“Have never been treated more poorly” 1 of 5 stars

Chateau de la Chevre d'Or
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue du Barri, 06360 Eze, France   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Eze
Free Union, Virginia
“Have never been treated more poorly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

The view at the Golden Goat is absolutely amazing. You truly can see the lights of Monaco on the left and those of St. Tropez on the right. Absolutely stunning. The hotel is in an unique location perched on the edge of a cliff in a medieval village.

Unfortunately the decor of the room (#2) did not match the beauty of the surroundings. If everything didn't match I would have thought a color blind person had done the color scheme. Everything was magenta, bubblegum pink and ultra modern. This turned out to be the least of our concerns.

When we checked in we asked whether we could make reservations for dinner that night. We were told that the restaurant was full which I thought was tacky for a 5* establishment to book their restaurant full enough that those staying with them couldn't eat there. But it was no big deal and we were told that we could eat at the hotel's traditional French grill. Around dinner time I went up to the desk to ask where the grill was and was told that they were closed that day and the person who checked us in had made a mistake. At this point I was getting a bit frustrated and asked what our dining options were outside of the hotel. I was told that if we wanted anything 'worth eating' we had to drive back to Nice (~30 minute drive).

But wait...it gets better. At this point I went back to my room to discuss with my husband whether we wanted to drive a half an hour in the dark on unfamiliar roads to get something to eat. When I walked in it sounded like a very loud classical radio station was on. It turned out that the bar was over our room with a piano directly over the bed. Trying to make the best of the situation my husband and I decided to go upstairs and sit in the bar to enjoy the music and have a drink. When we got to the door a staff member was standing outside and informed me that only those that are eating at the restaurant can go inside the bar. I called the front desk and was told that the piano would be playing until two in the morning.

I'm not one to complain but this was ridiculous. For over 800 euros a night this was completely unacceptable. I went to the desk and explained the frustration of the situation. They said they would do their best to have the piano end early.

We ended up going down to the bottom of the hill and having a fantastic local meal at the Cheval Blache that was definitely 'worth eating'. The restaurant staff was kind enough to let us stay a little late after we finished our meal so that we could avoid returning to the noise in our room. When we came back to the hotel a little after 11pm our room was still bubblegum pink but thankfully quiet.

• Liked — The stunning view
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Monkton, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

When you spend $900 a night for a hotel room, you expect everything to be wonderful, and I’m pleased to say that it was. We spent 3 nights at the Chateau de la Chèvre d’Or at the end of April. This was my second stay at the hotel (my first having been not long after 9/11). We were greeted warmly by the reception desk and the concierge. Our room, # 15, was simply lovely. It was on the Rue de Bari just before the entrance to the hotel. We had a private staircase, a large closet area, a huge bedroom/living area with a fireplace, and an enclosed sunroom with a clear view to the Mediterranean, Cap Ferrat to the west and the hills behind Monte Carlo to the east. The marble bathroom was wonderful with a separate stall shower and Jacuzzi tub. My only complaint was that the chairs in the room, although in keeping with the décor, were not particularly comfortable.

Our three night package included a lunch on the terrace, a dinner in the gourmet restaurant and a wine tasting. The lunch on the terrace was quite good and the service was excellent. I was pleased to see that Felix the black and white cat, was still in residence on the terrace and seemed to welcome me back after all these years.

The dinner in the gourmet restaurant was a once in a lifetime experience. When we walked over to the lobby to go to dinner, we were asked by the man who was to escort us to dinner whether we wanted to have a cocktail in the bar since they were running a bit late in the dining room. While I did not feel pressured to have a cocktail, it was slightly uncomfortable to be kept waiting when we had the earliest reservation. However, I was able to occupy myself with the internet while waiting. The dining room is spectacular with an incredible view of the coast, and we were seated at a window table with a beautiful view of the Mediterranean. We had been told that our wine tasting would take place during the dinner, and I feared that we would somehow be shortchanged. Once again, we were pleasantly surprised. We were served at least one glass of a different wine with each course of the meal, and there were many courses! The wines were all of high quality; some were local and some from other regions of France. The courses consisted of extremely small portions of very creative and interesting food. Despite the small size of the portions, we were quite stuffed by the end of the meal. The service was exceptionally good, formal but not stuffy and reminded me of “the good old days” on Cunard Line in the 1950’s. The sommelier went out of his way to explain all of the wines to us which made the evening even more enjoyable.

