“During Cannes Lions” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 135 Hotels in Cannes
bucharest
“During Cannes Lions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

So I thought I should finally find some time and make a review of Azurene Royal.

I've been here for 6 nights in June 2012 during the Cannes Lions Festival.
Cannes is very crowded during Cannes Lions so accommodation rates fly up to the sky. For 6 nights at Azurene Royal I've payed 750 euros - but because they don't have a PayPal account or some other kind of pay by credit card facility THOUGH THEY DID REQUIRE A HALF AMOUNT IN ADVANCE I've done it by bank transfer which added another 25 euros to my costs (actually, before reaching to this payment solution they asked for my credit card number, expiry date and secret code :-) ... which, of course I was not willing to provide - I don't think they had bad intentions, I think it was just about lack of knowledge).

Now although during the Cannes Lions prices go up to the sky as I've said, this was my 5th travel to the festival and this 775 euros per 6 nights was the highest price I've paid.

The greatest thing about the hotel is it's location! It's literally 2 minutes walk from the beach, 4 minutes walk from The Palais and right in the middle of terraces and shopping area.

Cleaning ladies do their job quite fine, I was provided with clean towels and everything, room cleaning every time I was out of the room and so on (but I do have to mention I ran out of toilet paper once).

The not so great part about the hotel is that it has very small rooms - but that's Cannes, most of the 2&3* hotels have tiny rooms.

Well... the worst thing about the hotel is the fact that it REALLY needs a little refurbishing... the wall paint has done it's life, the furniture items look old and filthy, pictures on the wall are either missing or they are dismantled, and the blankets are Ikea's CHEEP, OLD AND GROSS... so that no matter how hard they try to keep the rooms clean, it gives you an over all feeling of filth (see the pictures).

The personnel is rather friendly.

Now... I might have been a little bit harsh (too honest) with this review, but as I said I've payed a considerable amount for my staying... and while I do realise a complete renovation would be quite expensive for the owners, I can't refrain from thinking that with 3 or 4 thousand euros they can easily change those blankets, put some decent pictures on the walls and take care of other minor things that would offer a guest a completely different feeling.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
azurene, Propriétaire at Azurene Royal Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
First of all , thank you for coming. 129 € per day is a very good rate to stay so close to the Palais during the Advertising Film Festival. With our spectacular location you are right in the middle of the most attractive places in Cannes, you can enjoy all the parties and still get back late at night without having to pay an expensive cab. If you decide to stay in a cheaper hotel further away, it would end up being more expensive overall. Sorry, there was a misunderstanding about the credit card. To secure (to hold) a room we never ask for the credit card’s secret code, we ask for the 3 digits on the back of the card. All guests provide these details and do not pay any additional costs. If you had provided the security number you wouldn't have had to pay 25€ for bank transfer.

We have changed the pictures on the wall, they were broken by the guests before you and we didn't figure out they were damaged at the time. They are fixed now. I am so sorry you didn't like the Ikea blankets, but it is a bedspread not a blanket. We check them and clean them after each guest, they are not old and we believe they are good quality. As you can imagine it is not possible to provide very luxurious and expensive bedspread, they are simple and clean and I think they are pretty nice too!
I hope you appreciate that the maid did not bother you before 14:00h every day, while cleaning rooms is no longer guaranteed after 12:00h in many other hotels.
We also want to keep the character of a family hotel with a history, many of our customers appreciate this atmosphere, and we provide on-going improvements.
Thank you for coming and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Average hotel, good prices, nothing special, just a cheap place to stay during the Cannes Film Festival. No lift, rooms could be noisy but if you're used to a 2* or 3* could be good. Free wifi. Owners very friendly....French. Very good location!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in July 2012. I cannot thank the owners enough. The property was EXACTLY like advertised, 30-seconds away from the beach, as well as from the shopping street, surrounded by all kinds of restaurants and bistros. The room was small and very clean, just perfect for any stay, especially if you prefer some privacy. Both owners were very helpful in helping us finding parking and directing us towards better restaurants. Perfect match of budget and value. I definitely will stay here next time in Cannes.

