“OK but not amazing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 135 Hotels in Cannes
London, United Kingdom
“OK but not amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here on a business trip and it was distinctively average. The location is not far to walk to the Croisette however as a female solo traveller, walking back at night alone was a bit scary as some streets nearby felt a bit intimidating. Staff were friendly and helpful, I didn't bother with breakfast as the breakfast area was not particularly inviting or welcoming.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

Travelled with Newmarket Holidays. Hotel pretty good with a biggish room. Bed was huge. Very quiet with no noise whatsoever. An easy 5 minute walk into the centre. Self service breakfast included a basic fry up which was always a little cold. Wi-Fi worked well and free.

Room Tip: High floor very quiet
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2014
Dear David G,

Many thanks for this review and your compliments concerning the rooms and the location. It was a pleasure reading and sharing it with my staff.

Hope to welcome you again,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

I stayed here on a business trip and was greeted by an absolutely lovely receptionist named Anita. At first there was a problem with my bathroom but the staff quickly relocated me to another very pleasant room. This was the helpful assistance I would've expected from a hotel of this standard.

The room was comfortable and cozy, enough for my personal taste. There is also a Spa area, Jacuzzi and a small pool, which was very relaxing during my evening swim. The breakfast was very good and had a range of tasty options.

The location is fantastic - 10 minutes walking max to everything and close to the train station. At the same time, the surrounding area was quiet at night and didn't have any trouble sleeping.

On my final day, I managed to forget my passport in the hotel safe, but the staff - Anita and Vladimir - were both extremely helpful and swift in helping me recover it. They even offered to help with the postage but I managed to organise a DHL myself. Regardless, thank you to both of them for being great staff members!

Overall, great place and good location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Luton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Montaigne as part of an accompanied tour group and arrived with not too definite expectations. It was very centrally located, down a side street, within a couple of minutes walk of shops, Cannes railway station and lots of busy roads. I feared that it would be a noisy place, particularly at night but from apart from a couple of small exceptions, it seemed well sound-proofed.

My initial impression was of its general smartness, both in the public areas and the room, which contained all the necessary amenities that one would expect from a 4 star establishment. The bed was comfy and the room was neither too hot or two cold. The indoor swimming pool was a pleasurable visit for me, donning the white gown and slippers provided and making my way discretely down there to floor -1 in the lift. The pool area was lit with a blue light, with part of it containing a jacuzzi function, operated at the press of a button on the side. Just the right temperature and environment for chilling out!

It was fairly difficult to rate the service of the staff, as I did not seem to see a great deal of them as I was going about my business. From my brief encounters with them, they seemed polite and okay, if not particularly over-friendly, though one chappie in their restaurant was very forgiving towards me for forgetting my room number on my first visit :-)

All in all, a wonderful break for me in a hotel that I would certainly be willing to revisit, should my travels take me back to the south of France.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. If you have to be meeting a group at a particular time downstairs, allow plen...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2014
Dear Pammie,

Many thanks for this detailed comment and your compliments concerning the rooms and the Spa. It was a pleasure reading it and to share it with my staff.

Hope to welcome you again,

Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2014

We stayed here with Grand Circle Tour Group. We were traveling with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law so they put us in adjoining rooms which was very nice and conveneint. Their room had a small balcony, not for sitting, but to go out on. Our room was very nice with all the amentities, comfy bed, nice modern bathroom, flat screen tv with Englisht speaking stations. The hotel is located on a side street, which was quiet, but just steps away is the main streets. Lots of traffice, kinda reminded me of standing in NY Times Square with the cars coming every which way. Pay attention to the "little green" walking man sign, although everyone goes against it and jay walks - LOL. Just be careful. Once in the town, you have everything you want, restaurants, shopping, pharmacies, etc. Due to being on a tour group, we were provided a continental+ breakfast for the 2 days there. Coffee was good, pasteries good, eggs good; nice variety of food to choose. You can eat inside or there is a very nice garden patio area. Sat in the garden area one afternoon for a glass of wine, which was wonderful; the servers and staff at the hotel were all very very nice, friendly, helpful. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bunky,
Many thanks for your very nice comment and all the usefull tips for other travellers. You are right, unfortunately no one respects the “little green man”  one has to look everywhere before passing!
Hope to welcome you again on Grand Circle Tour or on your own!

Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

Stayed at this hotel with our tour group. The hotel is on a side street making it nice and quiet. There is a large reception area for sitting and also an outside patio where you take have meals. The elevators are small and slow. The room itself was a good size - it was clean and the beds comfy. The bathroom was a good size as well with a shower that had instructions. It had jets for every part of the body. The breakfast buffet had a good selection of items. Do not go early for breakfast as they will not open the doors for you. You have to wait until the designated time. We went early and were told to leave. You can have your breakfast in the sitting area outside by the waterfall. Very nice. I found inside the restaurant to be too warm.

We were on a lower floor so rather than using the elevator, we used the stairs. The stairs are circular (not the regular straight line stairs) and the lights inside the stairwell only come when it detects you. Not sure I would want to walk all the way down in a fire.

The hotel is located a couple of blocks from shopping, restaurants and the sea. The location is quite good except if you want parking - that may be an issue.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay at it again.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor so you don't have to wait for the elevator. There are larger rooms but we...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Holly,
I was very pleased to read your comment, thank you for taking the time to write it and for all the compliments. I wish to apologize for the rude way of refusing you at the breakfast room before 7am.
Concerning the stairs; we do have an other stairway at least double as wide as the one you took, sorry that you were not informed about it. It is located just at left of the reception.
Looking forward to welcome you again,

Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed three nights at the Montaigne in May, arriving the last night of the Cannes Film Festival. Hence, Cannes was extremely busy. The hotel and room decor is contemporary. We stayed in a comfortable junior suite on the fourth floor facing the back and a patio which served drinks well into the night. It was quite loud one night. However, the back is probably preferable to the front. The modern shower is so complicated that the hotel provides written instructions which were not too helpful. We managed to get some of it to work. The rooms were very clean. I found the hotel to be a little too far from the main streets to provide easy walking to restaurants. If one doesn't mind a 20 minute walk, the return uphill, it would be fine. On a Sunday evening there were no restaurants open in the immediate area. The hotel has a dining room which we thought pricey - but it is Cannes and France. The breakfast room offered an excellent buffet. The staff was not particularly friendly, but it was crowded with many tourists. Another time I would choose Nice over Cannes for overnight stays.

Room Tip: The junior suite was very comfortable. The noise from the back patio on the ground floor can be a di...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Serge_Reinhard, Directeur général at Montaigne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear Joan,
Many thanks for this very constructive appreciation! I have read it through with my staff and we are finding solutions for the details to improve. Thank you for pointing out that the instructions for the hydromassage showers are not clear enough, I have asked to work on it to make it clearer.

If ever you decide to come to Cannes after your visit in Nice…Do not hesitate to contact us!

Serge Reinhard

Been to Montaigne Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!