“A Magical, Incredible Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Chateau de la Chevre d'Or
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue du Barri, 06360 Eze, France   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Eze
Wilmington, MA
“A Magical, Incredible Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband and I treated ourselves to a romantic weekend getaway at the Chateau de la Chevre D'Or for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I don't think I can describe in words what a wonderful time we had. The hotel and its grounds are breathtakingly beautiful. The view from our room was incredible! We were in room #7, which had a small balcony and looked right out to the "Golden Goat" and the beautiful blue Mediterranean.

The service the whole weekend was superb! The staff was attentive and extremely curteous.

We also had dinner at the Chateau's restaurant. Lovely! The food was creative and outstanding! The service was second-to-none. And the view was incredible.

On our last morning, we decided to explore the grounds...down to the differnent levels of the hotel. I'm not sure many people do, but if you decide to stay there, and want some R&R, go down the hill. We also explored Eze, walking up to the Exotic Gardens. Truly beautiful.
The whole weekend was amazing.

My only complaint (and I should have told the staff, but I was having such a great time, I forgot!) was that our shower drain was clogged, so my feet were "swimming" for the length of my shower.

The whole weekend

• Liked — The service, the room, the view....everything
  • Disliked — Perfection!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I toured this hotel, had drinks on the terrace, and shared expensive champagne inside the restaurant with a friend. One could say that this place is simply divine! Everything we imbibed in here was amazing. And like the other review, I concur - it was very pricey. I saw it as a once in a lifetime experience. It is a place which is hard to get around in - DON'T bring a lot of luggage or you will regret having to carry it. We passed many on the way to check in walking up steep steps for 15 minutes with their luggage in tow. Anyway, a GREAT place - you should see it at least once in your life!

Stayed January 2007
memphis, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

lovely place and great view, but rooms overpriced. Dinner was expensive and disappointing. Would only spend a night or two at most.

Stayed May 2006
ny, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

This is a truly magical place! Everything from the food to the location to the breathtaking views was sheer perfection. Although the prices are astronomical, my husband and I both agreed that it was well worth every penny to experience such luxurious living in a private setting. Our room was a junior suite and was a secluded paradise with its own private patio overlooking the mediterannean sea. The room was beautifully appointed and had the most spectacular views imaginable.

Dinner at the Chevre d'or was a not unlike a theatrical production. We chose to follow the tasting menu and we were not disappointed. Each course was a creative spectacle that was equally delicious. The cost for dinner was ludicrous, but for a special occassion experience it was worth it. Dinner at Chateau Eza was also wonderful.

Stayed July 2007
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for the last two nights of our honeymoon. It was the perfect ending to our trip. Eze is a charming medieval village. From start to finish the staff went beyond expectations, even delivering a complimentary bottle of champagne to our room. We booked a standard room but were upgraded to medium. Our room was on two floors, the bathroom was the entire first floor and the bedroom upstairs. The views from both were magical, overlooking the mountainside as well as the ocean. The bed was heavenly. The pool has incredible views. We ate in the grill room but not the gastromic restaurant. The grill room atmosphere was more relaxed and casual and the food was excellent. We had lunch both days at the cafe terrace and drinks on the terrace. Very expensive but worth it for just drinks. Would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway, it made for a once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon experience.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