The price of the meal with wine is undetermined since it was buried inside the $2,700 cost of our three night package, but it was no doubt very expensive. This was a special treat for us, and we hope to return to Èze someday soon. My overall impression is that the hotel staff is more friendly and accommodating than they were in the past.

If you want to eat nearby the hotel, try the Auberge du Cheval Blanc in Èze for a fun and reasonably priced dinner.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The lack of a comfortable chair
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

Eze, with its mediaeval village and panoramic views is an incredible spot, and if you stay there, the Chevre d'Or is the place to stay. Definitely the best situated of the luxury hotels, (Chateau Eza is higher up, and the view is limited to one side, although still amazing) the hotel is part of the village - rooms are located through doorways and alcoves and you need to walk the village streets to get to many of them. Bring your walking shoes - the cobbled streets and stairs are not suited to heels! It is important to note that all the rooms are different - and some substantially better than others in terms of location, privacy, size, decor and view. It may be worthwhile to check in early to have a choice of rooms. We stayed in a superior room with a lovely terrace. We couldn't fault the room although there were many, many stairs to climb which might not suit everyone. It was clean, and a lot of thought had gone into making sure there was every amenity. Service at the hotel was good overall, with extremely obliging staff, but it seems as if there are some issues. On one of the days, housekeeping forgot to make up our room, until we called to remind them. The same happened to our friends in another room. Breakfast, which is not included in the room rate, is of excellent quality, but given that it is a set price, they didn't seem keen to give you anything more than you asked for! (ask for everything they mention as options to make the most of the offer) We ate at the restaurant on one night, and it was fine, although we couldn't rave. As with many Michelin starred establishments, it has a very limited menu that doesn't accommodate fussy eaters or people with dietary requirements of any type, although the chef was accommodating to the non-shellfish eaters. Some of the flavours just didn't work for us, and the tiny main courses were sharply contrasted with desserts which comprised 2 or 3 plates each! Also, ensure you sit in the downstairs room with the panoramic view - we sat upstairs and the tables do not all face the window which definitely would enhance the experience. In summary, the Chevre d'Or is an amazing hotel - perhaps for a special occasion. Eze is not well situated to tour the Cote d'Azur, mainly because of its hilltop location and the need to travel windy and steep roads to get there. A day out in Monaco is doable, but otherwise it's a trek. One could however happily spend 2 or 3 days relaxing in this hotel and in the village. Late spring to early autumn when it's warm is probably best too, as the terrace is open and one can use the swimming pools and gardens and make the most of the hotel facilities. But the town is likely to be swarming with tourists. I am extremely glad to have had the experience of staying in Eze and at the Chevre d'Or, but am unlikely to go back.

Stayed March 2008
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

We spent 3 nights at the Chateau knowing that it is expensive but rated highly. The setting is the best I have ever seen, but that had nothing to do with the hotel. The view of the sea and village are wonderful. We stayed in a suite. Expensive, but we knew that when booking, room number 1. The suite has 6 rooms with cozy furnishings and a fabulous hot tub. We were greated with a huge fruit basket and champagne, a very nice touch. The problems began with the shower. It did not drain and ran into the bathroom every time we used it. Even after notifying the hotel, nothing was done to repair or compensate for the daily, or twice daily, mess. The toilet area was a modified closet, no exaggeration. I could barely fit and I could not stand, at 6 feet 4 inches tall. The toilet seat was plastic and not fitted properly. The last night, no one replaces out towels so it was skimpy drying off the last morning for our 5am departure.
The staff was terrific. Very friendly and very accommodating. We had dinner in the fine restaurant. It was a fortune. It was also classless that they pretty much insisted that we stop in the bar for a 30 euro drink, even though we were the first seating of the day.The dinner, for 2, was around 700 euro with one bottle of modest wine and no other drinks but water with gas. It was the tasting menu. That was also no surprise but in no way did it impress either of us to that extent. In fact, others at 2 different tables had complained and another table left prematurely, and unhappy. It was such that the Chef himself came out to talk with one women, who apparently was someone important or well known, although not to us. She made quite a fuss as they stood in the dining room, of about 14 tables, and complained to the Chef for well over 30 minutes. I was pretty surprised and even made a comment to the Relas and Chateau people by letter. They said that it was nice of me to comment but the hotel is not under their management. I never heard anything more and that was almost 3 months ago. I do not recomment the hotel as a place to stay or eat. I probably would not have listened to someone if I had read this before so do what you wish but you will thank me later if you stay there, eat there, and pay for it yourself. I doubt that it was like this for very long but it certain was well below my expectations. Chicago, Illinois, USA

