews on trip advisor. I booked first to check if it was ok to bring my children 2 and 4 and it was fine. I do try to attempt to speak absolutely basic French but there was little need because they speak just enough English to get by. The food was great , I love seafood and cook a lot myself but this was lovely . The portions were big and beautifully presented. We were welcomed as a family and felt comfortable throughout. Total bill for 4 adults and 2 children was in the region of €80 including wine. I tried to go again on the Friday book booked up so went l entree DES artistes in old frejus , this was great read my review .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Warwickshire
“Innovative Chef producing Great food in St Raphael / Frejus Plage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is still the best fish / French cusine restaurant, now with a makeover its far more elegant & comfortable. We have been eaten here for years and although we always found it to have the some of best quality food in the area the decoration was always old fashioned, Now with a wonderful transformation its a first class family owned restaurant, It has a really great chef that produces great Innovative food and the front of house is run superbly by the wife and daughter of the chef, their always very helpful. The restaurant has always been popular with locals because of the food. Its also great value for money for a such great quality food. Its now fuller than ever so booking is advisable.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Moscow, Russia
“Went there twice - wonderful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

The service is very good - quick and unobtrusive. The food is great - you can choose from Formula menu (entree + main course + dessert) or a la carte. Both are very good.
The atmosphere is cosy and friendly. I noticed that many French people go there - it's a good sign!
The moules in wine are very-very good, the fish soup a la bouillabaisse is tasty and being served with different fish on the plate. The portions are great.
It's better to book the table in advance because after 7.30pm there are lots of people but the restaurant is not big.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Menlo Park, California
“Great Find! Thank you TripAdvisor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Taking a leisurely drive on a winter's day from Antibes to St Tropez and wanted a nice place for lunch. TripAdvisor recommended this restaurant and didn't disappoint. Prompt friendly service. Delicious well-priced food. Terrific!

• Visited February 2012