Room Tip: I have booked through booking.com and they have very good description of properties. Read through it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
azurene, Propriétaire at Azurene Royal Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for your visit, it was a pleasur to welcome you, we thank you for your presence and your kindness. We always do our best to satisfy you and hope to see you soon.
Pierre
Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

The Azurene is run by a lovely couple which is very helpful if you want to do trips around Cannes and can provide you with precious information. The hotel itself is very small and perfectly located just a few steps away from the shore and just a couple of minutes away from the train station. The price is also fantastic, especially when you consider that you are in the middle of Cannes. Also worth noting is that just next to the hotel you can find the restaurant "Pastis", which is a fantastic place, mostly visited by local people. Sadly, there is a pretty hefty downside to this. The room we got was nothing like the ones you see in the pictures. It is best described as a hole with just enough room for a double bed. The walls and ceilings were run down and the bathroom was showing its age too. Also the cover sheet on the bed was awfully old and had several stains. The biggest problem though was the cigarette smell in the room, so that our stay was everything but romantic. Not suited for non smokers for sure. At least though the room was clean. Now if you really travel on a budget you could give it a shot, but make sure you ask for a new room. As we could see during the cleanup there were some pretty nice and much bigger rooms, but they had two separate beds, so this may have been my mistake when making a reservation for a room with a double bed. Also you should know that you are going to stay in a part of the town with lots of restaurants and bars, so it could get loud in the evening, especially if you have a room facing the street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
pierw, Propriétaire at Azurene Royal Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
First of all, thank you for coming. Believe me, we strive to satisfy as many of our customers as possible. I understand that you appreciated the fair price but I'm surprised you have not done your remarks upon arriving at the hotel. I'm sorry you found the room small. Indeed for 50 € per day, you have got a small room, in a quiet courtyard. We would have loved to have you upgrade to a larger room, as we usually do when possible unless the hotel is full. You have seen a larger room with separate beds but we also have them with double beds, all rooms are different .. The smell of smoke is extremely rare because the hotel is completely non smoking. and we do our best to enforce the ban. However we can not always prevent unscrupulous customers from doing it. In this case we take steps to remove the smell but it is not immediate.
You stayed in a courtyard room, so you probably ignore that the rooms facing the street have acoustic windows, and that they are not particularly noisy.
You should have spoken up while you were staying a the hotel, because we would have been more than happy to find a solution and improve your comfort.
Looking forward to seeing you again, best regards
Pierre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The Azurene Royal Hotel was located in a fantastic spot (yes that picture is really from their windows!). Whilst the stairs are a bit of a hassle, once the wonderful hosts realised that we had bags, they helped us, and were even considerate enough to give us an easier to get to room because of our big bags!

Breakfast was delicious, and if I return to Cannes, I will definitely stay here again. The rooms are neat and simple, perfect for what you want, and a fantastic price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is a really well located hotel and provides clean and simple accommodation. It's ideal if you are attending a trade show as its just three minutes from the Palais. The owners are very friendly and provide breakfast (extra charge) if required. We always chose a rear facing room - no view but definitely quieter than street view. Wifi and flat screen TV.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

This is a SMALL BUDGET HOTEL on a nice street, 2 short blocks from the BEACH and promenade that are a central attraction of Cannes. The street is LIVELY AT NIGHT, filled with restaurants and people dining outdoors until the wee hours. My room faced the street, but with the windows and shutters closed, i didn't find it too noisy. My room was a double-- small, but laid out in a fairly user-friendly way. There was a desk & chair, a fair amount of closet space for such a small room, and a small but clean bathroom. Decor is simple, but smart in a "budget" kind of way. The STAFF were all very friendly and helpful, offering practical travel advice, and carrying my bags up the stairs (many stairs, no elevator!). A minor downside was that there was not 24 hour reception- staff was gone around 7-8 pm each night, and you would type in a security code to access the front door (this worked fine, but i always wonder what might happen if you lost your key or needed some kind of assistance and no one was there?)

A/C WORKED like a charm (and it was hot out in Sept!)

FREE WIFI.

I thought the price was a bit steep, but then Cannes is expensive, and this seemed like one of the more inexpensive options in the center of town. The main draw for me was how close it was to the beach...and it happens to be close to one of the FREE, PUBLIC sections of the beach too. I would stay here again. However, I might also consider finding a more quiet spot a few more blocks from the Croisette if the price were right.

Room Tip: I chose a room facing the street. The rooms in the back on the 1st floor (not the ground floor) open...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Azurene Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!