• Liked — The natural views and vistas
  • Disliked — The gouging of price
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

It only took us about 10 minutes after we checked in to decide that we weren't leaving until we checked out. Our 3 nights at this fabulous hotel was our only time on the Cote d'Azur but we knew that nothing else that we could see could be any more beautiful than this. Someone who had stayed here had advised us to take full advantage of what this hotel has to offer and they were so, so right. We could barely tear ourselves away to even explore the rest of Eze village (spent about 1/2 hr doing this). We booked the à la carte package plus 1 night and upgraded to a balcony room. The amount we spent is indecent but this was for a milestone birthday and a once in a lifetime experience (unless we win the lottery). The place is breathtaking, terraced into the side of the mountain with the most unbelievable views of the Mediterranean Sea, Cap Ferrat and on down the coast. There are gorgeous statues and fountains everywhere. The service is wonderful. Let yourself be pampered. We spent 1 evening and 2 full days there. (We had to leave at 4 am for our flight.) In between meals we spent our time relaxing by the pool, on our balcony and in our jacuzzi tub, getting lost numerous times in their maze of medieval steps as we went from one place to another. We couldn't have been more pleased with our room, No. 37. It had a sitting room with a glass door leading to our balcony, a bedroom with a window and a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, a shower with semicircular glass doors and 2 windows. All windows had the same unbelievable, direct sea view. We were 1 level above the terrace restaurant and 2 levels above the pool. Breakfast was a delicious buffet at their Les Ramparts terrace restaurant which was included in our package. One lunch was included in our package and we decided to have it at Les Ramparts. It was a lovely 4 course meal. The other lunch we had at their Le Cafe du Jardin restaurant which is off the pool and has lighter fare. Our package included a dinner at their gastronomic restaurant. The service there is beyond compare. We loved many of the dishes but a number of them were a bit "unusual" for our taste. We had one dinner at their more casual and lower priced Le Grill and we enjoyed it very much. Our last night we had room service on our balcony, watching the lights twinkling in the distance for as long as we could. We didn't want our stay at this magical place to end.

• Liked — breathtaking views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband and I treated ourselves to a romantic weekend getaway at the Chateau de la Chevre D'Or for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I don't think I can describe in words what a wonderful time we had. The hotel and its grounds are breathtakingly beautiful. The view from our room was incredible! We were in room #7, which had a small balcony and looked right out to the "Golden Goat" and the beautiful blue Mediterranean.

The service the whole weekend was superb! The staff was attentive and extremely curteous.

We also had dinner at the Chateau's restaurant. Lovely! The food was creative and outstanding! The service was second-to-none. And the view was incredible.

On our last morning, we decided to explore the grounds...down to the differnent levels of the hotel. I'm not sure many people do, but if you decide to stay there, and want some R&R, go down the hill. We also explored Eze, walking up to the Exotic Gardens. Truly beautiful.
The whole weekend was amazing.

My only complaint (and I should have told the staff, but I was having such a great time, I forgot!) was that our shower drain was clogged, so my feet were "swimming" for the length of my shower.

The whole weekend

• Liked — The service, the room, the view....everything
  • Disliked — Perfection!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I toured this hotel, had drinks on the terrace, and shared expensive champagne inside the restaurant with a friend. One could say that this place is simply divine! Everything we imbibed in here was amazing. And like the other review, I concur - it was very pricey. I saw it as a once in a lifetime experience. It is a place which is hard to get around in - DON'T bring a lot of luggage or you will regret having to carry it. We passed many on the way to check in walking up steep steps for 15 minutes with their luggage in tow. Anyway, a GREAT place - you should see it at least once in your life!

Stayed January 2007

Been to Chateau de la Chevre d'Or? Share your experiences!