“Special track to the top all worthwhile” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Eze
Christchurch, New Zealand
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Special track to the top all worthwhile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I know it is rugged and a bit of a sweat but this is our second time in four years and the scenery on route and splendour at the top make the hike up definitely worthwhile. Yes be prepared with sturdy footwear and a water bottle. We are not young (mid sixty plus a bit) and we went up in 50-60minutes, came down in just over 40 minutes. Take care, pause often and enjoy.

Birmingham, England
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Think Twice!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We recently went to Eze, taking the bus from Nice right up to the village, and spent a lovely couple of hours looking at the shops and exotic garden, and of course the spectacular views. We then saw a sign for this pathway down to Eze sur Mer saying it would take 40 minutes, and so, as the next bus from the village was a while away, and being pretty fit people we decided we'd give it a go! We now think that the sign should warn people how difficult the walk is, how fit you should be, what shoes to wear, age restrictions, or were we just being naive, because it was one of the worst walks we've done, and frankly I'd lost the will to live about three-quarters of the way down!
We were wearing open toed walking sandals, which were ok, but you really need at least proper trainers, as the ground is steep, rocky, with loose shale( yes there are steps occasionally but not for the majority of the walk), and we spent the entire time having to look down to make sure we didn't trip over or slip (and we did both!). A lot of the time the walk was enclosed by trees, which was good from a not getting sunburned point of view, but meant we wouldn't say the views were anything special, except nearer the bottom of the hill - believe me, nothing beats the views from the village anyway!
So all in all a very disappointing 40 minute struggle, and I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, although others seem to have a different take on it- we aren't afraid of walking, we had a glorious two and a half hour coastal walk from Nice to Villefranche, but this was a hill too far!
On the plus side, if we hadn't have done it we wouldn't have found the fantastic juice/salad bar called La Bananeraie,on the main road opposite the train station- went in for a restorative drink and stayed three hours!!(see seperate review!).

Worthing
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Get Ready to Take On The World...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Well perhaps not quite the world, as it's an easy thirty-minute descent over a rocky path. Inspiring views on route and short wooded stretches as respite from the sun [in the summer]. perhaps the best thing about the walk is that you are free of the Village tourist scene within the first couple of minutes. We met a total of three people. Once down and on the main road at Eze, turn right and find the juice bar [about 150m on just past the bus-stop]. A blissful, tranquil garden and amazing fresh fruit blends! [If you are going the other way [up] ignore the ramparts until you've eaten something at La Gascogne - across the main road. It lacks any sort of romance to look at it, but the food is half the price and twice as good as anything on the hill - apart perhaps from the Michelin star restaurants, in which case, why have you walked?]

New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Go early”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I took the 8.45am bus from Pl Garibaldi in Nice and started walking up the Nietschke path about 9.15. It was beautiful, a real change from the urban 'hustle&bustle' of Nice. Easy to find (cross the road from Eze Gare, turn right and look for the sign) and follow, but as other reviewers say, steep and rocky. I was glad I had started erly in the day, and had water. This is a hard walk, not suitable for those with mobility issues of any sort (with sore knees or hips - forget it), with lots of steps and loose gravel. It took me 50 mins up and 30 down, with photo and shade stops. As I see it there are two great advantages of walking up to Eze - you truly appreciate the elevation of that lovely village, and by traveling at sea level your transport options from Nice are very flexible. Bus 100 has regular trips each way, and I guess the train is also an option. Also, I could then visit Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild on the way home by getting off Bus 100 Pont St Jean, it's about 15 mins walk to the Villa or change to bus 81. In summary, the Neitschke path is a great option for active people.

New York City, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Dress For Sweat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Wow, this was hard. I'm in pretty good shape, but this was probably the most difficult physical activity I've yet done. Granted, I'm not a seasoned hiker or stair-climber. This kicked my butt. I felt pretty proud when I got to the top, but I ended up skipping a walk around the medieval town to return to my hotel room for a nap! Go veeeery early to avoid the heat. It's absolutely beautiful, when you can see the view through the sweat covering your eyes. Be in good shape with absolutely no heart or leg conditions.