We arrived on my husbands birthday. The hotel is situated in the medievel village of Eze. It has been designed in such a way that you do not know where the hotel rooms end and the genuine village begins. We had a mountain view room which was absolutely fine - big open views across the mountain and a sea view if you popped your head out! We weren't sure what to do about dinner, we had read wonderful reviews about the food but also that the prices were as stunning as the food. We therefore didn't book in advance as warned by the hotel. We asked to see the menu and we were taken to the restaurant. The main restaurant has floor to ceiling views of the bay, Villefranche and St Jean Cap Ferret, because we hadn't booked we were informed we would have to sit in the room upstairs. This has one large window with 2 tables on the front line with the view and about 6 - 8 other tables. We looked at the prices and the way the menu is constructed it leads you to the tasting menu (lots more courses for a slightly higher price). This was 180 euros each! I felt if we were paying this much I wanted a view. After a little negotiation they agreed we could have a front table. We then went for a pleasant walk in the Jardin Exotique (great views and lots of cacti) and around the village. We started to walk back down the hill and stumbled upon Chateau Eza. I had read a review stating someone wasn't too impressed with this place and the Chevre was a lot better but we thought we would pop in for a drink. They have a little terrace which catches the late evening sun, we had pink champagne and gorgeous little canapes. The dining terrace was directly underneath us so would also have the sun. We went back to the Chevre for dinner. The table was lovely - restaurant a little formal and quiet but fab views. We asked the female wine waiter if we could do a wine pairing (this took a while to establish as she didn't speak english - our fault not hers) We had pleasant food, very artistically presented with a drizzle of this and a drizzle of that, the wine pairing started off well but we had 2 very different mushroom courses and were given exactly the same wine for both (puligny montrachet) when clearly the second dish needed a red. My big disappointment was with the cheese - I had read how wonderful this course was. Our server was an Andy Murray (tennis player) lookalike - he just about managed to tell us what the cheeses were if we specifically asked but there was no interest there, no description. We once ate in Paris at the old Androuet restaurant and to hear the waiter describe the cheese was an experience in itself. Also more recently at Winteringham Fields we had a similar experience. Our bill came to about £400 and for that you expect the ultimate. We just wanted a little more atmosphere and a little more passion from the staff.
The next morning we decided to have breakfast on the terrace. There are 2 choices, the continental at 28 euros and the full at 40 euros. The location of the terrace is superb although we were slightly unlucky as it was a little cool. I had the continental- a bread basket containing about 4-5 different croissant, pain, cake etc, a little ramekin of fresh fruit, juice and coffee. My husband had the full - he was able to go to the buffet - cereals, yoghurts, tired looking fruit and also he was asked if he would like eggs cooked to order - he had an omelette. I would say this was a real rip-off, there was absolutely nothing exciting or interesting there and we had hardly started eating before the bill was presented. We then went to sit on the terraces and use the jacuzzi/sauna. This is fantastic - the views are tremendous. Unfortunately it started to rain - my husband didn't care - he stayed in the jacuzzi but me and my blow dried hair had to retire to the bar as this was the only place under cover. The temperature dropped so I had to put on one of the hotels bath robes to keep me warm (the bar is like a room in a castle - stone walls, suit of armour etc) the windows were open, then the fog rolled in - it was a real pea souper and was moving really fast. I was the only one in the bar and it felt really bizarre. After a hour or so it cleared but it was time for us to check out.
My advice - subject to good weather conditions - would be to stay at the Chevre for the viewsand terraces but book an early dinner (7-7.30pm) at Chateau Eza on the outside terrace to catch the lovely sunset without the horrendous bills.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the quality and service didn't match the price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

Wonderful wonderful wonderful. If you want pure relaxation, a romatic get away and pure luxury then this is the place to go!!

The service and staff are so helpful you cannot fault a single thing. The room was beautiful, perfectly appointed and you could fall into the most comfortable beds and stay there all day if the views and scenery were not so beautiful

The food was wonderful and the resteraunt was absolutely perfect. We stayed for the gastronomic weekend, and every dish presented was beautiful and tempted every taste bud you could find. The cheese course was the best I have had, and provided to you in the order that it should be eaten with an explanation of the cheese,where it comes from and the nature of its taste. Pure perfection all round.

The views on the terrace before you go to eat are just breathtaking and moved me to tears, you have a drink and they provide complimentary hors d"oeuvres to tempt your taste buds for the taste extrvaganza in the resteraunt to follow!! When we were there, there was a piano player and singer that played soft and relaxing music to aid your apprecition of the pure beauty of this hotel and the spectacular views

There is nothing I can fault on this hotel, and I promise any potential visitor that you will not be disappointed. The only downside is that the pool is rather small, but the gardens are well appointed and expertly manicured to perfection. Well worth a visit !!

• Liked — Everything was perfect
  • Disliked — Room was located on small steps that led to reception but its part of the nature of the chateau and not a criticism
  • Tips/Secrets — Just go you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Chateau de la Chevre d'Or? Share your experiences!