“Great food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We are not big on fixed menus, but our concierge recommended this restaurant. The service was a little slow like in the majority of the restaurants that we have experienced in the South of France so it was not a surprise. The food was very good and the staff was very friendly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
Ipswich
“Always Worth a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a very good, long-estabished restaurant. It is always busy and serves top-quality French food. My colleague and I both had wonderful fish soup followed by Estouffade of beef with the best mashed potato I have every eaten in my life. Book and go!

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Terribly rude and disrespectful. Ruined our evening.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We visited restaurants every day for lunch and dinner over the last 7 days while we were in Cannes. This restaurant was appalling.

We were greeted by a middle-aged lady who was well dressed with her hair up. I guessed she was the proprietor. No smile. She looked bitter and not best pleased to see us. We are 32 and 28, just got engaged the day before. My fiance was wearing a beautiful dress, and I was wearing jeans, and a blazer. We really felt like we were doing her a favor by eating in her restaurant. We chose this venue because at the time it was one of the busiest in its road - about 8.30pm last Sunday night. How bad could it be..

Soon after sitting down we ordered some still mineral water and food from the menus. They brought us bread. My fiance asked for an extra plate and the lady asked, quite abruptly, "Why?". "For the bread" my fiance replied. "Oh and may I have some balsamic vinegar please?" the lady just turned her back and walked off, no acknowledgement, no grunt, nod or any visible sign that she heard my fiance or understood. We didn't get the plate and we didn't get the balsamic. We asked 3 more times to staff who passed and we still didn't get it.

The rest of the service was pretty similar in style. The food was okay but I wouldn't eat there again even if the service was any better.

We didn't feel comfortable staying for desert. We ordered the bill and asked to pay by card. Having given the lady my card and input my PIN into the machine she passed me, moments later she turned her back and walked off. I found a printed receipt on the table. I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the card and perhaps she went to get another machine. Reading more detail on the receipt (printed in French) I reduced that the transaction went through.

This restaurant left us with a very bitter taste in our mouth for the appalling manners of the proprietor and her staff - made up of a younger lady who perhaps was her daughter and a waiter who seemed too busy to be able to offer any level of attention.

I will never eat in this establishment again. It is the only restaurant I recommend not eating at of all the venues I visited.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
los angeles
“Good food, very slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The French believe a meal should be an event, taken slowly and deliberately. That's the Mere Besson method. That's fine if you're in the mood for it, but if you're there on business and want to get to bed, you might consider other options.

Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We walked in on a warm evening and ate outside. It was full of locals, which is always a good sign. I had a Salad Nicoise followed by the 'Filet de boeuf du chef' which was a fantastic cut of beef in mustard sauce accompagnied by freshly made pasta. Absolutely great. Nice choice of traditional French desserts too. Service is efficient and relaxed although a tad too serious (but that's normal in France). Only slight negative thing is music from the nightclub across the (pedestrianised) street. We paid EUR 90 for 2 with a half bottle of red Bandol - great value compared to the tourist traps on the Croisette.